PDA

View Full Version : Where has all my power steering fluid gone?

BM-BOY
09-19-2005, 12:10 AM
I need some advise please :D
My power steering fluid must be leaking from somewhere - I bought a litre of CHF 7.1 from my local parts store the other day, and filled up the reservoir (it was pretty much empty, and making a right noise). Literally two days later the reservoir is empty again.:(

Anyone know where it might be leaking from? I had a quick look around the PS pump, but couldn't see any obvious leakage...

mattyb
09-19-2005, 12:21 AM
hey mate ,how r u doing and hows that damn fine car of yours? I had the same prob and it was coming from 2 places. !. some hoses directly under the resevior were **** so had em repalced, fixed 1 problem. 2. hydro unit arghhh.main problem on mine maybe the same n yours, on the left side of the engine bay towards the back up top, is where the combined efforts of the abs unit and other bits get together. go to real oem and have alook. i have a microscopic fracture which loses the fluid from under the lower bolt holding the unit together. i use thicker fluid cause i cant afford to fix it right now. i hope yours is not the same cause it aint cheap. we wanna see more pics of your car, in the sunshine yeh and all polished up!

BM-BOY
09-19-2005, 01:23 AM
You may have to wait a while for the photo's - I think summer is over for us now, so no more sunshine! :( (Although if the sun does come out, I'll see what I can do...)

Cheers for your advice matty, I'll take a look when I get home from work...

rps1072
09-19-2005, 06:27 AM
I had a leak in a hose a couple of inches from where it connects to the cooling hose. It was hard to find because the lines are under higher pressure when they are in use. All of your PS fluid is coming out while you are driving. Try to fill the reservoir then have someone steer while you watch the lines--preferably when the car is parked.

genphreak
09-19-2005, 07:16 AM
My resovoir always gets lightly covered in fluid on the outside, but I can't see any cracks or leaks and the level stays up, so I guess its seeping out of the resovoir seams very slowly.

Has anyone had the same issue? Do the resovioirs need replacement? I think they are on eBay for $20 odd so its probaly worth buying one to see... :) GP

rps1072
09-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Mine is usually pretty messy, so maybe something is happening like that. It is never a measurable amount in the reservoir level, so I ignore it. Changing the reservoir probably wouldn't hurt.

Kalevera
09-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Guys, after years of use, the fluid will seep through the rubber hoses. They need to be replaced, and it'll be evident as the entire area around the hoses (and the hoses themselves) will be nastily wet and start collecting road dust.

BM-Boy -- do you have LAD? I would think that your car would take ATF in the PS reservoir. CHF 7.1, to my knowledge, is only for cars with rear self leveling. The V8s, with or without use that other CHF fluid....I can never remember the number -- 5. something?! 11. something? ah well, Bidoli knows and he'll pipe up with it once he "wakes up off of that 5 day drunk" :D

best, whit

MBXB
09-19-2005, 06:20 PM
I had a similar leak and traced it down to the rubber hoses coming from the reservoir which run right next to the left exhaust manifold. Thermal expansion/contraction loosend the clamps. I wrapped the rubber hose in Thermo-sleeve.

540 V8s use CHF-11S

Ramon

Guys, after years of use, the fluid will seep through the rubber hoses. They need to be replaced, and it'll be evident as the entire area around the hoses (and the hoses themselves) will be nastily wet and start collecting road dust.

BM-Boy -- do you have LAD? I would think that your car would take ATF in the PS reservoir. CHF 7.1, to my knowledge, is only for cars with rear self leveling. The V8s, with or without use that other CHF fluid....I can never remember the number -- 5. something?! 11. something? ah well, Bidoli knows and he'll pipe up with it once he "wakes up off of that 5 day drunk" :D

best, whit

632 Regal
09-19-2005, 06:29 PM
damn beat to the line!

I had a similar leak and traced it down to the rubber hoses coming from the reservoir which run right next to the left exhaust manifold. Thermal expansion/contraction loosend the clamps. I wrapped the rubber hose in Thermo-sleeve.

540 V8s use CHF-11S

Ramon

BM-BOY
09-20-2005, 01:55 AM

best, whit

Its says on the side of the reservoir "Use only CHF 7.1" so I guess I have self levelling suspension (whatever the hell that is... Anyone?) What is LAD??

I have my VIN number - WBAHD120303435925 - Can you tell?

cmk
09-20-2005, 04:50 PM
I had the same thing.
Check the gasket in the cap, it shrinks and hardens with age.
I replaced mine - no more mess on the outside.

Kalevera
09-20-2005, 07:23 PM
LAD = self leveling. Yes, the car must have it, although I didn't look. Funny, it must've been an option on the SEs.

Does the car have a rear sunshade? What about parked heating?

best, whit

BM-BOY
09-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I have a rear sunblind (not electric though :( ) I have no idea about parked heating though...
I actually had a look at the gasket in the cap, and it seemed very hard, not like rubber, as I would expect...