PDA

View Full Version : Aux. Fan Said Bye-Bye.... Has Anyone->

Don McAdams
09-08-2005, 09:28 AM
Had luck w/ the $145 "brand new / aftermarket" ones on eBay? I know the aux. fan asmb. runs over $500 for a new one from the dealer, just wondering if anyone has good luck with the eBay ones? It comes complete w/ the shroud, resistor, motor, etc.... for the $145 it doesn't sound bad- I just don't want have to "replace" the new one next year if they are not made well (non-OEM)

My aux. fan was popping fuse #25 so I took the bumper off & the fan is hard as hell to spin (makes a loud grinding noise when it is jumpered to run)- It will work however when it is jumpered in both speeds, just sounds like hell- I know it is toast-

Thanks for any help guys! ;)
http://members.aol.com/e30m3therealm3/e34park.jpg

Black 535i
09-08-2005, 09:34 AM
My mechanic in Chicago only charged me $325.00 for an original fan a few months ago. Deal with them if you can or shop around some more. Where are you located?

Had luck w/ the $145 "brand new / aftermarket" ones on eBay? I know the aux. fan asmb. runs over $500 for a new one from the dealer, just wondering if anyone has good luck with the eBay ones? It comes complete w/ the shroud, resistor, motor, etc.... for the $145 it doesn't sound bad- I just don't want have to "replace" the new one next year if they are not made well (non-OEM)

My aux. fan was popping fuse #25 so I took the bumper off & the fan is hard as hell to spin (makes a loud grinding noise when it is jumpered to run)- It will work however when it is jumpered in both speeds, just sounds like hell- I know it is toast-

Thanks for any help guys! ;)
http://members.aol.com/e30m3therealm3/e34park.jpg

MBXB
09-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Someone on this board replaced his fan with a Flexalite or some other aftermarket 16 inch fan. It's buried in the old posts somewhere.

SRR2
09-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Autohaus has the complete fan assembly for $278 shipped. For that relatively small difference in amount of money, and considering the labor involved in changing it, why monkey around with an unknown product from ebay?

Don McAdams
09-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Autohaus has the complete fan assembly for $278 shipped. For that relatively small difference in amount of money, and considering the labor involved in changing it, why monkey around with an unknown product from ebay?

The Autohaus Aux. Fan is ACM brand (same as the eBay one except $133 cheaper ;) ) Bimmerparts.com also sells the same fan for $242- The labor to change out the aux fan is very easy- the front bumper is already off the car- ready to swap fans out.

My point in asking about the eBay fan is just that- to see if anyone has any "experiences" using it- That's all..... Is it worth it or not-

Thanks Guys!!!! :)

SRR2
09-08-2005, 10:33 AM
That's interesting. Autohaus is usually pretty aggressive on pricing. How do you suppose that someone can sell the same product for half the price? Something just doesn't sound right with that. If ACM isn't the OEM supplier, do you know who is?

Don McAdams
09-08-2005, 10:40 AM
That's interesting. Autohaus is usually pretty aggressive on pricing. How do you suppose that someone can sell the same product for half the price? Something just doesn't sound right with that. If ACM isn't the OEM supplier, do you know who is?

That's kinda what I'm thinking.... But for $145 how can you go wrong? The resistor alone lists for $45 at the dealer- I e-mailed the company that sells them on eBay, they are brand new, complete as shown, etc.... plus they are also in FL- ACM is shown on most all the parts suppilers sites that stock this. BMA does not show any listing- I know on some of the E36' Hella makes the aux. fan (& Bimmerparts sells it at an awesome price- just more for the E34 than can be found!)

Need the aux. fan living in FL :(

Jeff N.
09-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Don't want to try a salvage yard? They don't seem to fail often - I wouldn't be afraid of a used one. Of couse, as most cars get bingo-ed in the front end, finding one may be the real issue.

Ever try www.car-parts.com ? I've had pretty good luck finding reasonable prices for used parts via them.

Don McAdams
09-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Don't want to try a salvage yard? They don't seem to fail often - I wouldn't be afraid of a used one. Of couse, as most cars get bingo-ed in the front end, finding one may be the real issue.

Ever try www.car-parts.com ? I've had pretty good luck finding reasonable prices for used parts via them.

I know- maybe I'll give Rigmaster a holler :D & see what he has "in" stock-

Thanks!

SRR2
09-08-2005, 11:13 AM
One of the tricks I use is plugging the part number into Google. It's amazing what they turn up. You might give it a try with this fan. The first few links has it for $124, $139, $144, $140, a Bosch (presumably the OEM) for $450, $299 (Bavauto). Guess you takes yer pick, eh?

Derek A.
09-08-2005, 03:08 PM
I got a Hayden fan from Murray's Auto Parts. Was A $60 out of the box special. Used some of the existing mount points - used their zip ties for the rest. Works just like the OEM, you need to remove the bumper to even notice that its not a BMW OEM fan. The current draw is within spec so no fuses blow.

emw525E34
09-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Oh, I got an Isuzu AUx fan to retrofit into the harness using stainless steel clamps. They are still going after 4 years and 2 yrs of serious track days. Cost me $20 and 3 hours work. About 1/4 the weight of the OEM combo.
I would not buy OEM if I can DIY cheaper and better.

G-man
09-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Just wanted to chime in on the aux fan question.

I purchased a aux fan off ebay on July 11th from rojoimparts for $145 plus shipping. Don't remember what brand it was. I installed it and it worked fine but has since stopped working as of this week. I haven't had a chance to pull it off yet to see what the problem is. I jumped it off the sensor on the radiator and the fan is not working so I suspect the motor to be bad but can't tell for sure until I pull it off.

I e-mailed rojoimparts to ask about their warranty policy but have not had a reply from them as of yet. I hope I don't get screwed.

HTH

Don McAdams
09-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Just wanted to chime in on the aux fan question.

I purchased a aux fan off ebay on July 11th from rojoimparts for $145 plus shipping. Don't remember what brand it was. I installed it and it worked fine but has since stopped working as of this week. I haven't had a chance to pull it off yet to see what the problem is. I jumped it off the sensor on the radiator and the fan is not working so I suspect the motor to be bad but can't tell for sure until I pull it off.

I e-mailed rojoimparts to ask about their warranty policy but have not had a reply from them as of yet. I hope I don't get screwed.

HTH

THANKS!!! That is the one I was about to order (RojoImparts) off of eBay. I kinda thought the price was too good to be true! I hope evrything works out for you & they warranty the fan for you...... Please kep us posted-

Hopefully Bret has a good used one I can get from him.... :)

Thanks Guys-

Jose
09-09-2005, 02:23 PM
You could try Spal or Facet fans. Facet is the one used in professional auto sport, it should last for years in normal road use and they deliver the tripple airdisplacement above the simple OEm fan.

G-man
09-13-2005, 03:11 PM
THANKS!!! That is the one I was about to order (RojoImparts) off of eBay. I kinda thought the price was too good to be true! I hope evrything works out for you & they warranty the fan for you...... Please kep us posted-

Hopefully Bret has a good used one I can get from him.... :)

Thanks Guys-

Update....

Good news!................ I took the front bumper off and found out it was the harness/connector. Jiggled the harness/connector and the fan is working again. :D

Additionally regarding RojoImparts warranty, they replied to my e-mail as follows....

"It could be something else wrong besides the fan like the temperature switch for aux fan, do you really know it is with the fan the problem.

If it is we will take it back and replace it after we check the fan".

Glad to say that I don't have to send it in for warranty but good to know they stand behind their products even though it is a bit of a hassle to have to send it in and wait for them to check it b4 I get a new one. Guess that's one of the downsides of buying off the internet at bargain prices.

HTH

On another note, I just moved from NYC to ATL, what weight Mobil 1 should I be running?

I'm thinking 15w50 Mobil 1 in the summer and 0w40 Mobil 1 in the winter.

TIA

etherpool
09-15-2005, 05:18 PM
How hard is it to replace this fan. Mine just died. Kinda wishing I'd got the 3 series instead!

G-man
09-15-2005, 06:38 PM
How hard is it to replace this fan. Mine just died. Kinda wishing I'd got the 3 series instead!

Not hard at all.....do a search on this forum and Roadfly and you'll get the details.

Basically it's as follows:

Remove the side marker lamps & bumper trim.
Remove the 4 bolts holding the bumper in and remove bumper.
Take off some of the trim pieces above the bumper and remove the fan and reinstall.

Make sure it's not just the resistor....you can search on how to test that as well.

Gearhead
05-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Okay, so another 8 months have passed... G-Man, is that fan still working. Looks like I might need to buy one and just wanted to see how it's doing for you.

Thanks!

John

632 Regal
05-17-2006, 02:34 PM
apparently not:

Last Activity: 09-15-2005 07:39 PM

Okay, so another 8 months have passed... G-Man, is that fan still working. Looks like I might need to buy one and just wanted to see how it's doing for you.

Thanks!

John

Gearhead
05-17-2006, 03:11 PM
LOL, exactly Jeff.... Hoping no news is good news on that fan.

BTW, do you have the rest of that bananna video available?! :D

Don McAdams
05-17-2006, 03:13 PM

Thanks!

John

I bought the same fan (from the same seller off eBay)- all is well, the fan works fine (several months later). Make sure (seeing G-Man had the same problem...) take a zip strap around both terminal connectors to keep them together. The aux. fan has a NON-OEM connector and does not "click"- snap (all the way) connecting them. A zip strap will solve this- Other than that- for the $$ a decent aux. fan-

HTH-

Gearhead
05-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks Don. This seller (rojoimparts) doesn't have any currently listed for our application. Do you recall the manufacturer. Was it infact an ACM fan? Do you have a part number off of it? I'm thinking maybe I can find it elsewhere for a similar price.

Thanks!

John

Don McAdams
05-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks Don. This seller (rojoimparts) doesn't have any currently listed for our application. Do you recall the manufacturer. Was it infact an ACM fan? Do you have a part number off of it? I'm thinking maybe I can find it elsewhere for a similar price.

Thanks!

John

E-mail them. I had to wait about 7 business days before their next shipment arrived. They did get it though, it was shipped double boxed, safely packaged, etc. FWIR it is an ACM- everything is great minus the terminal connector (on the aux. fan side)- but like I said a zip strap will cure that. I do not recall a part number- it has been a while! Other cheapest is AutoHausz for $202-?

Best,

Gearhead
05-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Yeah, saw that AutoHausz part too. Here's the thing, if I run a Froogle (google shopping) search on the ACM part number G5000-38536, they average right around $300.

But if I run the same search using the BMW part number 64541392913 they average around $124..... about what you paid. Hence, my question about your part being an ACM part. If so, you really did well. Now I guess I just need to find out who's making these $124 fans....