PDA

View Full Version : Low transmission stall speed

aaron
09-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Hi folks,

My 1990 E34, 535i w/130k miles, sometimes feels quite gutless off the line. I noticed in the bentley manual that the transmission stall speed should be between 2100 and 2300. I checked my car, and I'm at 1600 RPMs (barely).

I am at 5000 ft altitude and I do have significant miles, both facts would drop the stall speed a few hundred RPMs. But 1600 seems way too low. The engine lopes a bit at idle, but it pulls as smooth and as strong as I'd expect it to even at low RPMs (although I don't have any other BMW to compare with).

What would cause such a low stall speed, and could a transmission shop do anything to adjust or fix it? Would a fluid replacement make any difference? It needs that anyway.

Aaron

632 Regal
09-09-2005, 10:25 AM
weak engine will cause lower stall.

Alexlind123
09-09-2005, 04:05 PM
I think this low stall thing has happened to me once. Only at full throttle though, partial throttle (especially taking off on a turn when it has just drizzled) will result in some nice wheelspin. Maybe sport mode has a higher lockup? When i first got the car i checked the atf fluid and it was very near the low mark (it was cold). It shifts very smoothly (almost dont notice it). Is there anything that can change the lockup?

Randell
09-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Hi folks,

My 1990 E34, 535i w/130k miles, sometimes feels quite gutless off the line.

Aaron

i had a problem with the transmission where the TQ was constantly locked, it was like getting off the line in 3rd gear... turned out the solenoid that tells it to unlock was not doing it's job. i had it fixed and now when i floor it off the line the revs will jump to just above 2000 (still feels weak though). I've never checked the stall speed though (scared of breaking the transmission, i feel like it's just hanging on despite being rebuilt twice in the last year!)

it always feels gutless off the line though, for some reason an automatic holden commodore (bogan aussie sedan) launches off the line with much more go even though it's using a crusty old buick 3.8L V6.. i can't even get my wheels to break traction in the dry unless i'm cranking the wheel (and that's without an LSD !).

I'm thinking BMW wanted it smooth instead of forceful off the line..

Jay 535i
09-09-2005, 09:57 PM
.. i can't even get my wheels to break traction in the dry unless i'm cranking the wheel (and that's without an LSD !).

I'm thinking BMW wanted it smooth instead of forceful off the line..

With big tires, an auto tranny, ~230 lb/ft of torque and 4500lb to hustle, wheelspin was always going to be out of the question.

Alexlind123
09-10-2005, 11:18 AM
High speeds is where it really shows its colors.

aaron
09-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Well it sounds like a stall at ~1600 is still low. I'm not trying to break the tires - just pull out into traffic with natural gusto. I'll check the throttle linkages to make sure it's achieving full throttle when it should, and then take it to a transmission shop and see what they think.