PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding rear differential

albundy
02-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Have anyone tried rebuilding their rear differential? I have replaced mine with one from the scrap yard and now less than 8 months the differential gear is beginning to fail (whining noise at about 50 mph).

Is it a difficult job>?

Thanks

Scott H
03-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Of all the things on the car, this is the one thing I would move to last palce on the DIY list. Shimming the gears in a differential is something that only experience or superior knowledge can get you through. Do it wrong and you decrease the life of the gears dramatically.

632 Regal
03-01-2004, 08:15 PM
I woudnt be afraid to tackle it.

Anton CH.
03-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Are you sure its your differential? Lift the rear end and rotate the tires, see if it catches or makes some sound. It could be the center bearing on the driveshaft.

My mechanic tried rebuilding mine. It worked as only the bearing on the input shaft had to be replaced. He said it took him a lot of time to correctly shim it (make a mark, put it together, take it out and see if it needs to be shimmed-this process goes over and over). If you need to replace the output bearings, then he said it needs to be sent in to a special place that has the tool to shim it (can't be done by hand or very hard).

albundy
03-01-2004, 09:13 PM
I wish it wasnt the differential. Jacked up the car at friend's workshop and the whining noise is definitely from the differential. Sounds like its from the input shaft bearing (the one where the long shaft is connected to the differential). The noise only comes at about 50mph (about 80km/hr) and its bloody annoying :(

I had replaced it with a used unit about 6-8 months ago and a new diff is out of the question, so I guess the next best thing is rebuilding it. Anyway if all goes wrong, I do have another diff to use (a 3.64).

Thanks dude