PDA

View Full Version : considering a talon TSI purchas. hear me out now!

kyleN20
09-13-2005, 02:37 PM
so, i need to get some better gas mileage, and i was looking for somthing like a e30 318is, but cant find anything of the sort in the area, i searched autotrader, going through all the car brands looking for somthing i may like, and i came acrossed a vintage 1991 talon TSI, now the reasons this car is good, before you yell at me. first it it meets my gas concerns, having only a 2.0 L, but at the same time its a DOHC turbo engine, making 210 hp stock, and is easily modded. also it is AWD, which will come in handy in the winter months of michigan, not to mention all wheel drive is awsome in all weather. let me know what ya think, i feel this could be a good purchas as a second car, that is unless someone on the sight has a cherry e30 318is for like 2 grang, thanks for the input

kyle

Lennyz525i
09-13-2005, 03:09 PM
It sounds fun to drive and economic (actually I'm not too sure about that) as a second car, but if you catch the rice virus??

johnnyturbo2002
09-13-2005, 03:46 PM
you could rally race on the weekends also...tsi s are great on backroad circuits

maximXL
09-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Those are fun cars. On a budget and as a 2nd car for winter it's a decent choice.

Jay 535i
09-13-2005, 04:03 PM
The Talon TSi is a great car, but the Celica All-Trac is a better car, if you can find one. Also AWD and 200bhp, but better built and better sorted. Carlos Sainz thinks so ;)

kyleN20
09-13-2005, 05:01 PM
i loove that your all on my side for once

uberhahn
09-13-2005, 06:41 PM
so, i need to get some better gas mileage, and i was looking for somthing like a e30 318is, but cant find anything of the sort in the area, i searched autotrader, going through all the car brands looking for somthing i may like, and i came acrossed a vintage 1991 talon TSI, now the reasons this car is good, before you yell at me. first it it meets my gas concerns, having only a 2.0 L, but at the same time its a DOHC turbo engine, making 210 hp stock, and is easily modded. also it is AWD, which will come in handy in the winter months of michigan, not to mention all wheel drive is awsome in all weather. let me know what ya think, i feel this could be a good purchas as a second car, that is unless someone on the sight has a cherry e30 318is for like 2 grang, thanks for the input

kyle

I had a '92 TSi. turbo-5speed-awd. Great ride. Don't count on milage to be any better than 24mpg. Plus, with the turbo you will need premium gas (89 octane min). Beware the 2nd gear synchro if it's a 5-speed. Likely be worn. Get some synchroshift to replace the manual trans. fluid.

Let me know if you have specific questions. I had mine as a daily driver until I changed to an SCCA Rally car.

uberhahn

kyleN20
09-13-2005, 07:05 PM
thanks, 24 mpg is better then 15-17

brobins@earthlink.net
09-13-2005, 09:13 PM
My first car was a 1990 TSI AWD (Black/Grey). A great car, fast and flew through the snow. If it's in good condition and clean - go for it.

SharkmanBMW
09-13-2005, 09:20 PM
I don't want to be the only one to mention this, but I have seen a lot of the turbo models puffing out blue smoke... something to watch out for!

kyleN20
09-14-2005, 10:18 AM
werd!

JAlfredPrufrock
09-14-2005, 10:47 AM
If you want reliable/economic, get a Civic.

First generation DSM is a moneypit.

bahnstormer
09-14-2005, 11:25 AM
acura integra, cant go wrong, but no awd and takes $$ to make it fast...

but ya have u looked at older subaru's? the 2.5rs has GREAT awd and should
be economical

Alexlind123
09-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Just dont get into an accident while driving a civic. I was passenger in a talon (non AWD non turbo) that got t-boned by a honda civic hatchback. Imagine a pepsi can being stepped on by a 350lb logger. The Honda Civic was crushed, the entire front end was compressed into less than half of its orginal size and the door sill (the part of the car that is NOT supposed to crumple) was buckled. Needless to say, the driver of the civic suffered internal internal injuries (he was not wearing a seatbelt and somehow was able to retreive his stereo headunit from the car before the paramedics arrived) It blew out the passenger window and cracked the windshield on the talon along with shoving the front axle through the transmission. Structurally the talon came out far ahead, it did its job in protecting the occupants from injury or death. The talons engine lives on in another body.

DaCan23
09-14-2005, 01:02 PM
I use to love driving the early 90's Talons.... a fun little car.... Always wanted one in HS, use to work at the Chrysler dealer my dad was at and would always take em out for a spin. from what I can remember the engines need often maintenances and a lot of them die because when the timing chain/belt on them is done, many cheapo indys screw it up and the engine toasts itself.

granit_silber
09-14-2005, 01:16 PM

kyle
Kyle,
As always, make sure to check it out. Everyone that I know with a second hand 90's Talon TSI has had horrible electrical problems. But if you find a good one, have at it! The only other consideration to look at is...will laying 2K into a new car offset the amount of gas you'll save driving it? When I looked at it, it was cheaper to keep driving my 525 than buying a 2nd car, gassing it up, maintaining it, insuring it etc...
That being said, it is a FUN car and goes like stink in a straight line!
-ashley
-ashley