PDA

View Full Version : Please HELP ME !!!

wagdibmw
09-15-2005, 02:07 AM
hi guys, i just bought an E34 M5 3.8L , and i need to know were are the VIN numbers printed on this car, i found only the one which is printed under the front windscreen. but i heard that this kind of cars must have the VIN nimbers printed in different areas , but i could't find them.
Can any body help me please !!!!!!!!

Gayle
09-15-2005, 02:16 AM
According to the Bentley manual, one location is in the rear of the engine compartment, below the passenger side wiper arm.

You sound desparate. What is the deal? I don't get why you would be concerned about other locations. Are you thinking the # are not going to be the same? Does it not match the regisration or something?

shogun
09-15-2005, 02:45 AM
Dpends on your country. Here in Japan we also only have it under the windscreen, same in European countries like Germany.
On the ECU there is usually handwritten the VIN also, but you would have to remove it to see it.
Then - depending on the year - you can also see it on the check control in the dash by a certain procedure.
And remove the rear seat (passenger side in LHD), under the seat in a corner there is a folded paper with the complete VIN number, when the car was produced, which production week/year, which assembling line, which optional extras were included etc etc.

Bill R.
09-15-2005, 06:13 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/vin%20location.jpg
hi guys, i just bought an E34 M5 3.8L , and i need to know were are the VIN numbers printed on this car, i found only the one which is printed under the front windscreen. but i heard that this kind of cars must have the VIN nimbers printed in different areas , but i could't find them.

Gayle
09-15-2005, 06:35 AM
Bill

Your information rocks as always. I sort of picture you living surrounded by stacks and stacks of manuals and information with just a little maze to walk through your automotive library. And information is nothing if you can't find it. You deserve the title of Filing Stud.

I guess that mental image predates computer hard drives, but the putting-your-hands-on-the-information issue doesn't change.

Qsilver7
09-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Bill

Your information rocks as always. I sort of picture you living surrounded by stacks and stacks of manuals and information with just a little maze to walk through your automotive library. And information is nothing if you can't find it. You deserve the title of Filing Stud.

I guess that mental image predates computer hard drives, but the putting-your-hands-on-the-information issue doesn't change.
hmmm, Bill R...the STUD! Sounds like you need to change your handle, Bill! (LOL)

Bill R.
09-15-2005, 09:04 AM
I do have a lot of the old paper manuals but thats for the 50's60's and 70's stuff, most of the newer stuff has been placed here like in this pic...http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/Files%20for%20stuff.jpg

Bill

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
09-15-2005, 09:15 AM

My MY'91 (11/90 production) M5 has the VIN in the following places that I've found so far:

Top of dash
Stamped on cowl at the base of the windscreen
On the driver's door jamb label
On a printed and bar coded label on the ECU
On a label on the driver's side of the transmission bell housing

I don't have any of the "vehicle anti-theft labels" on the front fender tops, doors, trunk lid or rear fenders that I had on my MY'90 535. I always wondered why, but perhaps it is to do with the ~150 M5s imported into Canada from '91 to '93.

uscharalph
09-15-2005, 09:19 AM
I do have a lot of the old paper manuals but thats for the 50's60's and 70's stuff, most of the newer stuff has been placed here like in this pic...http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/Files%20for%20stuff.jpg
Two great posts in one thread Bill.

wagdibmw
09-15-2005, 10:58 AM
thats it, you got my point, coz i think this car is stolen or somthing like that.

when i signed the papers of it i heard the dealer talking to it,s EX owner and i did't like what they were saying about the car Reg. and the Vin Number ,
they made me thinking abit, but i realy like that car , i wanted to buy it at all cost,

thanks for you help

wagdibmw
09-15-2005, 11:01 AM
coz i think this car is stolen or somthing like that.

when i signed the papers of it i heard the dealer talking to it,s EX owner and i did't like what they were saying about the car Reg. and the Vin Number ,
they made me thinking abit, but i realy like that car , i wanted to buy it at all cost,

thanks for you help

uscharalph
09-15-2005, 11:19 AM
coz i think this car is stolen or somthing like that.

thanks for you help
If you don't mind, when'd you buy it and how much. What kind of DMV paperwork do you have?

pyro
09-15-2005, 04:52 PM
The vin is also on a sticker thats on the cylender head my m30 had it on there.

Jr ///M5
09-15-2005, 05:12 PM
If you're in the states, there weren't any 3.8 liter production models shipped here, so what you are looking at is a "Gray Market" car that has been federalized. There will only be one VIN location on such a car, and that is the one the Feds place on the dash at the lower driver side windshield.

You need to make sure the federalization process was done correctly and the car will be able to be licensed to be used in the USA...

Jr

Gayle
09-15-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey Bill, you aren't insulted are you?