PDA

View Full Version : I, too, test drove an E39 ///M5 ...

Robin-535im
09-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Didn't start off too well because I got in an argument with the guy about letting it warm up at idle... Ha ha ha - kidding.

Really though, 2003 M5, 23k miles, $58k. Bone-stock, Really-dark-blue-metallic aka "Carbon Black" w/ black/black interior.

Got in and the AC didn't work for the first few miles... rep told me that was a "feature" but I wasn't too sure!

Observations:
1) gobs of low-mid torque
2) cushy - not quite cadillac like but mercedes-like, compared to my 1990 535im.
3) gobs of low-mid torque
4) rev limiter came up faster than it seemed it would.

It didn't feel as much like a racecar as I hoped. Very refined. Not raw or harsh at all, which I was kind of hoping it would be. I was expecting wheels breaking loose, feeling the road, roaring engine... but it was silky-smooth power. Got an open rt-turn with an arrow so I came in hot, down shifted to second, little heel-toe to match revs then powered out of the corner. DSC was on so the rears didn't break loose, but it wasn't nearly as exciting as I hoped.

It was deceptively fast though since it was so smooth. Bounced off the rev limiter in second while going up the on-ramp (really didn't mean to - uttered a sheepish "oops" to the sales rep!). Up ahead a hitchhiker looked like she was going to wander into traffic so I jammed on the brakes, and it stopped like I expected it to - right quick! I was really just trying not to kill the hitchhiker but I wondered for a second if the rep thought I was going to pick her up.

Didn't have the heart-thumping top end I was hoping for... but man, just tap the pedal at 1500 RPM and it lurches forward. The reason I accidentally hit the rev limiter was that I was expecting it to go scary fast at the top end and I'd let up out of fear, but it was just smooth, constant power and I didn't see the limiter coming. Power seemed very V8-ish in that manner, lots down low but didn't grow at the top like a straight engine can...

I wonder how different they are with a little suspension and engine tuning, say software, headers, maybe a Dinan intake system...

Just thought I'd share!

- Robin

bahnstormer
09-16-2005, 12:44 PM
yah the m5 is meant for triple digit speeds...4000lbs its never gonna be a race car

Martin in Bellevue
09-16-2005, 01:27 PM
I've driven several e39 m5's. This town is choked with 'em. The cts-V comparison has kept me from pulling any trigger. The cts-V doesn't have the looks of the m5. The m5 doesn't seem to have the edge & torque of that caddy.
Honestly, stories of m5 maintenance have kept me away from purchase. Vanos & maf replacements seem to be routinely expensive. Any upgrade for the m5 costs huge money & the clutches don't seem to deal with the torque.
I prolly won't make a move until the 6 cylinder diesels arrive to the US market. More specifically, I'd like to drive a 330d with that twin turbo and a 6 speed manual gearbox. I am not interested in the newish 5.

mikemaster
09-16-2005, 02:49 PM
The e39 is very large cushy compared to the e34, night and day. That and the fact that the 3 series keeps getting larger, I wonder how many of us will migrate over to the 3 series in the future. My wife hates driving the e39 to work because it's a "boat."

Jose
09-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Then you will defenitely love the 535 diesel engine with 275 bhp and 750NM of torque at 2500 rpm. In tests the 535 d was able to keep up with the V10 M5 up to 100 mph. Seriously quick for a diesel.

Robin-535im
09-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Martin - how fast is the supercharged M3? I mean, really, between us guys, is it scary-fast-wet-your-pants fast or just moderately quicker than stock?

Martin in Bellevue
09-16-2005, 06:29 PM
I'd have to guess that it is almost as fast as someone's 3.7l e34.

Martin - how fast is the supercharged M3? I mean, really, between us guys, is it scary-fast-wet-your-pants fast or just moderately quicker than stock?

Gayle
09-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Robin

Thanks for the description. Feels like I was there.

Jeff N.
09-17-2005, 07:50 AM
..uuuuuhhhhh...

No.

I'd have to guess that it is almost as fast as someone's 3.7l e34.

granit_silber
09-17-2005, 07:57 AM
The e39 is very large cushy compared to the e34, night and day. That and the fact that the 3 series keeps getting larger, I wonder how many of us will migrate over to the 3 series in the future. My wife hates driving the e39 to work because it's a "boat."

I don't know about moving on later. I was looking at some pics of newer models engine bays and noticed something. the engines keep getting pushed father back in the bay. On the new 3 2 of the six cylinders are underneath the windscreen, same thing with the e46 318d. That doesn't bode too well for DIY'ers. I can't imagine trying to change the spark plugs on those things!

robin,

thanks for the write-up! If nothing else the e39 m5 sounds friggin awesome!

-ashley

Robin-535im
09-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Compare E39 and E34 in the ETK...

You look at an E34 and there are a modicum of parts, all easy to get your head around. Then open up the E39 and you think, "Holy Cow - look at all those stinkin' parts!!"

Plus the fact that you can pretty much buy any single part for the E34 for under $500... and the fact that our 15 year old E34's have the same if not more safety features than the average, new, econo-car... no need to upgrade any time soon!