PDA

View Full Version : new member

timeout
09-12-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm new to this forum and I would like to say hello to everyone here. Ever since a good friend let me drive his E34 535 accross the Blue Mountains, I wanted another BMW (had a 525 and 323 back in Austria where I'm from originally), and when I saw this 540 for sale about a year ago, I just knew this was the one.
This forum is a great place for enthusiasts to share information, and maybe over time I can also contribute a little, with my ongoing experiences and limited knowledge.
Happy motoring!

uscharalph
09-12-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm new to this forum and I would like to say hello to everyone here. Ever since a good friend let me drive his E34 535 accross the Blue Mountains, I wanted another BMW (had a 525 and 323 back in Austria where I'm from originally), and when I saw this 540 for sale about a year ago, I just knew this was the one.
This forum is a great place for enthusiasts to share information, and maybe over time I can also contribute a little, with my ongoing experiences and limited knowledge.
Happy motoring!
Welcome! MORE PICTURES!

Jay 535i
09-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Your car looks terrific. I'm jealous already, and you just got here!

Welcome aboard.

SharkmanBMW
09-12-2005, 03:44 PM
really nice colour,
and the wheels look great!
oem or replicas?

timeout
09-12-2005, 09:47 PM
thanks guys, the color is fjord grey metallic (increasing the saturation by a few clicks brought out some of the blue in the pic). The wheels are replicas. Actually I'm not too happy with those, 2 needed to be replaced due to a manufacturing fault. Spinning the wheels on a balancer, I could see that while the lip was running true, the spokes were misaligned where they met the rim. Thats unacceptable, even for replicas.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~rpa916/540side.jpg

before the Eibach kit:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~rpa916/rightrear.jpg

liquidtiger720
09-12-2005, 10:33 PM
awsome car. I love it.

Welcome.

Gayle
09-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Great color.

joreb0
09-13-2005, 11:47 AM
thanks guys, the color is fjord grey metallic (increasing the saturation by a few clicks brought out some of the blue in the pic). The wheels are replicas. Actually I'm not too happy with those, 2 needed to be replaced due to a manufacturing fault. Spinning the wheels on a balancer, I could see that while the lip was running true, the spokes were misaligned where they met the rim. Thats unacceptable, even for replicas.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~rpa916/540side.jpg

before the Eibach kit:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~rpa916/rightrear.jpg

Welcome to the board!
Are you sure that your wheels are defective? Is it causing any shimmy or vibration? The reason I'm asking is I used to have a set of those wheels and the spokes do not look aligned when you spin them. That is how they are made. The 10 pair of spokes meet the rim inward and outward alternatingly.
Anyway, very nice looking car.

timeout
09-26-2005, 11:43 AM
I dont like to bring up an old thread, but I missed that last post, sorry about the delayed reply:

Originally Posted by joreb0
Welcome to the board!
Are you sure that your wheels are defective? Is it causing any shimmy or vibration? The reason I'm asking is I used to have a set of those wheels and the spokes do not look aligned when you spin them. That is how they are made. The 10 pair of spokes meet the rim inward and outward alternatingly.
Anyway, very nice looking car.

I didn't actually mean the alternating spokes, but the wheels themselves seemed to be out of alignment. I measured the distance from where the inner spokes met the rim, to the outside edge, and recorded a difference of up to 4mm (at the arrows in the pic). That just cant be right.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~rpa916/bmw540_files/rim1.jpg

2 out of the 4 wheels had this problem, both were fitted on the rear, where the problem was not evident while driving. This was clearly a manufacturing fault, I could clearly see a slight wobble when the wheels were on a balancer, but only affecting the side of the rim where the inner spokes met, the outside was ok. Most confusing. But there was obviously nothing that could be done, and I ended up buying 2 new replicas for the time being.
Btw the wheels were on the car when I bought it.

granit_silber
09-26-2005, 12:11 PM
welcome!
-ashley

genphreak
09-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Welcome 2 the board timeout, Your 540 has one trick look. Put some pics in the Virtual Car show!

I wouldn't worry about the wheels. If they balance that's ok- unless they are unsafe which I doubt they are.

632 Regal
09-26-2005, 06:54 PM
what can i add here...ummm

damn nice looking ride!

Agreed "jealous" of a neube.

McWatters
09-26-2005, 07:14 PM
wow thats exactly the colour i was thinin of paintin mine i am inlove with that colour dam nice timeout

heh my boat is named timeout.

cheers

J.McWatters

BigKriss
09-27-2005, 12:37 AM
Welcome aboard :)

Randell
09-27-2005, 05:57 AM
another west aussie!

maybe we can get a perth contingent going here, i get jealous hearing about these sydney meetups...