PDA

View Full Version : what size speaker?

Denasti
09-08-2005, 04:14 PM
I replaced all the speaker except the ones in the dash and I am still lacking in that front fill. Has anyone ever replaced these on top of putting in front components? I was thinking of running a set in there off of just the head unit for some fill in.

What size will fit without major mods?

Thanks,

Jake

Now running

Kenwood Echelon 828
Rockford fosgate 5 1/4 components
Rockford fosgate 5 1/4's
Jl Audio 12's
MTX 404
MTX 4150d

Incantation
09-08-2005, 05:22 PM
get some better components for the front and/or tune your deck/amp for more midrange so that your kickpanels fire more juice

Denasti
09-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Very hard to find a deck that can adjust so many frequency features like a Echelon but those kick panel 5 1/4's fire right at my feet. If I was 6' tall or better then the seat may be back far enough to hear it but untill then I will have to rely on sound direction. Another possibility is to make my own cross over and put more midrange to the tweeters.

I read a old post about these speaker holes and saw someone mounted some 4" MB Quarts up there. I measured the old speakers and think they're 2 1/2's.

So, to answer my own question. 2 1/2" to 4" would make it with modification.

As to updating my speakers? I am looking at a e39 this weekend. I will definitely invest in some high end equipment on it.

The E34 has been passed down to my boy. I could just see my son driving to school and coming home after a football game at 11pm to see his car stripped. I got his system and installed it all and built his box for under $500. It'll do fer now. :D

jplacson
09-08-2005, 08:03 PM
I did.. running Infinity components in the front... 5.25" in the kicks, the tweeters in the dash. Since these are surface mounted tweeters, you don't need to "mount" them in the hole.