PDA

View Full Version : M50 boogie-woogie

Interceptor
09-15-2005, 12:26 AM
Recently, I started getting the shakes, a few minutes after a cold start. I've seen other M50 owners with the same problem - what could be the culprit?

8 POTS
09-15-2005, 02:12 AM
Not expert but my 540 does the same for first few secconds after cold start, think might be combination of moisture on ignition system (ht leads etc) as well as minor timing problem (due to clearances not spot on because of age, exhaust not standard? etc.) This combined with old engine mountings causes shakes, cause everytime motor misses beat motor shakes.

That is where i think my V8's shake problem, comes from when cold, don't know.

But goes away after 30 sec?

smcgowan
09-15-2005, 05:20 AM
My does it from time to time. It's just the Lifters needing to be filled with oil. I ask my Mech and that what he stated.

Interceptor
09-15-2005, 06:00 AM
Not expert but my 540 does the same for first few secconds after cold start, think might be combination of moisture on ignition system (ht leads etc) as well as minor timing problem (due to clearances not spot on because of age, exhaust not standard? etc.) This combined with old engine mountings causes shakes, cause everytime motor misses beat motor shakes.

That is where i think my V8's shake problem, comes from when cold, don't know.

But goes away after 30 sec?
Yes, it goes away after a couple of secs.

Interceptor
09-15-2005, 06:01 AM
My does it from time to time. It's just the Lifters needing to be filled with oil. I ask my Mech and that what he stated.
I doubt the lifers can make your car shake like crazy :) If you're talking about the rattle on startup, that's the lifters.

smcgowan
09-15-2005, 06:48 AM
It does shake, and it's not the valve noise. Almost like it's running on 5 cylinders. It goes away in about 45 seconds or less. I guessing when the lifters get enough pressure to open the valves fully. Also the smell on gas in the air when this happens. It happens to me about once a month.

Interceptor
09-15-2005, 01:05 PM
It does shake, and it's not the valve noise. Almost like it's running on 5 cylinders. It goes away in about 45 seconds or less. I guessing when the lifters get enough pressure to open the valves fully. Also the smell on gas in the air when this happens. It happens to me about once a month.I'm running Mobil1 0W-40 and I don't have any problems with valve rattle at all, only a first few seconds after a cold start, but the shakes start a minute or two after that.

Jay 535i
09-15-2005, 01:17 PM
It does shake, and it's not the valve noise. Almost like it's running on 5 cylinders. It goes away in about 45 seconds or less. I guessing when the lifters get enough pressure to open the valves fully. Also the smell on gas in the air when this happens. It happens to me about once a month.

That sounds like something else, like maybe you're not getting a spark on one of your cylinders at start-up.

Interceptor
09-15-2005, 01:21 PM
That sounds like something else, like maybe you're not getting a spark on one of your cylinders at start-up.Hm... Coil packs? Coil pack leads?

8 POTS
09-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Hm... Coil packs? Coil pack leads?

I agree, not a physical/mechenical problem like lifters etc. its something to do with ignition, the coil leads supply power to spark plugs and if they old they go dead when moist/cold thus not giving spark to certain cylinder and thus motor loses beat, and shakes.