PDA

View Full Version : Some weird iridium facts that i wasn't aware of...

Bill R.
09-11-2005, 07:08 PM
It seems that most of the commonly mined iridium here comes from the dinosaur killer asteroid strike.. Iridium is very rare in the earth but fairly common in asteroids, so when the big asteroid struck, it vaporized and a thin layer of iridium was spread all over the earth..
Also for some strange reason the denso iridium plugs that i put in a car last week cost a lot more than the Ngk iridium spark plugs.. the Ngk iridiums are available at some places on the net for 5.00 or so each.. so the ngk's have really come down in price.

Jeff N.
09-11-2005, 07:10 PM
...any feedback yet on results? Curious..

Brian C.
09-11-2005, 07:15 PM
....to that Iridium Satellite system that went under....down?....a few years ago? Wasn't that the name of it? A sat-phone system or something? I know someone who lost their shorts on that investment.

Brian C.
....and I do remember the dino story....I saw it on Nova. :D

bfd
09-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Also for some strange reason the denso iridium plugs that i put in a car last week cost a lot more than the Ngk iridium spark plugs.. the Ngk iridiums are available at some places on the net for 5.00 or so each.. so the ngk's have really come down in price.

That's interesting. I found just the opposite. For my wife's 2000 Toyota Sienna, at 60K miles, I replaced the stock plugs with Denso iridium. The Denso plugs were *only* $2 more than stock at something like $8.44 each. Comparable NGK plugs were all in the $11+ range. Do you have a cite for these "$5 iridium plugs"?

Bill R.
09-11-2005, 07:31 PM
find out if he noticed any difference, he said that he doesn't ever keep track of gas mileage so he wouldn't know if it got better and that it feels peppier in his own words but then again he didn't have any better details or description so I'm going to have to put some in my cars to see if there really is a difference... Looking at the Denso box that they come in , they state right on the box no uncertain terms that tests indicated x amount of gain in acceleration and x reduction in fuel consumption... I would think that couldn't make that claim here without being able to back it up. And i haven't seen anything on the ftc site about false advertising from them .

...any feedback yet on results? Curious..

Jay 535i
09-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Every atom in your body besides hydrogen was fused together at the center of a star.

We are stardust. :)

Bill R.
09-11-2005, 07:48 PM
5.00 they all are more like 6.00 to 6.50, here's the first place i saw them on ebay (http://stores.ebay.com/Auto-Parts-Store_W0QQssPageNameZmercQ5fviQ5frsccQ5fpr4Q5fpcnQ 5fQ5fstoresQQtZkm)

Then i did a froogle search and came up with a couple of parts houses that had them for mid 6.00 also. The denso power iridiums here at autozone are 12.99, they make 4 different iridiums so maybe you didn't get the power ones As seen here they have four different ones
(http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/plus/features.html)

That's interesting. I found just the opposite. For my wife's 2000 Toyota Sienna, at 60K miles, I replaced the stock plugs with Denso iridium. The Denso plugs were *only* $2 more than stock at something like $8.44 each. Comparable NGK plugs were all in the $11+ range. Do you have a cite for these "$5 iridium plugs"?

Interceptor
09-12-2005, 08:32 AM
find out if he noticed any difference, he said that he doesn't ever keep track of gas mileage so he wouldn't know if it got better and that it feels peppier in his own words but then again he didn't have any better details or description so I'm going to have to put some in my cars to see if there really is a difference... Looking at the Denso box that they come in , they state right on the box no uncertain terms that tests indicated x amount of gain in acceleration and x reduction in fuel consumption... I would think that couldn't make that claim here without being able to back it up. And i haven't seen anything on the ftc site about false advertising from them .The ones I have slightly improved acceleration, top speed and fuel consumption. Not by much, but enough for one to be happy with them, especially if you like your car. :)

On the box it says:
DENSO IRIDIUM POWER
5k Ohm Resistor Noise Reduction
IK20/5304

Here are some interesting links:

Find the type of Denso Iridium Power plug for your BMW:
http://www.globaldenso.com/cgi-bin/global/plug/euro/4w/4w-plug.cgi?action=search&filename=maker10car.csv

Generally about Denso Iridium Power plugs:
http://www.densoiridium.com/ir_power.php