PDA

View Full Version : Sachs Install - I'm pleased...( not there yet, but can already feel the difference...

RobPatt
09-20-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm no mechanical wonder, but after reading Whit Lowell's confidence inspiring write-up and glossing through my bentleys... I have to say the project's really been a piece of cake. This is the first suspension work I've ever done, and I'm doing thrust arms as well. I had both front struts out in an hour, and the control arms about 30 min later. The rears were also easy to remove... the most stubborn (the only stubborn) part was literally getting them out (the rears) from the car after removing all the bolts... they just wouldn't drop down. Took a 2 hour break as I had to run around town finding spring compressors... the shop I was at ( an auto hobby shop on an Air Force base ) had a machine, but the BMW strut wouldn't fit in the machine.... so off to buy compressors... then back at it, and still went smoothly. Just look before you leap, and think it through... if you're fighting it, you're probably going about it the wrong way. This mindset has worked for everything I've done on this car... everything fluid changes, belts, tensionor, brakes, total set cable repairs... stereo, speakers, and I'm probably forgetting something. Alas, however, I'm not done. Just need to put the newly assembled struts into the car, all 4 of them, put it all back on, button up to the right torques, and see how it goes. Very happy. ( I also find it amazing that the rears on the sachs kit totally hold up the bottom of the spring w/just that little circlip. Wow. well that's how they made it, we'll see how it goes. Great day, great board, hurry and get done in the morning so I can catch some of that surf Rita's sending my way. Cheers everyone - Rob sends....

liquidtiger720
09-20-2005, 07:13 PM
I was amazed by that little clip too. My car is still standing tho. =)

uscharalph
09-20-2005, 09:42 PM
"if you're fighting it, you're probably going about it the wrong way. This mindset has worked for everything I've done on this car... "

Good Advice!

genphreak
09-21-2005, 02:23 AM
Best short summary I've seen for a while. Good little post Robb. Good luck in that killer surf (don't get any spray on your nice 5er tho) :) GP