PDA

View Full Version : Leak in Trans Oil Cooler

saj3n
09-16-2005, 09:11 AM
So, I have noticed that I am leaking transmission fluid near my radiator. This problem was actually pointed out a while back, prior to the Engine problems my car suffered. Since the intial notice of the leak, transmission seems to shift a tad bit harder than before. Could this be due to low trans fluid? Can adding the proper fluid solve this problem? (I have yet to check the fluid levels lately).

Kalevera
09-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Hey Sajen -- I was wrong about the 530 having a heat exchanger, it's a radiator, mounted at the front -- so it could very well be leaking. I guess the 4.0s are the only ones with the heat exchanger.

Sorry for any uh...confusion...

best, whit

saj3n
09-16-2005, 10:24 AM
No problem. I just home that there is no transmission damage because of the leakage.

shragon
09-16-2005, 10:26 AM
i just got mine replaced on my 525i. leak in the oil cooler also made my fluid low. also got a tranny flush, so i should be good to go now.

saj3n
09-16-2005, 10:29 AM
So I shouldn't expect any tranny problems because of the flush? I was following a thread on here earlier regarding a tranny flush that ended up in a dead tranny.

uscharalph
09-16-2005, 02:50 PM
So I shouldn't expect any tranny problems because of the flush? I was following a thread on here earlier regarding a tranny flush that ended up in a dead tranny.
Has your ATF been regularlly changed or is it the original fluid like mine?

shragon
09-16-2005, 03:14 PM
depends. if you've never flushed your fluid because you went by the lifetime fluid bs for i believe the v8 e34's, then, yea, you might be in trouble.

for my car, '95 525i, the maintenance manual that came with the car calls for a tranny fluid flush at every inspection II, and that's what i've been following.

Kalevera
09-16-2005, 03:47 PM
I'd check the fluid level first and then assess it ;)

best, whit

liquidtiger720
11-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Rob. Do you happen to know what brand your ATC was?

Or...does anybody know what brand I should use...or stay away from.

Autohauz has "ACM" brand....I'm going to shop around locally this time too. I just found a bud who has an account with ssf. :) I didnt realize ssf was that big of a distributor. I got thier "ssf at the track" calender, hehehe.

Also...does anybody have any other recommendations as to what to change while I am in there?

I will be doing the ATC myself, along with a radiator flush and new hoses. After the new ATC...I guess I should go and flush the tranny.

liquidtiger720
11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
bump