PDA

View Full Version : Brake wisdom and lore

Jay 535i
09-09-2005, 04:56 PM
There's all kinds of varying wisdom and legend out there about how to properly break in brakes. There's the bedding-in. Some people claim longer lasting rotors if you heat cycle them. Some people stomp on 'em from the beginning.

What do you do?

Jeff N.
09-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Well - maybe this will help.

Rotors: If you're really a freak, you can have the rotors cryogenically treated. They superfreeze 'em basically. Does something to metal crystals to enhance durablity. Racers are all over this. Not applicable to street use unless you want bragging rights.

Pads: Most pads have some sort of break in procedure that helps them mate to the rotors and set the glue compounds used in their manufacture. This is something you definately want to do when you install new pads. Look carefully in the box for an instruction sheet or try that manufactures web site. If all else fails, the web has generic procedures you can try. Most involve repeated partial stops with interval cooling sessions.

Other than that, I don't think there's too much more to consider.

632 Regal
09-09-2005, 06:15 PM
they say that you have to heat cycle the new rotors till they are blue (:D) then you worry about the pads...but if you follow them directions arent the pads already de-greened? and if so since they already were hot as **** how can you properly "bed" them in?

I started a thread on this a while back as I never heard about it and we have been discussing it sence...needless to say I still have some unanswered questions.

mikemaster
09-10-2005, 05:46 AM
Here is some bedding in instructions from a guy who knows his stuff. I just ordered some pads from him.

Bedding in pads (http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm)