PDA

View Full Version : Dual climate control....really?

rellik
09-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Hey everyone. My first post. (e46fanatics member however) I just recently purchased a 95 525iT. I've searched the forum, but it i haven't really found a concrete answer. I now understand that only certain vents blow hot air and others only blow cold air. The passenger side dial has very little resitance compared to the driver's side. It doesn't seen to make a difference on the passenger side no matter where the dial is at. I've also made sure the drivers side isn't in the "overide" position. Which vent(s) should I notice a temp change when I turn the passenger side dial?

rellik
09-18-2005, 03:34 PM
bump.....

Russell
09-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Your owners manual should have a good explaination of how the system works. it should be in the black leather/leatherette folder along with your radio code. If you do not have a manual check e-bay for a manual/folder or the dealer. If you do not have a radio code, consult the delaer for assistance. You will need it to rest your radio when you disconnect the battery.

That said the center dash vents above the radio should show a temperature change as the rotary dials are changed a sthey mix cool and warm air.

Note there is a center dial between the vents which contols the ac temperature a bit. Think of fine tuning the air temperature.

Also the center console vents in the rear are only fresh air and do not heat the air.

Someone may have a scan of the air distribution diagram shown in the manual.

Hey everyone. My first post. (e46fanatics member however) I just recently purchased a 95 525iT. I've searched the forum, but it i haven't really found a concrete answer. I now understand that only certain vents blow hot air and others only blow cold air. The passenger side dial has very little resitance compared to the driver's side. It doesn't seen to make a difference on the passenger side no matter where the dial is at. I've also made sure the drivers side isn't in the "overide" position. Which vent(s) should I notice a temp change when I turn the passenger side dial?

rellik
09-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks Russel. I am looking keeping an eye out for an owners manual which I'm sure will answer a lot of my initial questions.

Jay 535i
09-19-2005, 12:34 PM
FWIW, I also can't notice any difference when I fiddle with the passenger's dial. Maybe my busted A/C has something to do with that.

Russel, you said that the rotary dial for the face-level vents has to do with the A/C. So does that mean that without the A/C on (e.g. in winter) it does nothing? That would match my observations.

pyro
09-19-2005, 12:53 PM
mine dosn't do anything but i think thats related to my heater valves being slightly stuck open.

uscharalph
09-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks Russel. I am looking keeping an eye out for an owners manual which I'm sure will answer a lot of my initial questions.
Check out this link to a scanned owner's manual: http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/

MantecaBMW
09-19-2005, 04:01 PM
I asked the "stealer" the same question.....the difference in temp on the passenger side is minor....only 4 degrees in either direction from what is set on the drivers side....so the driver is at 70, the passenger can go fro 66 to 74 degrees.....but if the driver side is on max heat or max cool, the passenger side adjustments make no difference.

Jay 535i
09-19-2005, 05:49 PM
I asked the "stealer" the same question.....the difference in temp on the passenger side is minor....only 4 degrees in either direction from what is set on the drivers side....so the driver is at 70, the passenger can go fro 66 to 74 degrees.....but if the driver side is on max heat or max cool, the passenger side adjustments make no difference.

Heh, my driver's temp is always at either max heat or max cool. I have no A/C, so in the summer it's max cool. In the winter I tend to keep it on max heat and use the fan dial to control the temp.