PDA

View Full Version : sea foam?

tim
09-12-2005, 06:36 PM
I just discovered this stuff. I am not spamming and am in no way affiliated as you all know.

I have a Yam 250 V6 2 stroke outboard on my boat, and my dock buddy showed me this deal where you fill up the fuel filter with Sea Foam from Napa
(I'm lookin' at him like: "you're going to put what in my motor"?)
; run the starter motor with the emergency lanyard off, so you just flood the pistons; and let it sit.

Five minutes later we fired it up and it smoked like a forest fire for awhile. I swear I saw chunks of carbon coming out the prop exhaust. But then, wow. From 4900 rpm top end to 5400, and just as smooth as '92 when it was new. Really quite amazing.

Is this stuff safe for the 540i if I used it like techron in the last 5 gallons of the tank?

TIA

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-12-2005, 06:50 PM
It really puts out a ton of smoke, but it does clean out the crap in the engine.

Just before an oil change I would put some in the oil, gas and throw some down the intake.

Let it warm up drive gently around fogging the neighborhood.

Change the oil, filters and thats it.

Gayle
09-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Tim,

Somehow you must have missed the great seafoam testimonal season. When I first started reading this board in April, it seemed like everyone was talking seafoam. Here is a representative thread.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11489&page=1&pp=10&highlight=seafoam

People raved about results but oh my god scary experiences getting to the wonderful results. I was too chicken livered to go the seafoam route. Somehow the car not running on all cylinders was just not an experience I wanted.

Also, those flying pieces of carbon didn't sound like a good idea to me. Sounds like shrapnel to me. As spokeperson for the clueless, I don't even understand enough about an engine to know where the flying shrapnel could land, but I figure there can't be very many good places for shrapnel to land in these precision cars.

I am also surprised that the anti-snake oil contingent hasn't jumped on your thread already. I went the slow solvent route instead of the shock solvent and I certainly heard how stupid it was and what a waste of money it was.

All that said, if you go for it, I will be jealous that you did something I don't have the equipment for.

tim
09-12-2005, 08:42 PM
I usually lean toward the anti-snake oil camp myself. As far as the carbon shrapnel: on a v6 two stroke where you are burning your lubricant in the chamber along with the gas, yes; but on the m60, no. My motor is quite clean, being an Alusil replacement at 55k and I would only be hoping for mileage gains from cleaning the valves and chambers. I'm figuring on a pint to 5 gallons, do the Italian tune up, then switch out oil and see.

Anybody know what this stuff is anyway? It's probably acetone! heh heh..

Bill R.
09-12-2005, 09:11 PM
nothing to be jealous of.

Tim,

Somehow you must have missed the great seafoam testimonal season. When I first started reading this board in April, it seemed like everyone was talking seafoam. Here is a representative thread.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11489&page=1&pp=10&highlight=seafoam

People raved about results but oh my god scary experiences getting to the wonderful results. I was too chicken livered to go the seafoam route. Somehow the car not running on all cylinders was just not an experience I wanted.

Also, those flying pieces of carbon didn't sound like a good idea to me. Sounds like shrapnel to me. As spokeperson for the clueless, I don't even understand enough about an engine to know where the flying shrapnel could land, but I figure there can't be very many good places for shrapnel to land in these precision cars.

I am also surprised that the anti-snake oil contingent hasn't jumped on your thread already. I went the slow solvent route instead of the shock solvent and I certainly heard how stupid it was and what a waste of money it was.

All that said, if you go for it, I will be jealous that you did something I don't have the equipment for.

uscharalph
09-12-2005, 11:32 PM
I thought about using Seafoam. As a matter of fact I had pretty much convinced myself. I think I was given the advice to wait until after switching to synthetic oil, just to put the timing of Seafoam use back another 10,000 miles or so and maybe I'd forget about it.