PDA

View Full Version : Back in the Bimmer familiy!

M-what
09-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the info and insights this week on my 90 535i. I bought it and now I get to play with it.
1. First thing is to get full tune and valve job. It failed the emission test, too high on the HC emission during idle. Hopefully full tune up will fix that.
2. It needs the "thrust" bushing on the upper control arm. Has anyone installed the Bav. auto performance bushing. Or the bushing from 750i model. The price for (2) Bav.auto w/ new ball joints & perf. bushing installed to new arms are $300 and a canadian company sells the same w/ a 750 bushings for $200.
3. Motor mounts need to be done. Looks pretty simple. Any tips or website for doing the tranny mounts?(manual)
Thanks
Steve

Gayle
09-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the info and insights this week on my 90 535i. I bought it and now I get to play with it.
1. First thing is to get full tune and valve job. It failed the emission test, too high on the HC emission during idle. Hopefully full tune up will fix that.
2. It needs the "thrust" bushing on the upper control arm. Has anyone installed the Bav. auto performance bushing. Or the bushing from 750i model. The price for (2) Bav.auto w/ new ball joints & perf. bushing installed to new arms are $300 and a canadian company sells the same w/ a 750 bushings for $200.
3. Motor mounts need to be done. Looks pretty simple. Any tips or website for doing the tranny mounts?(manual)
Thanks
Steve

First thing--fill out your profile :)

Kalevera
09-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Steve: Call Patrick at BMA -- http://www.bmaparts.com. Mention the forum discount code - .info - and get better prices than I usually do, even with our wholesalers accounts at all of the various distributors. Note that the web site is not indicative of what they have in stock, or the price that they'll charge you (usually much less, but you'll pay shipping on phone orders). Patrick is excellent, and I'd be surprised if you'll want to do business with anyone else after one transaction with BMA.

Ask for lemforder arms with the 750 bushings pre pressed. Or, buy the M5 bushings (more robust than the 750 units) and have the local machine shop press them for you. Forget BavAuto -- they're consistently overpriced and appeal to people with more bucks than brains. Don't even get us started on urethane and the E34 (do a search if you want to read the cat fights).

Motor and tranny mounts on a 535 are easy. If you're doing them yourself, you'll see what I mean once you get under the car. An engine hoist or jack with a piece of wood on the lifting plate can be used to support the motor....there's really nothing to the job.

best, whit

632 Regal
09-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Bavauto usually has competative prices on stuff but they rarly mention brands and ship crap for a couple bux less than real quality items.

M-what
09-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Thanks again Lowell, I will call him 1st thing in the morning.