PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid; Dexron II or III?

t_marat
09-10-2005, 07:02 AM
Hi everybody,
Today I went to a servicing station to have the fluid in transmission and steering system. I bought Mobil ATF premium (Dexron III), but the mechanic looked up in its cotalogue and argued that I needed Mobil ATF 220 Dexron II and offered to sell me it. My reasoning was that Dexron III is a newer standard and inherently means better oil. Mechanic was still advising ATF220 so I went back to shop and changed the oil to ATF 220 (it is more expensive to buy from servicing station).
Was the mechanic right in saying that I need ATF 220? Mobile premium costs only a little more than ATF 220.

Thanks.

Rigmaster
09-10-2005, 07:37 AM
AFAIK, Dexron III is an "improved" Dexron II and is 100% compatible- I would use the newer stuff (Dexron III) without hesitation.

Bret.

Bill R.
09-10-2005, 07:44 AM
standards are an improved version and meet all specs and exceed them for dexron II, just as Rigmaster stated.

Hi everybody,
Today I went to a servicing station to have the fluid in transmission and steering system. I bought Mobil ATF premium (Dexron III), but the mechanic looked up in its cotalogue and argued that I needed Mobil ATF 220 Dexron II and offered to sell me it. My reasoning was that Dexron III is a newer standard and inherently means better oil. Mechanic was still advising ATF220 so I went back to shop and changed the oil to ATF 220 (it is more expensive to buy from servicing station).
Was the mechanic right in saying that I need ATF 220? Mobile premium costs only a little more than ATF 220.

Thanks.

genphreak
09-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Yea, what they said!

You probably want to change it out regularly enough to preserve your tranny's life, so it will make little difference what you put in today. :) GP

t_marat
09-10-2005, 08:12 AM
At what intervals would you advise me to change oil? Currently car has travelled about 220K kilolmeter (about 160K miles).

Kalevera
09-10-2005, 05:07 PM
At what intervals would you advise me to change oil? Currently car has travelled about 220K kilolmeter (about 160K miles).
?! What model car, man?!

Sounds like your mechanic got pissed that you bought shop materials from a source other than he. You might want to find a new mechanic -- they don't make money of off of DIY'ers, they'll do everything they can to screw you in the future.

best, whit

t_marat
09-10-2005, 11:26 PM
My car is 1994 BMW 520i with M50 engine (6 cylinders) and manual transmission.

Yeah, I think the mechanic got pissed because I suggested that Dexron III is supposed to be better than Dexron II (and it turned out I was right).

So guys, at what intervals do you suggest I change the oil in transmission? My car currently has 220K kilometers (about 160K miles). After this change of oil shifting became smoother a little, the feeling of the transmission getting into gear is not punctuated as it was before.

thanks.