PDA

View Full Version : 27,000 mile '92 535 on the 'bay

Kalevera
09-14-2005, 10:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IMMACULATE-SOUTHERN-BMW-535-535I-SUPER-LOW-MILES_W0QQitemZ4575683078QQcategoryZ6008QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Could be a hacked odo, but who knows. I wonder what it'll go for...any guesses?! :)

'nuff said.

best, whit

Alexlind123
09-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Looks to be in good shape from the pictures (although the interior shots are worthless). But why the heck is it in manual mode.

uscharalph
09-14-2005, 10:44 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IMMACULATE-SOUTHERN-BMW-535-535I-SUPER-LOW-MILES_W0QQitemZ4575683078QQcategoryZ6008QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Could be a hacked odo, but who knows. I wonder what it'll go for...any guesses?! :)

'nuff said.

best, whit
Man that car looks pretty damn clean!

smcgowan
09-15-2005, 05:25 AM
Clean but is it not idling a bit high?

SRR2
09-15-2005, 05:51 AM
The condition of the car looks consistent with the mileage. It has the famous Windshield Wiper Arm Hood Notch too, and does that wood trim over the glove box look right? Someone's going to pay a bunch for it, I bet -- more than any insurance company would say it's worth, but probably a lot less than what a comparable two or three year old car would be worth.

Gayle
09-15-2005, 06:07 AM
'nuff said.
best, whit

Whit how do people hack odometers? I thought the computer chip kept the memory. And wouldn't a car fax give that away if it had happened?

Jason
09-15-2005, 06:49 AM
"auto fraud" in the country. There was a story a while back about some guy who bought an E30 M3 and the car was something like two stolens ones put together (and pretty shoddily at that)

Bellicose Right Winger
09-15-2005, 07:22 AM
Chaulk one up for Whit's RSN........."Rat Smelling Nose".

CARFAX found no inconsistent odometer readings in the mileage history of this 1992 BMW 535I AUTOMATIC (WBAHD2310NBF74469).

Date: Mileage:
04/24/1997 49,933
08/23/1998 60,940
12/01/1999 69,437
12/28/2000 79,212

'nuff said.

best, whit

DanH
09-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Only reason to keep the user IDs of the bidders private...is so no one can warn them they are getting screwed.

They only need to check the feedback to see how honest the seller is...there probably is over 127k miles on it.

CARFAX found no inconsistent odometer readings in the mileage history of this 1992 BMW 535I AUTOMATIC (WBAHD2310NBF74469).

04/24/1997 49,933
08/23/1998 60,940
12/01/1999 69,437
12/28/2000 79,212

SharkmanBMW
09-15-2005, 07:48 AM

04/24/1997 49,933
08/23/1998 60,940
12/01/1999 69,437
12/28/2000 79,212

so it was at 79212 in 2000..... he must have been driving in reverse ever since!!
Why would someone pull a scam like that when a carfax would bust them so easily?!?!?!

olsan100
09-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Idiocy.

DanH
09-15-2005, 08:03 AM
There are enough fools who would rather pay a few grand over value on a car instead of paying the $20 for the carfax.

so it was at 79212 in 2000..... he must have been driving in reverse ever since!!
Why would someone pull a scam like that when a carfax would bust them so easily?!?!?!

JD525IA
09-15-2005, 08:23 AM
...he has a score of 67 with 85% approval. Read some of the negatives. Those people hate him. He must be one sly scammer or scumball.

How can you go from 70k miles to 27k? Sneaky MF!!!

ChefJRD
09-15-2005, 08:42 AM
My Dad always told me to look at the floormats for wear on a used car. As usual with advice from my Dad, I didn't pay attention, but if it only as 27k miles, why does he have replacement floormats in there already??

JAlfredPrufrock
09-15-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm surprised Carfax actually came through this time.

olsan100
09-15-2005, 08:52 AM
I sent the dude an email and asked him about the mileage since carfax said something different. Surprisingly, I haven't heard back.

Dave M
09-15-2005, 11:05 AM
I know nothing of Carfax being in Canada, but, what would happen if you sent the same e-mail to e-bay? Is Cafax considered 'rigorous' enough to be of use in such cases?

Seems a waste that we know its a scam, but potential buyers can't.

DAve M

shragon
09-15-2005, 11:10 AM
what an ass. somebody just steal the car from him.

uscharalph
09-15-2005, 11:17 AM
I sent the dude an email and asked him about the mileage since carfax said something different. Surprisingly, I haven't heard back.
I was going to email the potential buyers, but the buyer ids are private.

SRR2
09-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Send the information to the FBI office closest to his location. They'd probably love to bust a mileage scammer.

DanDombrowski
09-15-2005, 12:27 PM
I can't get to ebay at work (blocked). Is there an actual picture of the ODO reading 27k, or could it be a misprint in the listing?

uscharalph
09-15-2005, 12:35 PM
I can't get to ebay at work (blocked). Is there an actual picture of the ODO reading 27k, or could it be a misprint in the listing?
There's an actual picture of the digital odometer.

Lennyz525i
09-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Let's notify ebay! Or are ther not going to give a crap?

SharkmanBMW
09-15-2005, 01:21 PM
I have a better idea... why don't we just create accounts we don't care about, then bid on his auction and not pay him!
He deserves that does he not?
But I would also love to see what ebay has to say (probably nothing)
YET - Paypal will probably freeze his account while they investigate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO KNOWS!
is it a federal offence or a state offence... to play with mileage?

DanDombrowski
09-15-2005, 01:28 PM
I like that idea. Then file bad feedback that says you found that the mileage was messed with. See if he ever sells another car on that account again.

Where in Florida is it? I'm in florida.......

olsan100
09-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Still no response to my email I sent him about the mileage. Shocking! I know.

SharkmanBMW
09-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Still no response to my email I sent him about the mileage. Shocking! I know.

bid on it, THEN send an email as though you just discovered the problem.... then advise ebay, he would likely get nailed...
I am chatting with an ebay rep now...

SharkmanBMW
09-15-2005, 02:01 PM
I chatted with their online rep... here is the conversation (typical ebay gab)

Your chat session started.

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: hello,

Elizabeth P.: Hello and welcome to eBay Motors Live Chat, where we have sold over one million vehicles, one every minute. My name is Elizabeth. How may I help you today?

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: there is a misleading lie in the advertising for this car.

Elizabeth P.: May you verify your username, please?

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: It says super low miles, 26851 miles, but CARFAX clearly has the records of this car having 70000 miles.

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: the seller has a bad rep and is obviously cheating

Elizabeth P.: May you verify your username, please?

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: there is no way to warn bidders as it is private

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: I am unregistered, how is that relevant?

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: the seller has a history of not selling after auction ends if the $$ is not to his liking, this is obviously an extention of his criminal behaviour.

Elizabeth P.: You would not be able to bid or buy unless you are registered. To register on eBay, click on the light blue 'Register Now' button on the eBay home page. And is this regarding that very nice looking BMW?

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: did you read what i wrote?

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: the seller is blatantly lying in his ad, I have proof, what are you going to do?

Elizabeth P.: Yes, I did and I am asking to make sure we are looking at the same listing. So, again, is this regarding the BMW?

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: yes it is, the one that has super low miles, BUT like I said, CARFAX clearly has it at 5 mileage checkpoints all over the listed mileage!!!

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: blatant cheating and manipulation of the odometer, illegal

Elizabeth P.: What I suggest is that you report this seller and the listing to the Safe Harbor Department, where they handle all "bad items" and "bad people". You would reach them by clicking on the "contact us" link found on the left side of the help page. Please allow them from twenty four to forty eight hours to respond. I suggest that you do not take any further action regarding this until you have heard back from them. They would be the correct department to report this to. Also, I would like to note that I am reporting this listing as well.

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: the listing may be finished before anything is done... another great ebay experience for some poor sucker!

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: on 12/28/2000 carfax has the mileage at 79,212.

sharkmanbmw@sympatico.ca: please email me a copy of this conversation, thanks for your time

callen
09-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Glad you called...you may potentially save some poor fool like one of us thinking they were getting their dream car.......

you were a little tough on the poor phone person...she was trying to help..they must have lots of red tape and stuff I'm sure.

myles
09-15-2005, 03:04 PM
The fuel pressure regulator vacuum line is disconnected too...

Alexlind123
09-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Its also has a tiptronic transmission...yea rite. And its in manual mode for some unknown reason.

JAlfredPrufrock
09-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Sharkman, no offence, but that is not the way to have an intelligent conversation.

DanDombrowski
09-15-2005, 03:57 PM
might explain the high idle......

Mabye he disconnected it to get the high idle because it would stall otherwise?...

Lennyz525i
09-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Gets better!
I mailed him pretending to be all amazed at the low mileage so I asked the seller if he knew the car's history. Here's the response:

"IT WAS A ONE OWNER NEW CAR TRADE"

Wow this guy is bad.

Lennyz525i
09-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Gets better!
I mailed him pretending to be all amazed at the low mileage so I asked the seller if he knew the car's history. Here's the response:

"IT WAS A ONE OWNER NEW CAR TRADE"

Wow this guy is bad.

Actually it could be, come to think of it. Just very unlikely...

Mitch90535im
09-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Ebay chat with car expert -

cs: The seller states this care has 27,000 miles, but carfax says the car's odometer was 79,000 in 2000 (5 years ago).
Your chat session has started..
Dave K.: Hello. Welcome to eBay Live Chat. I apologize for the wait. Thank you for your question. I'd like to help you out with this.
Dave K.: Please wait a moment while I review your concern.>
Dave K.: Just to confirm this is the: 1992 BMW : 5-Series
cs: yes
Dave K.: Thanks, Is your current Chat Name -- also your eBay User ID?
cs: yes
Dave K.: It is always good to check on vehicles before bidding, Have you contacted the seller to ask about the discrepancy?
cs: I haven't, but a buddy has, with no reply from the seller.
cs: Just thought you guys might be pro-active.
Dave K.: Also, it is important to get an inspection on a vehicle as well, If you do not have confidence in the Seller, this may not be the vehicle to be bidding on. Your information will be looked at and in addition, we have an email help page where you can report something like this. Any documentation is also important for any investigation that may take place. Your help in reporting this matter is greatly appreciated
cs: thanks.
cs: Thanks Dave, later...
Dave K.: Thank you for using eBay Motors Live Chat. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Kalevera
09-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Guys, scammers on the 'bay are a part of life.

Gayle, any competent shop can program a coding plug. The dealership has to be able to do it to replace dash modules and such (EDIT: not actually the case -- the dealer sends away for a coding plug with the correct mileage from BMW, most <lazy> dealers just replace the plug and the odo starts from 0 again...they're REQUIRED to make note of this, I think around the manuf plate/B pillar, by law). Coding plugs, in particular, are known to blow when the battery isn't disconnected before pulling the dash module. Throw ethics to the curb and you'll discover that the E34 was one of the easiest cars to odo hack. Still is.

Ebay scams and shadiness. I was conned into one last weekend and have debated reporting it over the past few days. I probably won't because this guy has my driver's license number, etc.

I won this item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4572574319&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

If you go into MTZ2005's feedback, you'll note positives from "LMDAUTO" and "MATTHEWSAUTOS". Note the timing sequence in how all of those feedbacks were left: same time, minus a few minutes, same date, across all three "transactions". All three accounts correspond to the same person; I didn't realize this until I went to pick up the car, at none other than a used car hole bannered, "LMD AUTO", the retail arm of the wholesaler known by the two former IDs.

This seller has the perfect shill bidding scheme going on, and its visible in some of the auctions listed (even ending in the next few days/recently ended stuff) on the MATTHEWSAUTOS account: he bids up the item or gets into a bidding war with a legitimate user. Then, when the other user doesn't outbid him, he retracts his last bid. To make it all the more better, the MTZ2005 auction that I won was a private listing, meaning that he could perform this chicanery without anyone (but, potentially, ebay) knowing about it.

Shady as sin. I'm glad I didn't end up buying the thing. The wholesaler called me up a day later and asked me to pay his ebay fees. I said, "what about the gas money that I spent to get there and be disappointed by the inaccuracy of the description, not to mention my time and that of my family members?"

best, whit

DanDombrowski
09-15-2005, 04:21 PM
I think I might have figured out whats going on here.....

First of all, the HE might actually be a SHE. I was looking at some of his past auctions and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7708024610&category=63889

Now, what do you notice about all of the cars in all of his old auctions, besides the fact that they don't actually sell if the price doesn't get high enough?

They all have a new paint job. Every last one (except the van). I'll bet this guy buys wrecked or damaged cars, repaints em, and sells them claiming extremely good care was taken of them. The engine on the 535 looks clean because he cleaned it, and obviously sprayed silicone (or tire coating) all over it - look at the residue on the valve cover. On top of that, the radiator is held in with zip ties.

Now as for the mileage....this may be unlikely, but there is always the possibility that the picture of the ODO is of another car. To find another e34 with 27,000 miles might be equally rare, but its a possibility. Another possibility is that since the guy might be in the business of selling painted wrecks, mabye the mileage is accurate, but the VIN is off of another car (so that when you run a carfax on THAT, you don't see that the real car (the one with 26k) was in a flood....and consequently does not have a "clear" title).

Thoughts?

SC David
09-15-2005, 04:23 PM
So many things wrong with this. Look at how oddly the hood and cornerlights and everything else on the front end align in this pic:

http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/eb/26/91_3.JPG

Kalevera
09-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Nope, I'll tell you guys exactly what happened:

The vin matches the color combo and year of the car.

The car somehow ended up at Lauderdale Imports in Ft. Lauderdale with 1 mile on it on 5/8/2001. EDIT: There it received a warrantied expansion tank cap replacement. IF the chip were replaced at the dealer under warranty, it would be listed below

My thinking here is that it was done by a delinquent tech.

Here's the report:

http://www.bimmer.info/~lowell/vhist.jpg

best, whit

632 Regal
09-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Why did I miss this whole thread!

Looks like the bidding is still really low, maybe people are getting the message across that its a scam car, does look nice though.

The cars in hollywood fl if anyones near there.

Gayle
09-15-2005, 08:56 PM
I think I might have figured out whats going on here.....

First of all, the HE might actually be a SHE. I was looking at some of his past auctions and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7708024610&category=63889

Size 10 is drag queen material. I don't know a single woman who wears a size 10.

Kalevera
09-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Oh yeah, and the seats are redyes. I can spot a leatherique job a mile away. There's another telltale sign of it....I'll let you guys notice it for yourselves.

best, whit

DanDombrowski
09-16-2005, 05:37 AM
I googled that service code, found this:

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/e34/messages/archive/msgsy2000w30/36724.html

Looks like you might be right about the radiator cap. But as for the mileage of 1 - I would think that would be more likely the service tech just not recording the mileage, don't you think? I mean, even a new car won't have a mileage of 1, so if a delinquint tech changed out the plug, why would he report it as such? If he reports the mileage at 1, wouldn't that raise some flags at a dealership that he might have to perform some sort of certification? I'm asking, I really don't know. Mabye its common practice if you forget to write down the mileage to just put 1 in.

Also, even if an ODO hack was done in 2001 and reset to 0, that's still only 6750 mile per year - real low. Since the VIN represents the options and color code of the car, mabye you're right that its not a vin from a similar car, but I'll bet that the ODO hack happened more recently than 2001, or more than once.

Do all of the service records of every BMW dealer show up in their network, or is there a chance that some dealers didn't add their records to the database? I would think that if someone bought a $40k car in 92 dollars that they would at least bring it to the dealer once or twice for an oil change or such before switching to indy.

As for the carfax report, if not from the dealership records or DMV registration changes, where do those mileage updates come from?

On the boots - good call Gayle. I don't know anything about women's sizes other than not to purchase clothes without asking, and that a 5 in one store is a 7 in another. I guess if shoe sizes are similar to dress sizes, a 10 must be some big feet. Or mabye its still a 'he' and he's lying about that too, being predisposed to lying in the first place.

Kalevera
09-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Let me append what I said earlier -- the ODO *can't* be adjusted by a dealer, but they can order a coding chip with the correct mileage from Germany.

So, the guy replaced the coding chip. Dealer probably recorded it, but not on that history report.

best, whit

Lennyz525i
09-16-2005, 10:00 AM
I figured he made the interior pics so light so you wouldn't notice the wear on the leather. Here's something that looks odd though:

http://i5.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/eb/f1/c1_3.JPG

The color change on that side piece (whatever the name of it is) where the left front seat belt hangs.

olsan100
09-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Good catch on that seat belt piece.

632 Regal
09-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Okay whats up with this?

1 day 3 hours

The same time left was yesterday at 3ish...magical ebay clock? cars only up to 5800 now.

JD525IA
09-16-2005, 03:28 PM
I like the stark brightness of the leather against the carpet and the mats, as well. I'm getting a chuckle outta all you armchair detectives. Fun, isn't it.

Of course, we could all be wrong.

Kalevera
09-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Lenny, that's normal. Gray headliner goes with the dove gray leather.

Earlier cars have a one piece B pillar trim; later cars have two piece trims, one being the funky plastic (the material that comprises the unitrim on early cars) and the top bit being a mouse fuzz headliner material covered item.

best, whit

Lennyz525i
09-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Lowell, is there something you don't know about the E34?

:D

Kalevera
09-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Lowell, is there something you don't know about the E34?

:D
Too much. As of late, I keep on giving bad information, too....kinda been a problem.

BY the way -- more writeups are coming, including my epic on seats, mirrors, and adjustable steering columns. The damn thing isn't done yet because I'm still trying to hunt down a part. It's coming, though.

best, whit

Lennyz525i
09-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Too much. As of late, I keep on giving bad information, too....kinda been a problem.

BY the way -- more writeups are coming, including my epic on seats, mirrors, and adjustable steering columns. The damn thing isn't done yet because I'm still trying to hunt down a part. It's coming, though.

best, whit

Awesome! I'm going to the caribbean soon for a month or so. When I'm down there I'm gonna learn about some new technologies and give the site a complete structural (and probably some visual) update. You already mentioned a few ideas a while back, I'm gonna look into that.

This thread is getting off topic. I wonder who's gonna get suckered into buying a 130K plus miles 535i for over $6K.

Wouldn't it be funny if the buyer of that 535i actually shows up on this board after a while.

SharkmanBMW
09-16-2005, 04:46 PM
I wonder who's gonna get suckered into buying a 130K plus miles 535i for over $6K.

Wouldn't it be funny if the buyer of that 535i actually shows up on this board after a while.

If the rad really is held in with zip ties, he'll be here sooner than later!!!

632 Regal
09-16-2005, 04:50 PM
21 hours 12 mins
Current bid: US $5,900.00

now let me figure the times I posted this.

Wish I didnt kill all them brain cells last night, its correct.

Okay whats up with this?

1 day 3 hours

The same time left was yesterday at 3ish...magical ebay clock? cars only up to 5800 now.

Mitch90535im
09-17-2005, 06:02 AM
Up to $8,000. Some dumbass is fixin to get burned.

granit_silber
09-17-2005, 07:47 AM

'nuff said.

best, whit

Crap! That's my car! At least body color, interior, and wood.
-ashley

SharkmanBMW
09-17-2005, 01:22 PM
I told a friend about this car... he has a bid in on it, he plans to win and immediately leave neg feedback using an account he no longer uses!

Mitch90535im
09-17-2005, 01:28 PM
I told a friend about this car... he has a bid in on it, he plans to win and immediately leave neg feedback using an account he no longer uses!

Cool, I was hoping someone would do that. I've chatted with ebay twice about the car and they really aren't interested in doing anything about ending the auction or barring the seller. I take it from them that their policy is "buyer beware, and just so we get our fee to hell with everyone else". I can't believe anyone is stupid enough to seriously bid on this car with the seller's feedback.

SharkmanBMW
09-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Cool, I was hoping someone would do that. I've chatted with ebay twice about the car and they really aren't interested in doing anything about ending the auction or barring the seller. I take it from them that their policy is "buyer beware, and just so we get our fee to hell with everyone else". I can't believe anyone is stupid enough to seriously bid on this car with the seller's feedback.

no kidding, who would bid on a old car from a scammer that has bad feedback??? Not too smart! maybe they deserve the problem if they win!

Anyhow, "we" are the high bidder now with a bid of $9999.00
If "we" win, help me come up with some good negative feedback for him..... I will pass it to my friend and he will leave the feedback for this prick!

Kalevera
09-17-2005, 01:45 PM
The guy is probably shill bidding it. At $10k, that's the only explanation.

....Read my post above about shill bidding.....ugh.

best, whit

Mitch90535im
09-17-2005, 01:50 PM
If "we" win, help me come up with some good negative feedback for him..... I will pass it to my friend and he will leave the feedback for this prick!

I would just mention the facts - Carfax showed 79K in 2000, seller lied in response to email questions, our bid saved some dumbass a lot of money, FBI has been notified... (or something like that)

9 minutes to go. I bet this jerk's already counting his profit.

There went the bid retraction (at 7 minutes, like clockwork). It's back at 9,100 now.

9,600 with 2 minutes. You guys still high bidder?

back to 10,099 at 1 1/2 minutes. This is getting good.

$10,099 takes it. Hope that was you guys. Can't wait to see the feedback either way.

The bid retraction definetly looks like shill bidding fraud. The reason listed for retraction was that "seller changed description". The only change to the auction was on 94 when the seller made it private.

I chatted with ebay again. They really just don't give a ****.

Kalevera
09-17-2005, 01:54 PM
...don't forget the part about the dealer replacing the coding chip on 5/8/2001. The history on that: http://www.bimmer.info/~lowell/vhist.jpg.

edit: oh yeah, and be sure to add the auction #; as it is private, anyone reading feedback won't know what it corresponds to without that number.

Lennyz525i
09-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Anyhow, "we" are the high bidder now with a bid of $9999.00

6 mins to go, $9100. Can you back out of this easily even with the proven odometer froud?

SharkmanBMW
09-17-2005, 02:03 PM
so ,
"we" lost in the last minute... oh well!
I feel bad for the sucker who actually won it, hopefully he figures it out before paying!!!

I really wanted to f*&k the guy up with the feedback.
disappointed!

Lennyz525i
09-17-2005, 02:09 PM
****! I really hopes the new owner becomes a board member here. This is wrong.

Reuben Lim
09-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Am not that good when it comes to evaluating cars. That's why I like the board because the level of knowledge and tech-mech adeptness displayed by a lot of the regulars just blows me away, has also saved me a lot of money and grief. I just post when I really need help, or when I feel my experience could be of interest. For guys like me who are not mechanically-technically adept, any sure-fire ways to check if a dressed/gussied-up car with allegedly low mileage is for real? Granted if the mileage is suspiciously low and there are the above-discussed obvious signs we can watch out for and then walk away from, what if the car really looks pristine because the seller was a great cosmetic artist? For that matter, some of these buy-and-sell bunco artists can also do stuff to make a mechanically-infirm car look like a great buy at first glance, even after a test drive and raise-up on the service station lift, that true?

Seriously looking around for a newer or more powerful E34 to replace my 89 525i and must admit I am getting a bit daunted, to the extent that I'm thinking I should just hang onto what I have since I know precisely what I've done on the car, its faults and foibles, and am worried that I may just be taken for a ride if I take the plunge on another one. I mean, am all into the the E34 experience and its beautiful shape/styling, have been happy these past almost-four years despite the expense to keep it as tip-top as my limited skills can make it.

Aside from powerplant differences, there are also differences in trim and options. For instance, saw a 93 525 US version that has a sunroof, leather power seats, wood trim, cruise control, but no obc, just a digital clock, auto with an S/M selector, but an astronomical price. The 94 525i that I saw for the Philippine market has fabric manual seats and sidings, a different auto tranny selector (with an asterisk as one of the choices?) no sunroof, just an analog clock and no cruise control; then there's a 90 euro 535i auto (or as I suspect, for the Jap market), with the asterisk selector option again (what's with the different selector choices?), leather power seats and sidings, no sunroof, but the mechanic tells me the 535i is more difficult/expensive to take care of than the 525 --this true?

My 525i US has the lower-powered M20, automatic without the power-eco switch, but power leather seats and sidings, cruisecontrol, obc, sunroof. No m50, no advanced auto tranny, main factors why am considering an upgrade, aside from its age. Also know that technology doesn't stand still, so I should get the latest-model E34 that I can afford since this would in theory be incorporating more advanced features in terms of powerplant-suspension-electricals, even chassis fabrication, between, say a 93 model and my 1989 one, right?

However, the prices for the latter-model E34s with the options I like are quite close to older-model E39 prices, leading me to think that I should just save up a bit more and then just go to an E39 -- have heard E39 horror stories like prone to overheating, suspension and electrical problems, etc, but it's a newer generation fiver so at least in theory it should be better than the E34, right?

I should stop now, getting a bit dizzy at this point, brain going into overload. Must...press....send....key....and....lie down....cheers!

632 Regal
09-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Ahh well **** happens, could have been worse and have BEEN a member here. Either way one of our cars in "great" condition is around 10k so that car is mint and wont need anything for about 2 years.

(yeah right).

Kalevera
09-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Reuben, you bring up a lot of interesting points. My impression is that you aren't in the states and probably can't take advantage of services like CarFax and the like.

The only way to judge what you're buying is to "read" the car, and even then it can be hard with a bimmer. Unlike your average chevy, these things stay put together for a long time. Fritz and his 228k (acutally probably more than that, I bought the car with a bad speed sensor and it probably has clocked 10 or 15k beyond what I know about) and has zero rattles.

Case in point: yesterday, I did a rear bearing job on a ~ '93 325i; odo listed 13,000 miles. Pulling the car in, the interior seemed to verify that number: E36 interiors die easily and this one was pristine. A telltale sign: the exhaust and rear sway bar get lowered to get clearance on the axles -- some hardware exhibited corrosion and other bits had been replaced. Granted, these parts could have deteriorated while sitting in a parking lot somewhere; probably not to this extent. The other dead giveaway was the nature of the work being performed on the car.

At the end of the day, mileage really only matters to the unibody, and even that is a moot point (recall my bit on no noises at 228k+). BMW generally used quality materials on the E34. Buy one of these cars based on the owner, specifically -- how the car has been maintained. Plastics and wear parts will die with time, regardless of use. With a car that's guaranteed to be at least 10 years old, some such items have been or will need to be replaced. Engine bays and general cosmetics can be maintained as well -- consider whether they've been cared for by the previous owner. Demand and inspect service records...walk if there aren't any. These days, I am always looking at cars. I spend considerable time reading the owner/seller and inspecting the car if it's a plausible purchase.

best, whit

Lane
09-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Well...despite the fact that somebody got ripped off...this has been a VERY entertaining string and I applaud everyone's efforts to screw the scammer over. Well done!

Reuben Lim
09-18-2005, 03:53 AM
You're right, no carfax here am afraid. Thanks for the tips, whit, illuminating as usual. Cheers!

Mitch90535im
09-18-2005, 05:52 AM
As someone else suggested, sooner or later the buyer will end up here and when they do, we can give them the link to this thread to read from top to bottom, sit back and wait for the puking sounds.

Beemr750
09-18-2005, 07:28 AM
What if the seller read everything on this board while the auction went on? He might get lots of tips from here too.

Mitch90535im
09-18-2005, 07:56 AM
What if the seller read everything on this board while the auction went on? He might get lots of tips from here too.

I'd be interested in an example of a tip the seller might have received from this thread?

It's pretty obvious he already understands:

Odometer fraud
Shill Bidding
The advantage of private auctions
The fact that ebay will sit there with their finger up their ass instead of being proactive to protect against obvious fraud
Retracting shill bids in the last few minutes of an auction
How to respond to negative feedback to turn the fault back on the buyer
Altering photos to hide imprefections

What else could he possibly have learned from this thread?

Well, maybe the fact that BMW enthusist don't appreciate obvious rip-offs, or maybe that we aren't heistant to contact the ebay fraud folks and the FBI re. odometer fraud.

SharkmanBMW
09-18-2005, 01:08 PM
How should I proceed?
Should we click the buy it now link and immediately leave the details in his neg feedback? (The ebay account will likely be suspended for non payment eventually, but the account owner does not care.)

Or should we play with him a little?

All input is welcomed!!

edit: there was no personal message from the seller... just the second chance offer that expires tonight at 10:54 pm

Mitch90535im
09-18-2005, 02:00 PM
How should I proceed?
Should we click the buy it now link and immediately leave the details in his neg feedback? (The ebay account will likely be suspended for non payment eventually, but the account owner does not care.)

All input is welcomed!!

edit: there was no personal message from the seller... just the second chance offer that expires tonight at 10:54 pm

If it's an account you really don't care about I'd do "buy it now" then turn around and post the neg. feedback immeditely. Chances are the winning bid from yesterday was fraudlent too. (again, a pretty common scam) I'd save everything and contact ebay. This guy really belongs in jail, or at least off ebay.

On second thought I'd probably have to **** with him, at least a little. Something like a personal message about how you're aaout to piss in your pants or something and are overjoyed to have a 2nd chance. (of course on another browser session, I'd be leaving the neg feedback at the same time)

I can't remember how many characters are allowed in feedback. You want to be sure any future bidders (at least those that are smart enough to read feedback) will know the dangers. I still bet the winning bid/2nd offer is all part of the overall scam. Keep us posted. This is every bit as amusing as those guys that reverse-scam play Nigerian scammers, except better, because it's an E34 and someone in the US.

Kalevera
09-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Chris -- of COURSE you got a second chance offer -- the guy was shill bidding and he hoped that someone would outbid him at the last minute. That or it was a legitimate 0 feedback new user.

Also, ebay requires two unpaid item strikes in a month to suspend the account. An unpaid item strike is usually only mandated after the buyer doesn't respond to the unpaid item dispute queries and the seller files for a final value fee refund.

best, whit

632 Regal
09-18-2005, 03:36 PM
all you have to say is "fraudulant seller, check out bimmer.info" Or post the link to this particelar thread so anyone that looks at his feedback will see that its a legitimate feedback.

How should I proceed?

All input is welcomed!!

SharkmanBMW
09-18-2005, 03:45 PM
have you guys seen the other items he's selling???????????
http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZtaco906QQssPageNameZSTR KQ3aMEDWQ3aMESOI

632 Regal
09-18-2005, 03:59 PM
would be nice to link this thread to his feedback dont you think?

have you guys seen the other items he's selling???????????
http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZtaco906QQssPageNameZSTR KQ3aMEDWQ3aMESOI

SharkmanBMW
09-18-2005, 04:01 PM
but then there is the link to me ****ing his business up the a$$!!!!!

I don't mind busting him for fraud, but I don't want his cousin Vinny coming to my door because he got my plate off cardomain or something crazy like that!

No link to thread, sorry!

SharkmanBMW
09-18-2005, 04:11 PM
http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=taco906

here is his new feedback...
if he responds to try to cover his ass, I will include the auction #, there was no room.

I did a search for contact info... here is thie info, and below you'll see the "Buyer's Name" and contact info!

Contact Information for taco906 :

User ID: taco906
Name: paula rios
Company:
City: hollywood
State: FL
Phone: (954) 394-9295
Registered Since: Monday, Aug 04, 2003 19:47:43 EST

Contact Information for mitsunobo :

Email: sharkmanedw@sympatico.ca
User ID: mitsunobo
Name: **** U SCAMMER
Company:
City: BUSTED
State: YT
Phone: (807) 555-3386
Registered Since: Sunday, Apr 25, 2004

Mitch90535im
09-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Good job we're proud of you.

jhsmd666
09-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Nice job!

632 Regal
09-18-2005, 05:41 PM
I cant believe this!!!

copy/paste her name into zaba...am I hallucinating or does she totally read "SCAM"

copy this: paula rios

click this: http://www.zabasearch.com

Choose "Florida" as state:

paste that name into the window that just opened:

does anyone see anything funny here? I heard of 2 people with the same name but this dont look right to me *AND* born the same date...professional scammer? Rich beyond belief?

Garlic Breath
09-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Unfortunately the negative feedback will get pulled due to false registration info.

smcgowan
09-18-2005, 07:42 PM
DId you also contact EBAY with carfax information to there fsecurity division?

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/index.html

Gayle
09-18-2005, 07:47 PM
click this: http://www.zabasearch.com

A most amazing little tool you have turned us on to there.

632 Regal
09-18-2005, 08:12 PM
LOL, guess where I initially found it?

here

A most amazing little tool you have turned us on to there.

GAM
09-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Maybe this guy isn't really a scammer. It looks like he buys and sells cars. Maybe he just bought it with the listed miles. That's probably what he'll tell ebay if they call him on it. I personally think he's a scammer too. Ebay's customer service sounds just like Comcast's. Most of the time the people who answer the phone just want to go through their proceedures for addressing problems and are unwilling to elevate the problem. I believe part of this is because they get negative scores if they can't solve the problem. It might also be cultural if their call center has been outsourced to an off shore location, i.e., don't rock the boat and give the impression to the US owner that they're solving all of the problems that are called in. Then when contract renewal time comes the contract is renewed.

P.S. I also sent Ebay a message about this probable fraud. I doubt if they'll do anything about it because with auto sales they're probably making a pretty penny. Why kill a cash cow.

SharkmanBMW
09-19-2005, 10:12 AM

his feedback has now been updated... again! .. Please have a look!

uscharalph
09-19-2005, 10:15 AM

LOL! What a mess.

632 Regal
09-19-2005, 10:21 AM
LMAO, bet this slows sales until that account is pulled...at least people can see the item now.

uscharalph
09-19-2005, 10:47 AM

That's wierd. I thought when the buyer was private, that you couldn't see feedback. Obviously I am wrong about that.

DanDombrowski
09-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Ok, totally not fair Sharkman....you KNOW I can't get to ebay at work :) Can anyone post what the feedback page says for me? I'm dying to see what it says.

Props to Sharkman!

Mitch90535im
09-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Ok, totally not fair Sharkman....you KNOW I can't get to ebay at work :) Can anyone post what the feedback page says for me? I'm dying to see what it says.

Props to Sharkman!

FRAUDULANT SELLER: Shill Bidding& Mileage Fraud: Carfax has 79,212 miles in 2000
Buyer mitsunobo ( -1 ) 18-Sep-05 19:17 Private
Reply by taco906: FRAUDULENT EBAY ACCOUNT - THIS FEEDBACK WILL BE REMOVED AS PER E-BAY 19-Sep-05 03:52
Follow-up by mitsunobo: #4576331486, seller stated miles at 27k, carfax shows 79k, Shill Bidding & Fraud 19-Sep-05 13:19

uscharalph
09-19-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure how this is going to look, but should give you an idea:

FRAUDULANT SELLER: Shill Bidding& Mileage Fraud: Carfax has 79,212 miles in 2000
Reply by taco906: FRAUDULENT EBAY ACCOUNT - THIS FEEDBACK WILL BE REMOVED AS PER E-BAY 19-Sep-05 03:52
Follow-up by mitsunobo: #4576331486, seller stated miles at 27k, carfax shows 79k, Shill Bidding & Fraud 19-Sep-05 13:19

uscharalph
09-19-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure how this is going to look, but should give you an idea:

looks like Mitch beat me to it.

GAM
09-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Or should I say non response. Basically it's buyer beware and tough luck to the scamee. It's not Ebay's problem.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to submit this information to eBay.

eBay doesn't actually handle the merchandise that is offered for
auction. Without firsthand knowledge of the item, we are unable to
guarantee the accuracy of the listing information. We encourage members
who are interested in bidding on an item to email the seller for
additional information. Be sure to ask the seller specific questions
regarding age, authenticity and condition of the item before bidding.
In
the unlikely event that the seller doesn't respond, you may want to
reconsider your bidding decision.

Part of this information is contained in our User Agreement, under
article 3. I have included a portion of that Article below for your
review:

"...3.1 Overview. Although we are commonly referred to as an online
auction web site, it is important to realize that we are not a
traditional "auctioneer". Instead, our site acts as a venue to allow
anyone to offer, sell, and buy just about anything, at anytime, from
anywhere, in a variety of formats, including a fixed price format and
an