PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever re-upholstered their rear package shelf?

JR'Z 525
02-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Noticed mine was coming unglued and lifting last time I vacuumed the interior. Sun has faded it also. I guess I could do it the same way as the headliner using the same material etc. Any thoughts?
JR

Russell
02-29-2004, 12:06 PM
BMA quoted me about $150-175. Local dealer was about $275. I decided to wait until I needed to install rear shocks and install a new shelf then.

I have heard of people recovering with headliner material as you suggested. Check the old archives. There may be something there.

I considered recoloring until I found the fabric is loose. Also a local auto upholstery shop said the material will not dye evenly as it is velour like material.

Good luck

Noticed mine was coming unglued and lifting last time I vacuumed the interior. Sun has faded it also. I guess I could do it the same way as the headliner using the same material etc. Any thoughts?
JR

Unregistered
02-29-2004, 04:31 PM
BMA quoted me about $150-175. Local dealer was about $275. I decided to wait until I needed to install rear shocks and install a new shelf then.

I have heard of people recovering with headliner material as you suggested. Check the old archives. There may be something there.

I considered recoloring until I found the fabric is loose. Also a local auto upholstery shop said the material will not dye evenly as it is velour like material.

Good luck

I will soon be covering my rear package shelf in alacantara ultra-suede material.

JR'Z 525
02-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Where did you get the material? cost? color match? etc
JR

Russell
02-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Yes, please tell us more.

steven
02-29-2004, 09:38 PM
i recovered mine (previous owner had a very unruly dog that tore through it and a couple of other areas....). while it looks ok, it didn't come out as well as i'd like. there are a lot more nooks and crannies and headliner material just wasn't very effective (it's lifting). plus - it gets direct sun so it gets hot. i found that glue wasn't effective.

at some point, if i see on from a wreck or on ebay for a decent price, i'll go that route. it's not a priority as it doesn't look horrible.

Russell
08-22-2005, 07:46 PM
I need a source of material. Per shogun's experience with headliners, I think I need to stick with 1/8 material. What is is the best glue/bonding agent to use?

TIA

Yes, please tell us more.

Russell
08-23-2005, 08:33 AM
I have searched the web and archives. No luck yet. TIA

I need a source of material. Per shogun's experience with headliners, I think I need to stick with 1/8 material. What is is the best glue/bonding agent to use?

TIA

dternst
08-23-2005, 10:26 AM
The procedure would have to be similar to replacing the headliner. Checkout Shogun's Headliner post from yesterday.

Russell
08-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Looking for US supplier of 1/8" material. None he mentioned seems to have anything but 1/4" material. Thanks for the thought.

]The procedure would have to be similar to replacing the headliner. Checkout Shogun's Headliner post from yesterday.[/QUOTE]

callen
08-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Did my 7 few months ago..used standard headliner material with 3M adhesive...looks good. You do have to be carefull when you disasymble so you don't break plastic clips and such when pulling side panels and shelf out....

callen.