PDA

View Full Version : Power window/sunroof upgrade?

jplacson
02-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Hello everyone! New member here.

I recently purchased a 1989 520i (M20) E34. It's in great shape, everything is pretty much stock except for the 18" replica BMW wheels (style 95) that it came with.

Everything is manual, even the windows and sunroof... I was wondering how difficult it would be to convert my windows (even if it's just the front windows) and sunroof to powered ones. So far, the parts I think I need are:

-power window motors
-power window switches
-electrical harness

Anything else? Is the window guide different for manual and powered windows? What's a power window regulator?

Thanks!

Karl
02-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Window regulator is the mechanism that raises and lowers the window. For power windows it has the electric motor attached, not sure if you could put the electric motor into a manual ragulator, you may have to get the whole thing. But if you do your shopping at wrecking yards, that's what you will get anyway, the whole regulator.

BTW when replacing a regulator, use rubber door stops to hold the glass up while you pull the regulator out and slip in the new one.

jplacson
03-01-2004, 12:06 AM
Ok! Thanks! :)

bimmerd00d
03-01-2004, 01:45 AM
hell, i'd kill for manual windows in my E34, i'm so tired of the electric ones not working right.

epp
03-01-2004, 02:55 AM
Jp,

i would keep the manuals on and never have to worry about the electrics..any relation to luigi lacson?

rgds,
ed
90/535ia

jplacson
03-01-2004, 04:38 AM
I know... they work really well, and don't rattle at all... it's just sometimes, paying toll, or parking is a bit of a hassle. I'm just canvassing for parts, no immediate plans anyway.

That's actually one of the things that got me... the window and sunroof handles were hardly worn, worked smoothly... and seriously looked brand new! (Not an bit of wear on the sunroof handle!)

Re Luigi Lacson, if his family is from Bacolod, Philippines...then most likely we are related. The Lacson family is way too big to really keep track of! :lol:

Unregistered
03-01-2004, 05:53 AM
hey u from the phillppines? let me know tnx.

Ken from Guam

jplacson
03-01-2004, 11:09 AM
HAHAHA! No relation, I get asked that a lot though. His family is from Cavite, ours is from Bacolod City.

Yes, I'm from the Philippines. :)