PDA

View Full Version : Locked out and the batteries dead

bskp
09-20-2005, 12:26 AM
I left my lights on last night and now the batteries dead. So now with the battery dead I'm locked out of my car which leads to another problem. How do I open the hood from the outside? Is there an easy way to pick the lock or open the hood without calling a locksmith? It's a 1988 520I.

BM-BOY
09-20-2005, 12:47 AM
I left my lights on last night and now the batteries dead. So now with the battery dead I'm locked out of my car which leads to another problem. How do I open the hood from the outside? Is there an easy way to pick the lock or open the hood without calling a locksmith? It's a 1988 520I.

I know the answer to this one!! I had this happen to me a while ago...

Simply insert key into lock, lift the door handle and turn the key... Hopefully that should work... I think I had to do it on the passenger side, but its pretty simple anyways...

Cheers

Carlos

ojw
09-20-2005, 12:49 AM
it happened to me this morning! in fact i'm now sat in the car with the laptop, having connected jump leads from my van - there is now power, but the engine won't turn over - i'm assuming that it's something to do with the alarm, since the red LED is flashing away to itself?? Any ideas???

ojw
09-20-2005, 12:49 AM
I should add that i am only sat inside the car due to this awesome forum!!! thanks!

Zeuk in Oz
09-20-2005, 12:50 AM
On mine I can unlock the boot (trunk) and then a small person (child) can crawl throught the armrest hole and unlock a door.

bskp
09-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Thanks BM-BOY. It worked. yeah it only worked on the passenger side. Luckily I had a spare battery that I jumped it myself and spared myself the embarrassment.

ojw
09-20-2005, 01:19 AM
ok, having no luck trying to jump start it, is it possible with these cars or does it just knock the alarm system all over the place?

shogun
09-20-2005, 03:22 AM
Do you have an alarm system and was it in operation?
If so, follow the instructions in the owners manual. As you are now in the car I guess you have access to the owners manual in your glovebox.
Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes........

On mine I can unlock the boot (trunk) and then a small person (child) can crawl throught the armrest hole and unlock a door.

Zeuk:
be careful with that. In case of the E32 and probably also in case of the E34 the doors cannot be opened from the inside by pulling the pins when the car is deadlocked.That is a safety measure that no one with a nice tool can open the car from the outside by pulling the pin from there.
So what happens if someone crawled in the car and cannnot get out again?