PDA

View Full Version : M50 sensor terminology clarification

rps1072
09-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Could someone please tell me if any of the following terms are redundant?

Reference Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Pulse Generator

Which one(s) are in my M50 engine?
Which one(s) could be telling the DME to idle improperly?

Thanks.

Kalevera
09-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Both the first and the last are generic terms for many different inputs used throughout the car. A pulse generator can be an ABS coding ring sensor, a diff speed sensor, and any number of other things I can't think of right now off the top of my head. Same applies for "reference sensor".

The M50TU has a number of items that should be checked if idle isn't normal. What, exactly, are the symptoms?

best, whit

winfred
09-14-2005, 08:06 PM
the first thing to look for with idling problems is air leaks, on the m50 motors one of the most common leak points is the two lines comming off the valve cover rot off, the big one goes to the air boot sometimes going through a small tube atached to one of the supports for the manifold before it hooks to the boot, the small ones goes to the fitting that the idle control valve ataches to under the intake about dead center with the nipple facing the front of the car

rps1072
09-15-2005, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the information on idle problems, but I should have qualified my question. I have actually searched through the forum and I did not immediately jump to this as the culprit.

Here is the litany of things I have tried:

New fuel pump and sender
New fuel filter
New fuel pressure regulator
New fuel injectors
New idle control valve
New intake temp sensor (the one in the bottom of the manifold)
New spark plugs and connectors and tested coils
Tried a different air mass meter
New oxygen sensor
Propane test for vacuum leaks
Carbon buildup removal (in the shop)
Truckload of fuel system cleaners
Tested throttle position switch: resistance varies from 0.80 Ohms to 4.75 Ohms without interruption.
New intake manifold gaskets.

Really my question was just about the sensors. I am going to buy a crankshaft position sensor or a camshaft position sensor or both if my engine has both. I just wanted to start with the most likely suspect.

rps1072
09-15-2005, 06:36 AM
It is kind of a growl at idle and hesitates when accelerating to highway speed. Once it is there, it is smooth. It feels like a timing problem.

Bellicose Right Winger
09-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Remove and inspect the intake boot for cracks.

Paul Shovestul