PDA

View Full Version : Right Rear window Pillar Trim Piece

uscharalph
09-18-2005, 11:13 PM
I was replacing a rear speaker today and couldn't get a couple of screws out, so I took off the rear pillar trim cover (Big Mistake). The posts are made of plastic and were brittle and broke off. Any one have any ideas for me. Its # 4 in the diagram.

uscharalph
09-18-2005, 11:15 PM
I was replacing a rear speaker today and couldn't get a couple of screws out, so I took off the rear pillar trim cover (Big Mistake). The posts are made of plastic and were brittle and broke off. Any one have any ideas for me. Its # 4 in the diagram.
By the way if anyone's got this part out of a parts car (As long as the plastic posts are still good), I might go that way. My interior is grey.

shogun
09-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Ralph,

they all break. If you get an old one, the probability is high that it will also break. The plastic is too brittle.
I had the same problem on one side when I replaced the headliner. Used a soldering iron and some other plastic and soldered the plastic hook together. Works.
Try to get another hook from a hardware store and try to glue it on, if that material allows it.

willobmw
09-19-2005, 06:54 AM
All the plastic on the E34 gets brittle when it gets old. You can look at it and it breaks. Whats up with that. My 75 2002 has parts that I have never replaced in 23 years of ownership including some dash bulbs. They just don't make them like they used to.
Willo
Good luck

Rigmaster
09-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Hey Ralph- I've got a used one in grey- can't promise that the fabric is super-clean, but the plastic is not broken. Let me know if you can't get yours fixed.

Bret.

uscharalph
09-25-2005, 11:44 PM
I was able to Gorilla Glue all 4 plastic tabs back into place. Almost like new!