PDA

View Full Version : NC (Raleigh gang) meet at Rigmaster's Farm

billb
09-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Alright guys, let's nail this down. Please vote only if you are from the area and planning to come, so we can get a somewhat scientific result.

Bret, please let us know if any of these Saturdays don't work. Let's try not to do a Sunday, for family reasons.

I'll be unable to do 10/22 or 10/29, but will understand if those are chosen.

Rigmaster
09-09-2005, 02:29 PM
I just voted. Right now, it looks like any of those dates works for me. A pig cooker was mentioned- we can go that route if you guys want to, or- there are a couple of GOOD BBQ places nearby (Smithfield's is OK, but these are better- sorry Bill....), there's a really good NY Pizza place and the usual assortment of chain-type eating establishments to choose from.

Bret.

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-09-2005, 09:57 PM
I don't know...The drive might be too much for me & the car.

You guys wanna come here?

smcgowan
09-10-2005, 06:27 AM
TIME? I work on SAt:(

billb
09-12-2005, 06:24 AM
TIME? I work on SAt:(

...open to suggestions. I've got a second event later that evening.
Bret, it's your farm, what's your thought?

granit_silber
09-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Alright guys, let's nail this down. Please vote only if you are from the area and planning to come, so we can get a somewhat scientific result.

Bret, please let us know if any of these Saturdays don't work. Let's try not to do a Sunday, for family reasons.

Bill,

Am I invited?

-ashley (in winston)

billb
09-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Bill,

Am I invited?

-ashley (in winston)
The only limit is self-imposed...if you think you can make it to Clayton, bring it on! But in efforts to keep Australia from rigging the poll, I tried to limit it to the local area. I consider Tennessee local as far as distance, so maybe I should have broadened that out to NC/ Upstate SC/lower VA/East Tennessee. Just let us know when works for you, and if you're coming or not. I'm imagining a gathering where everyone gets there, then we decide what we're gonna eat...

1995 525i
09-15-2005, 11:09 AM

What time will this shin dig be and can we bring older kids (8 years old)?

billb
09-18-2005, 05:20 PM
...and ajt3nc, I don't think we've met you on here yet...give us some info about who and where you are!

Rigmaster
09-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Guys- any time works for me (well- us....). I'm thinking if we want to involve BBQ- then we'd probably want to do dinner, but that might be too late for some folks- especially those that have evening plans. I guess we could get things started a bit before noon, then make a run for some lunch, then back here for continued BS.

If you guys wanted to , we could just grill out burgers and such here- I've got a gas grill, we'd just need to chip in for the food + drinks.

As far as kids- they're more than welcome (we've got a 3 year old son), but keep in mind that this is an active cattle farm- there are assorted sharp metal objects, not to mention all the electric fences (I can turn them off for the duration of this event- but........). We have several things to keep kids of all ages interested- they can go on "nature" walks, check out the cows, try to catch the farm cats, feed the GIANT catfish in the pond- or they can even bring a fishing rod and do a little pond fishing if you like (parental supervision HIGHLY recommended for any children in attendance).

Depending on who turns out, and what your preferences are, we could also spend some time target shooting (bring your own guns + ammo)- but I suppose we need to discuss this ahead of time- even though we have plenty of safe areas to shoot- it may not mix with children in attendance.

Can we narrow down the date yet???

Bret

ajt3nc
09-18-2005, 10:34 PM
...and ajt3nc, I don't think we've met you on here yet...give us some info about who and where you are!

I live in Wilmington and am on my third e34.I drive around 800 miles a week and need a reliable car.
My current e34 is an 89 525 with 125k and bone stock. I bought it last month from a local shop after they did a head replacement and the previous owner refused to pay.I gladly choked up $1100 for it.
I also have a 04 vw golf tdi with 57k , 86 jetta diesel with 326k , and the wife has an 05 yukon ( traded a 04 passat tdi in, what a mistake).
I spent 15 years in the car business and really became addicted to german cars.I have had a few Mercedes and was very dissapointed in the newer models reliability. VWs are cheap cars that are fairly durable but my BMWs have been ultra reliable besides the normal bushings..etc.
I work all over eastern NC, Florence SC, and Myrtle Beach. Wilmington by far has the most BMWs of these areas.

billb
09-19-2005, 04:22 AM
Can we narrow down the date yet???

Bret

Bret-
I can do dinner that evening too, just have to make the appropriate arrangements. By the way, are E30s invited too? ;)

Wifey might be the E34 driver, but, again, we'll have to see.

I don't mind the shootin'-my son was given a lifetime hunting/fishing license for his first Christmas present by my father and father-in-law. Bring it on.

billb
09-21-2005, 05:13 AM
Ashley
ajt3nc
gene
salansky

you guys please email me so I can get you in the loop and we can take meet details off-board. Everyone else, I'll be emailing you within a week about meet specifics, to take some load off of Bret. Let's shoot for an 11am until dinner time frame; should give us plenty of time to meet and greet, check out Bret's farm, check out his donor stock, BS on our cars for a bit, and swap stories. Maybe even a little detail session, or some PM checks of each other's cars. Heck Bret, you got any good remote two-lane roads down your way? :D

632 Regal
09-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Kriss from AU is comming AND theres electric fences??? Man this is tempting!

The only limit is self-imposed...if you think you can make it to Clayton, bring it on! But in efforts to keep Australia from rigging the poll, I tried to limit it to the local area. I consider Tennessee local as far as distance, so maybe I should have broadened that out to NC/ Upstate SC/lower VA/East Tennessee. Just let us know when works for you, and if you're coming or not. I'm imagining a gathering where everyone gets there, then we decide what we're gonna eat...

MTechnik540i
09-27-2005, 05:58 PM

I'm game for pretty much any of those dates....definitely interested in coming.

Gene in NC
09-29-2005, 05:56 PM
If wifey brings her '89 525a do we get two votes? Ladies welcome?

Rigmaster
09-29-2005, 07:12 PM
If wifey brings her '89 525a do we get two votes? Ladies welcome?

I think the voting is over- it was to decide on a date (Nov 12 is the date).

Ladies are welcome, as are children (I know yours are grown.........). :)

I sent an email to the BMW CCA Chapter newsletter editor so he will hopefully run a mention of it in the next newsletter.

Bret.

billb
10-18-2005, 01:43 PM
acyre (maybe)
ajt3nc
billb
gene in NC
scottywm
salansky
guinness
rigmaster
rph
smcgowan
1995 525 (maybe)
mtechnik 540i
byurko (maybe)
chip (dunno?)

plus another dozen or so E30 guys from another board. This could make for an interesting afternoon, Bret!

If anyone else is interested in joining, pm or email me!

Chip
10-19-2005, 07:45 AM
acyre (maybe)
ajt3nc
billb
gene in NC
scottywm
salansky
guinness
rigmaster
rph
smcgowan
1995 525 (maybe)
mtechnik 540i
byurko (maybe)
chip (dunno?)

plus another dozen or so E30 guys from another board. This could make for an interesting afternoon, Bret!

I'll try to clear some time-
change me to 'maybe'

Rigmaster
11-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Hey guys- this is only a couple of days away!! If you haven't gotten directions, please email or PM me or BillB. I just bought an '89 325i auto parts car, so we'll have some fresh pickin's- I'm probably gonna pick the car up this Thursday. I've been trying to find another E34 parts car- but haven't found one in my price range in quite a while......

Bret.

granit_silber
11-09-2005, 10:02 AM
acyre (maybe)
ajt3nc
billb
gene in NC
scottywm
salansky
guinness
rigmaster
rph
smcgowan
1995 525 (maybe)
mtechnik 540i
byurko (maybe)
chip (dunno?)

Bill,
I sent you an e-mail awhile back. I had some business stuff come up for Saturday so I won't be able to make it :(
Can't wait to see pics on the board.
-ashley

billb
11-12-2005, 09:47 PM
...we had a lot of transient traffic today, I'd say about 20 total bimmers throughout the day. Many thanks to Mr. and Mrs. Rigmaster and little Rig for hosting (and babysitting!).

There was some good tall-tale-telling, some good technical hands-on work (a few oil service/inspection light resets, rerouting of some battery vent tubes), and some parts-swapping (and even a few outright sales from the farm!)

Great to meet everyone, and thanks to the Ely family for traveling from Hickory, and Robert for coming up from Greenville. Represented today were tourings, 535, 540, and if you look closely, a little white 318is...whose oil pressure switch decided to bail out on the way home (this will be the fourth one I put in the car in 3 years!)

Edit: Ages 2 through 72 were represented :)

I can see some future rally pairings in the two tiny-tots.

p.s. Bret if you find an orange hat in/around the white E30 auto, I know who it belongs to. :(

For all the pics I took go to this link:
Rigfest 2005 (http://photobucket.com/albums/d106/tarheelbimmer/Rigfest%202005/)

Your read-only password is bessie.

In the group photo of the cars that remained before dinner, from left to right:
my E30, Gene in NC's 535, the Ely's M Technik 540i, Salansky's 540i, RPH's 535i, SMCGowan's 525i, Mrs. Rig's 535, and Mr. Rig's 525iT (or vice versa). My apologies if I got them out of order or the wrong model...I was trying to dodge the chips.

Great dinner at Stephenson's near McGee's Crossroads, family style! Web was asleep exactly 4 minutes after we left the restaurant.

Thanks everyone for coming out! Everyone chime in and let us know how you enjoyed the day.

Rigmaster
11-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Bill (and all you other guys/gals that were here today),

we all (Me, Mrs Rig + Rig Jr) want to thank you for such an enjoyable day!! We'd like to make this a regular thing, maybe every 2-3 months (more often if there's enough interest)- not necessarily meeting here if you guys find another location, but we are definitely open to hosting whenever you guys want to do it again. I think next time we can do some more tech things- repairs, pulling parts, whatever- if you guys would like. I hope to have a real shop sometime in the not-too-distant future, so we could even do this when the weather is not as picture-perfect as it was today.

We had a great time, enjoyed meeting all of you and putting faces together with names (or aliases....).

Bill- I'll have a look around for Webb's (it is 2 "b's", right?) hat, and tell him that Thomas REALLY enjoyed having a co-conspirator to play with all day today- and he wants to do it again very soon!!! :)

Bret

632 Regal
11-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Looks like a great time! Wish you would move that farm closer to me man.

MTechnik540i
11-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Bret, Bill and everyone else who helped put this together: Thanks a lot, really enjoyed today, nice putting names to faces, learning some things and picking up some parts!

Here's a couple pictures from the end of the day...

http://www.ncaudi.org/gallery/albums/album274/rigmaster_farm_1.sized.jpg

http://www.ncaudi.org/gallery/albums/album274/rigmaster_farm_3.sized.jpg

http://www.ncaudi.org/gallery/albums/album274/rigmaster_farm_5.sized.jpg

...and one for ya'll to enjoy from the drive back...

http://www.ncaudi.org/gallery/albums/album274/rigmaster_farm_8improved.sized.jpg

billb
11-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Bill- I'll have a look around for Webb's (it is 2 "b's", right?) hat, and tell him that Thomas REALLY enjoyed having a co-conspirator to play with all day today- and he wants to do it again very soon!!! :)

Bret

Thomas is now #1 on Web's prayer list, in front of Uncle Jack-Jack and his Bronco, and way ahead of Daddy...we even had a reserved seat at the breakfast table for Thomas this morning, and Mommy had to move. Your son had a profound impact on Web; amazing how little boys can make such strong friendships in such a short time. I think the kicker was there were no toys to share, since they were all too big for them to lift!

We could all learn a little from them...

Thanks again, everyone.