PDA

View Full Version : Swapping the tranny soon. What else?

Bimminator
09-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Well I am swapping my tranny finally. Mine is slipping in reverse fulltime now and a couple of times a week it will stay in second or third and not shift beyond. I am getting the "new" old tranny from Bruno, Figure it will be a lot cheaper just to swap at this point given all the other work I need to do as well. What I would like some advice on is, what else should I consider doing at this point since the tranny is going to be off, the exhaust will be off, and the gas tank will be off(getting repaired). I plan on getting my indy to look for exhaust leaks, because it has been sounding kind of loud lately, Fuel filter is new so that is alright. Also that post on the tranny dying after a fluid change was kind of scary, what do I need to know about a strait swap, are their any special considerations I (my Indy) should take? I'm not sure if Bruno is draining the fluid out of the salvaged tranny or if I'm getting it with the fluid it contains(never thought to ask) Are there any issues to be aware of in terms of adding fluid or topping it back up? I just thought that since my car is going to be sitting on a hoist for three days what else should be looked at or considered. Thanks for the help.

Shawn.

Kalevera
09-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Shawn. The rear main seal is readily accessible; any competent shop should assess it with the trans out and give you an opinion.

By the way, I just picked up another 4hp-22eh from a '90 735iL, so if your trans falls through, I've got one down here in cleveland/ohio, ready to go...

best, whit

Bimminator
09-15-2005, 08:12 PM
Shawn. The rear main seal is readily accessible; any competent shop should assess it with the trans out and give you an opinion.

By the way, I just picked up another 4hp-22eh from a '90 735iL, so if your trans falls through, I've got one down here in cleveland/ohio, ready to go...

best, whit
Gerat advice because wouldn't you know it I think my rear main seal does leak a bit. Not so much since I switched to 10W 40 Dino. My rear main seal is the reason I have been afraid to run with you cool kids and burn Mobil 1. How much labour is involved in replacind the seal, how should I resonably expect to taked on to my bill? Thanks for the offer on the tranny I 'll keep it in mind.

Thanks Whit.

632 Regal
09-15-2005, 09:46 PM
some transmissions are amazingly clean inside, either from prior care or just a freak incident. I dont know if mine was ever replaced but the fluid was prestine, if your picking the trans up it will probably have a significant amount of fluid in it already. My recommendation is ti just add the proper fluid until it is full after the swap.

Kalevera
09-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Jeff makes a good point. As long as the torque converter is fully seated (put a piece of wood over it and bolt it in place) and the trans cooler lines are capped, fluid shouldn't seep. We had a 4hp24 sit on a bench for a weekend a while back -- came in monday morning and it looked like the valez spill. Cap and/or tilt the bellhousing up in the air slightly to prevent this from happening.

If the TQ falls off, it's a huge mess.

edit: oh yeah, and I don't know what a rear main seal job should cost. Winfred or Bill will have a better idea. The parts (don't forget, it'll need an oil change at the same time) shouldn't be much and labor should be relatively little with the trans out anyway.

best, whit

Bimminator
09-16-2005, 07:02 AM
Jeff makes a good point. As long as the torque converter is fully seated (put a piece of wood over it and bolt it in place) and the trans cooler lines are capped, fluid shouldn't seep. We had a 4hp24 sit on a bench for a weekend a while back -- came in monday morning and it looked like the valez spill. Cap and/or tilt the bellhousing up in the air slightly to prevent this from happening.

If the TQ falls off, it's a huge mess.

edit: oh yeah, and I don't know what a rear main seal job should cost. Winfred or Bill will have a better idea. The parts (don't forget, it'll need an oil change at the same time) shouldn't be much and labor should be relatively little with the trans out anyway.

best, whit
Thanks guys,

Glad to hear the swap should be simple proceedure, I'll call Bruno for details of how he is preparing the tranny for me.

winfred
09-16-2005, 07:26 AM
the rear main is about 10 minutes extra work with the tranny out, you may want to do the center bearing on the driveshaft while it's handy, about 20 minutes extra work

Gerat advice because wouldn't you know it I think my rear main seal does leak a bit. Not so much since I switched to 10W 40 Dino. My rear main seal is the reason I have been afraid to run with you cool kids and burn Mobil 1. How much labour is involved in replacind the seal, how should I resonably expect to taked on to my bill? Thanks for the offer on the tranny I 'll keep it in mind.

Thanks Whit.