PDA

View Full Version : another OT Computer Q mac-PC

632 Regal
09-19-2005, 11:16 AM
where else do you go when you have a pc related Q? the bimmer board of course!

Can I open a Mac based Quark Express file in Windoze Quark?

Jay 535i
09-19-2005, 12:01 PM
I think so, yes, provided you're using newish versions of Quark and Windows.

I prefer InDesign myself, and have no trouble at all going between PC and Mac. I'm sure Quark is the same.

632 Regal
09-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks, that gives me an angle of what to do here.

2 graphics places cant seem to be able to do anything with this file, I witnessed the last one with corrupted fonts and stuff. I read a little on it and it says to drop all the files, images and fonts to a folder in the computer and not to run off disk.

I have Indesign but prefer pagemaker and that had a quark converter that is pretty limited, especially with gradiants and half tones.

I think so, yes, provided you're using newish versions of Quark and Windows.

I prefer InDesign myself, and have no trouble at all going between PC and Mac. I'm sure Quark is the same.

Jay 535i
09-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Jeff, I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. If you can elaborate a bit I'm sure I can help you.

If what you're saying is that you're sending a file to a printer and they're botching it, then the obvious solution is for you to send a PDF. You should be able to export your file as a PDF, which will solve those issues.

Alternatively, you may have something under your File menu along the lines of 'package document' or 'package for printing' or something like that that suggests that all relavent font files, graphics, etc. will be saved to a folder, reader to go to the professional printer. I know InDesign has this. Sorry, I'm less familliar with Quark and Pagemaker. Stopped using them when InDesign came out 5 or so years ago.

632 Regal
09-19-2005, 02:14 PM
Thats exactly what I need...a PDF. What the customer provided was a mac base quark file that no one knows what their doing with. I dont have Quark, I dont know mac, OR quark yet but I do know that there is a bunch of sub folders on the disk one with fonts and a couple with images. I also read that your supposed to drop it all into a "folder" that you create on the working computer...people, designers, and other sources are just inept at times. If you want it done right you have to do it yourself.

GJPinAU
09-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Thats exactly what I need...a PDF. What the customer provided was a mac base quark file that no one knows what their doing with. I dont have Quark, I dont know mac, OR quark yet but I do know that there is a bunch of sub folders on the disk one with fonts and a couple with images. I also read that your supposed to drop it all into a "folder" that you create on the working computer...people, designers, and other sources are just inept at times. If you want it done right you have to do it yourself.
How big is the file Jeff? You can send it to me and I'll make a pdf of it if you'd like.
cheers,
Greg

Jay 535i
09-19-2005, 05:47 PM

All the files don't necessarily belong in the same folder. What matters is that their relative paths (http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/r/relapath.htm) are the same as they were when the document was created. You say the disk is full of subfolders. You need to preserve their relative relationships.

The fonts from the Mac may not be compatible with a PC. That's particularly likely if your customer is an amateur.

Lastly, it's not enough to copy the fonts into the correct folder. You have to install them on the system for them to work. On a PC, that means copying them to your windows/fonts folder. In Max OSX you would use the FontBook to do it.

A PDF avoids all this. That's why it's the best way to go -- but not the only way.

632 Regal
09-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Yeah windoz quark is having issues...this sux
Pics look like crap, matching fonts wasnt too bad, close no cigar tho.

All the files don't necessarily belong in the same folder. What matters is that their relative paths (http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/r/relapath.htm) are the same as they were when the document was created. You say the disk is full of subfolders. You need to preserve their relative relationships.

The fonts from the Mac may not be compatible with a PC. That's particularly likely if your customer is an amateur.

Lastly, it's not enough to copy the fonts into the correct folder. You have to install them on the system for them to work. On a PC, that means copying them to your windows/fonts folder. In Max OSX you would use the FontBook to do it.

A PDF avoids all this. That's why it's the best way to go -- but not the only way.

632 Regal
09-19-2005, 06:22 PM
is it cause I have windoz that the font folder is 0 bites? says font name , no ext and zero bites...hmmm

MBXB
09-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Jeff,

It's been a while since I've messed with Quark or Pagemaker, but one of the things we made sure of when we sent docs to the next guy down the food chain was the inclusion of the fonts. If they aren't in the font folder, the next app that tries to resolve the doc will grab the default font on the puter that's opening it, resulting in weird looking stuff. This goes for either Mac or 'Doze versions.

Ramon

is it cause I have windoz that the font folder is 0 bites? says font name , no ext and zero bites...hmmm

Jay 535i
09-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Jeff,

It's been a while since I've messed with Quark or Pagemaker, but one of the things we made sure of when we sent docs to the next guy down the food chain was the inclusion of the fonts. If they aren't in the font folder, the next app that tries to resolve the doc will grab the default font on the puter that's opening it, resulting in weird looking stuff. This goes for either Mac or 'Doze versions.

Ramon

True. That's why printers prefer PDF. PDF makes fonts irrelevant. But also remember what I said earlier about fonts: it's not enough to have them with or near the Quark document. They have to be installed in the OS.

Jeff, it sounds like you have one or more corrupt or incomplete font files. No file can be 0 bytes and be okay.

When you say the pics are crap, have you printed them? They will look crap on screen because Quark does that for performance reasons. They may print okay. There's no reason the quality of the pics should have suffered in the transfer to your machine. I haven't used Quark in a while, so it may have improved, but when I last used it you couldn't trust the screen to give you an accurate idea of what the printed page will look like. Quark cuts major corners when rendering on screen to keep the application's drain on system resources down. Do a test print to see what it really looks like.