PDA

View Full Version : HR/Koni Minature review

Anton CH.
09-12-2005, 09:09 PM
So this weekend I finally put my springs/shocks in. Well half of them. E34 is a pain in the ass in that department and I ran into some problems so didn't get around to doing the back. But if I could recomend a combo, this would be it. HR seemed to created a perfect drop on the front, haven't bottomed out yet, no problems going over speed bumps or drive ways. At full soft (front) its as soft as stock suspension. Neither can I nor passenger detect any difference. At Full HARD (just the fronts) it's pretty rough. Things taht didn't rattle going to start to rattle. The rebound is just too high for the springs-the car tends to skip over bumps. The best setting for this car is half (90*) from full stiff. The car is firm but you won't feel every bump. It's very smooth. I've driven in other cars (non e34) with HR/bielsteins. And bielstiens are a tad stiffer than Koni on full firm. My only complain is that there is no damper adjuster, it needs to be just a tad stiffer. Overall this makes the e34 very sporty and fun to drive while maintaining that smooth feeling. E34 was never a race car so no point of making one out of it.

I am not going to comment on cornering performance yet since I need to put rear springs in before making a final judgement.

emw525E34
09-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Very nice!.

I am surprised you did the front first. The rears are far far easier!. You ought to spend about 45 mins more to get the rear done. I have little problems with stiffness of the front EiBachProkits but I do have a problem with the rears that I dislike going over bumps. Stock is so much more comfortable. Prokits in rear with Bilstein Sports is a bit too harsh for my liking on the street. Its great for track but only a day a month!.

Let us know how the rear feels like when you got it done. Good Luck.

liquidtiger720
09-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Awsome, I wish I went with h/r koni. The Sachs kit just dosn't sit low enuff for me anymore.

Maximabello
09-19-2005, 12:06 PM
Did you get the rears in? What is your final judgement? 17" wheels?

I think I will be going this route shortly.

Robin-535im
09-19-2005, 01:24 PM
I've got the same setup... fronts medium hard too!

My other 535 has RD springs and Bilsteins w/stock sways, and it's smooth but the springs seem much softer than the H&R's.

I want to stiffen the rears but you have to fully compress the shock (i.e., take it off the car) to change it, so I haven't gotten around to it.

Man I love driving that thing!

Maximabello
09-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Robin-
So no complaints? What would be a good setting for the rears?
TIA

Robin-535im
09-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Robin-
So no complaints? What would be a good setting for the rears?
TIA

Good setting... depends on the driver I suspect! :)

I'd like to try it on a stiffer setting just to see. I tend to like the suspension go-kart like because I think it makes driving more fun. For some it may be too harsh already. Stiffening up the rears is on my list of things to do but not at the top...