PDA

View Full Version : 95 540i Poor Accelleration + 1222

blues540
09-13-2005, 12:40 PM
I have been working on my 540i and after fixing my initial problem (I thought) another has cropped up. I had a vacuum leak that produced a pronounced sucking noise and a poor idle and accelleration (stumbling and no power). I checked all of my sensors and then replaced the PCV and gasket, intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets. I replaced the valve covers because of leaking grommets draining oil into the plug area.

Now....she starts up very poorly when cold (choking and nearly stalling) but after 30 seconds or so she runs OK. After warm up when I punch the gas I get a pronounced dead spot and then she powers up. Under a load she just chugs and chokes and has no power. Check Engine comes on and 1222 is present. When I was removing all of the cables and sensors to get the intake off I noticed the cable on my throttle valve was very slack. When I reinstalled it I made sure it was "wrapped" on the cam correctly and it is still very slack. It's number "17" in the drawing:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE63&mospid=47410&btnr=13_0584&hg=13&fg=15

I can't check it when she's running because of lack of space to the left and a rotating fan to the right.....is this causing the problem I am having?

632 Regal
09-13-2005, 12:43 PM
reboot the computer!

blues540
09-13-2005, 12:47 PM
reboot the computer!

I forgot to mention that.....I did 3x already and it came up the same every time. I also did all of the gasket work with the battery out so there would be no chance of crossing cables or poking a screwdriver where it didn't belong. I disconnect for at least an hour to clear it. It is sitting now with the neg cable off the battery to clear it again.

blues540
09-13-2005, 01:29 PM
OK, color me one day older and a little bit smarter......

When I was trying to take up the slack in the cable yesterday it must not have been seated in the mount and the whole deal was spinning. I went down now and held the casing and spun the adjustment screw until she tightened up. It still has that momentary pause on accelleration but there is no hesitation after that. She, once again, is the little rocket that I love ;-) No stumbling, no loss of power and she accellerates smoothly all the way up to faster than I should have been going........

I'll update if need be.