PDA

View Full Version : Any easy way to unjam the Demister Vent?

Reidal
09-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi one and all

This is one of those Homer Simpson moments (Doh).

For months I've been meaning to pull a 3.5 inch blue pencil sitting in the passenger side windscreen demister vent directly next to the screen. How it got there? No one knows.

Now the pencil is gone from sight and the demister vent control will not activate. Coincidence? I think not! :(

Bentley is light on vent details and I'm scared silly at the prospect of having to remove the dash for something this minor.

Once people have stopped rolling on the floor laughing :D , does anyone have some sage advice on how I may be able to easily access the vent flap inside the demister vent itself to remove the pencil?

The car is a right hand drive 530i auto.

My lesson learned is clearly never put off till tomorrow what should be done today unless you want it to take much longer to get it done..

uscharalph
09-16-2005, 11:21 PM
If it can't be seen (You can't see it from outside looking into the windshield, right?), my idea about using a coat hanger won't work . Hopefully someone else can comne up with a simple fix.

Thanks though; you've taught me a lesson.

SRR2
09-17-2005, 04:07 AM
No laughing here. That's a "but for the grace of god...." moment. I wouldn't be too pleased with the prospect of having to dig into that area of the dash either. Sorry I can't offer anything more than sympathy.

smcgowan
09-17-2005, 04:31 AM
A coat hanger with double sided tape fixed to the tip. Has work for me in other situation. If it had some medal on the pencil, perhaps a small magnetic on a string.

Qsilver7
09-17-2005, 05:39 AM
Reid, you let the pencil drop down into #6 (see diagram link below)? I'm afraid the consequence will be the same as every man who's failed to pull out before the inevitable! :p

Link to: heater/AC /defrost outflow airduct diagram (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE22&mospid=47381&btnr=64_0141&hg=64&fg=05)

SRR2
09-17-2005, 05:44 AM
Sorry. I couldn't help laughing at that one!

Reidal
09-17-2005, 07:38 AM
;) Guess I'll try the sticky stick idea first (maybe come in from the side window vent).

I'm not afraid of much in cars, but dashboards give me the shakes, oh, and exhausts, and ball joints, and ..... Oh bugger it. Theres a first time for everything.