PDA

View Full Version : Would you let them do this?

GJPinAU
09-20-2005, 05:36 PM
As you know my car is being used in a soapie. At first it was wanted for 1 day, today was the 3rd and next they want to use it in a chase scene using a professional driver etc, it has been explained that they need to smoke up the tyres and fish tail down the road an more later.

Just interested as to whether you'd let them do it to your cars?

632 Regal
09-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Are you kidding! No way unless I get a new BMW when their done.

mikemaster
09-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Depends how much they are paying!! Maybe you can get some new tires out of the deal as well.

SharkmanBMW
09-20-2005, 05:40 PM
As you know my car is being used in a soapie. At first it was wanted for 1 day, today was the 3rd and next they want to use it in a chase scene using a professional driver etc, it has been explained that they need to smoke up the tyres and fish tail down the road an more later.

I am not sure if you have a 6 speed or an auto, but i would be reluctant to let someone "smoke up the tyres and fish tail down the road" in my auto UNLESS they were paying for all repairs in full (including a 6 speed tranny swap!)

Anton CH.
09-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I'd do it if I got to do the chase scene.

RobPatt
09-20-2005, 06:21 PM
...yours or theirs, pro driver or not... then again, is your car worth more to you than the insured value..? ( mine is ). sounds cool though, unique opportunity... hope you're getting paid... :-)

GJPinAU
09-20-2005, 06:35 PM
...yours or theirs, pro driver or not... then again, is your car worth more to you than the insured value..? ( mine is ). sounds cool though, unique opportunity... hope you're getting paid... :-)
I get AU$300 a day (well for the couple of hours its needed for) so the car is earning more than me at the moment. I believe thay would replace anything that was broken during the shoot as the guy who is hiring the car noticed a parking lot ding and was upset that it might have happened today.
He also said that if I'm not happy with anything they are doing that I can tell them not to do it (whether they listen is another thing).

Gayle
09-20-2005, 06:39 PM
No I wouldn't. I don't want anyone driving my car. Have you seen that Maxima commercial where the guy touches the girl's car and gets the flash fantasy of doing the race number in it. Then she pushes his arm off the car and says "not on a first date". That is the way I am with my car except it is always a first date.

I will barely let my husband drive my car and that is when we are together and I just can't keep my eyes open any longer. It has to be to the point that the choice is between having a wreck or letting him drive and it is still not an easy choice. Then I will let him drive, but I have to bite my tongue to not complain about his shifting technique. And even though I will let him drive it when I am pushed to the wall, under no circumstances is he authorized to parallel park my car with its OEM M parallels.

Alexlind123
09-20-2005, 06:46 PM
I would love to see you car doing that. :) And what can they possibly hurt in one little chase scene. Some people drive their e34's at tracks all the time, and 10 mins will cause less wear than a track session. If given the chance, i might well do it. I would worry about them breaking my transmission while doing a brake stand or some other such stunt, but as long as they didnt harm anything i would be very tempted. Just think, years later you can show your grandkids the video and tell them about your favorite car. :D

nuwde
09-20-2005, 07:13 PM
i would let them do it to my car, especially if getting paid and they are responsible for all the damage/wear&tear. my car is not in first rate shape to begin with (but i still love it). and yeah, there is definitely some bragging rights gained if it is used. pretty cool to me.

632 Regal
09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
That would definetly drop the MPG value on my OBC.

Sweetwater
09-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Never heard the response to auto or 6-speed.........

A good driver (pro) could smoke tires with either, but I know my auto wouldn't like being abused that way.

OTOH, do you get to watch them and can you have a mechanic certify it afterwards?

SharkmanBMW
09-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Never heard the response to auto or 6-speed.........

A good driver (pro) could smoke tires with either, but I know my auto wouldn't like being abused that way.

OTOH, do you get to watch them and can you have a mechanic certify it afterwards?

exactly, you may do a smoke show for the camera and a week later your valve body explodes and your tranny says bye bye!

wear and tear that may only show the next time you stomp the pedal to move out of the way of a truck and *nothing* happens!

stx133
09-20-2005, 08:27 PM
They want to smoke the tyres, get them to put some narrow retreads on for the sceene, will put less strain on the transmission. double the money for the wear and tear.

GJPinAU
09-20-2005, 08:41 PM
exactly, you may do a smoke show for the camera and a week later your valve body explodes and your tranny says bye bye!

wear and tear that may only show the next time you stomp the pedal to move out of the way of a truck and *nothing* happens!
OK, its an auto, have any of the V8 drivers tried to do this??

digitaldragon03
09-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Auto and burnout equals bad.

bimmerd00d
09-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Only if i'm the stunt driver in my own car ;)

pmlmotorsports
09-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Not A Chance

uscharalph
09-20-2005, 09:26 PM
I get AU$300 a day (well for the couple of hours its needed for) so the car is earning more than me at the moment. I believe thay would replace anything that was broken during the shoot as the guy who is hiring the car noticed a parking lot ding and was upset that it might have happened today.
He also said that if I'm not happy with anything they are doing that I can tell them not to do it (whether they listen is another thing).
On that day you should be getting a lot more per day + an amount if new tires are needed + guaranteed repairs (In writing) + they should have it insured. It sounds like they already need to repair the ding.

uscharalph
09-20-2005, 09:27 PM
On that day you should be getting a lot more per day + an amount if new tires are needed + guaranteed repairs (In writing) + they should have it insured. It sounds like they already need to repair the ding.
Plus I would want a DVD of the scenes they shoot. That's be cool to have.

stx133
09-20-2005, 09:28 PM
tell them you need a trans oil cooler to be sure of your tranny (at their cost) then there should be little problem on the tranny

mattyb
09-20-2005, 09:49 PM
not with mine i wouldnt, but i like the idea of a spare set of wheels with cheese cutters on. then ud have a spare set for the future shoots in movies atc. some body once wanted to use mine for a chase seen in a movie and i said no way!!!

Zeuk in Oz
09-20-2005, 10:16 PM

Not a chance for that money !
Only way I would let them would be if they paid for it first !

Incantation
09-20-2005, 11:50 PM
dude if they have already used the car it will be a huge pain in the ass for them to find a new one that looks like yours, and they won't want to re-film with a different one.. it will be cheaper for them just to use yours.

now that they need it up the price to 5 grand/day :D

genphreak
09-21-2005, 02:20 AM
I like Gayle's angle on it... the only thing is the blaring hypocrisy of which I speak:

My car (auto) drifts (sometimes). But its only ever really by accident, usually out of corners when I'm in a blind hurry.

I guess that's why this happened.. :( seee below

I wouldn't let them smoke my baby. They'll be after effect and won't give a damn about the car that is paid to be on set.

I never drop it in a straight line (whish is what they will want to do) DO NOT let them rev it up and drop it into gear no matter what, the spin should only come from a natural squeeze of the pedal- and perhaps some lubricating road fluid.

The only way to do it would indeed be with some oil on the road. Works a treat! Narrow tyres are cool, but oil is important. Water and washing up liquid might make lots of steam, but the oil keeps the smoke coming. If it runs dry, your car will be damaged in all sorts of places, though it may not show for some time.

I think I'd place some limits on how long they can do what for, so long as I didn;t care about my car, but heh, I forgot, I don't... (NOT)

and... beware you could break something...

SRR2
09-21-2005, 07:11 AM
I'd consider it, but a) for $1000/day b) two new rear tires, and c) a three-year, no deductible bumper-to-bumper extended warranty fully paid up BEFORE they touch it.

bimmerd00d
09-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Plus I would want a DVD of the scenes they shoot. That's be cool to have.

YES. Also get it in mpeg or wmv so we can watch it :)

mikey535im
09-21-2005, 09:30 AM
I would think they would consider doing the smokey, fishtailing burnout Chemically induced. Bleach is rather slippery and will smoke the tires to nevers end. Should be easier on the drive train ....just watch the rev limiter!

Qube
09-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Liability is a dangerous thing. Have someone knowledgable draft up something in writing before even thinking about it!

GJPinAU
09-21-2005, 03:55 PM
YES. Also get it in mpeg or wmv so we can watch it :)
I got a friend of mine who's got a DVD recorder and his kids watch the show. I'll get him to record it, then I'll make a Quicktime movie from that for anyone interested in it. Like I said before, I don't know how much airtime she'll get, but you'd think after 5 days (so far) it would be a bit, depends on how long the bad guy character lasts.

Kalevera
09-21-2005, 05:02 PM

Just wait until they have to do the bloody driveby shooting scene, or the car bomb scene.

For what it's worth, the car already has a trans cooler (rather, a heat exchanger).

best, whit

genphreak
09-21-2005, 06:28 PM
I would think they would consider doing the smokey, fishtailing burnout Chemically induced. Bleach is rather slippery and will smoke the tires to nevers end. Should be easier on the drive train ....just watch the rev limiter! I'm not sure I'd be into bleach.

Surely Bleach steam is a tad corrosive on the underbody? It'd get right through the car..

genphreak
09-21-2005, 06:29 PM

Just wait until they have to do the bloody driveby shooting scene, or the car bomb scene.

For what it's worth, the car already has a trans cooler (rather, a heat exchanger).

best, whit..until they fish-tail it head-on into a high gutter...

Am Piobaire
09-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Depends upon what soapie it's for I suppose - Neighbours or Home and Away? Probably not - unless you get to meet some of the young blonde starlets!!

Maybe you could do the stunt scenes involving the back seat!!

genphreak
09-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Hahahhahaha no, knowing our luck it'd be a guest appearance by Melanie C (Spice-'Girl') , as she's in Sydney atm. :p man has she got some bad-ass tatoos.

And some pretty bad ass to match. She really needs to find a slightly more subtle way to age. Clearly though its a matter of once a Spice-girl, only a Spice-girl.

The sooner they're gone the better..

GJPinAU
09-21-2005, 11:28 PM

LMAO. We haven't had to do a scene in Bankstown or "The Rocks" maybe the week after.

GJPinAU
09-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Depends upon what soapie it's for I suppose - Neighbours or Home and Away? Probably not - unless you get to meet some of the young blonde starlets!!

Maybe you could do the stunt scenes involving the back seat!!
It's Home&Away. I get to see the pretty young girls and they are better in real life than on the gigglebox. I'm taking my teenage sons next week to get autographs. I was thinking of getting a couple of signatures inside the cover of my Owners Manual.

Randell
09-22-2005, 01:31 AM
looks like you're running 235/18 ZR40s like me (we have the same wheels), in which case they won't be able to find a set of retreads unless they pick up some fully used bald 18" tires from somewhere, which i doubt they will

if they don't brake-torque to start the burnout i'd say the mechanicals of the car will withstand it, but i would be asking for more than the $300/day you're getting (for that day anyway)

why do they have to do a burnout anyway? it's home & away, they should be promoting responsible driving, not bogan smoke-ups.. especially not in a classy car like yours!