PDA

View Full Version : Gas gauge

Alexlind123
09-13-2005, 02:52 PM
My tank showed a little over 1/4 tank, so i stopped at a shell station and put $40 v-power in. I start the car and drive away. The gas gauge sitll says its at 1/4 tank. It worked when i got it, is it now stuck? Is it a problem with the gauges or the actual sensor? How can i find out?

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-13-2005, 03:41 PM
If it's @400 miles, then maybe the guage is stuck, since the OBC also reads the sender.

E34 530
09-13-2005, 09:28 PM
My gauge is also a little quirky. Sometimes I will start the car and it will say I have about a half of a tank, and I'm like what??? I just filled it up yesterday. It will then slowly go back to full after about 10 minutes of driving. Sometimes it will display more fuel than what I really have in the tank. It's not that bad, Im pretty sure it's just a sensor, not the actual gauge.

Kalevera
09-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Run the dash module self test procedure (do a search on it for the specifics), that should confirm gauge operation.

The sender has a float in it. The sender can crack, or (in a case I saw yesterday) the float can get stuck -- ie, half way down, such that you think the car has a half tank of gas yet it's completely empty. Rust belt cars can also be susceptible to having the leads corrode (pull the access panel and have a look).

Probably just the sender, though.

best, whit

Alexlind123
09-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Ugh...the obc seems to be getting the same information that the gauge is, how much is a sender?

uscharalph
09-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Ugh...the obc seems to be getting the same information that the gauge is, how much is a sender?
Shogun had a pretty good post on this issue (Or very close) last week. You might want to do a search.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Sometimes the sender float is being interupted by the casing, or the resistor wire are dirty.

I'd take it out and look at it first.

http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/fuel_sender/fuel_sender.html

Check this site out

uscharalph
09-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Sometimes the sender float is being interupted by the casing, or the resistor wire are dirty.

I'd take it out and look at it first.

http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/fuel_sender/fuel_sender.html

Check this site out
That's the link I was talking about!

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-15-2005, 03:48 PM
into your favorites...He got a load of stuff (some in other languages) that's very helpful