PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions Nokian WR

uberhahn
09-08-2005, 06:32 AM
For the last 12 months I've been driving my car on questionable tires. The Michellin's in front were probably original tires. Although the tread was still sufficient, I think they had gone through so many heat cycles that the rubber really hardened. The rear tires were a set of Pirelli Vizzo's. Though these are probably ok for a dry environment, Michigan is no place for them.

Driving last winter was an adventure. Although I never had problems moving or stopping, this is partially due to ASC, and partially due to several years of rally driving.

So, I bought a set of 225/60R15 Nokian WR's just yesterday. I wanted to stay with the original wheel size, as Michigan roads would demolish any + conversions.

My one-way commute is roughly 43.75 miles. The tires are quiet on the inside. However, when driving with the window open, I could definitely tell that they were grabbing every expansion joint. Cornering was somewhat soft initially. However, this is primarily due to the fact that the tires haven't gone through their initial heat cycle yet. This will come in the next few days.
In the heavy rain this morning, in situations where I would normally slow to 50 mph with the older tires, I decided to drive through at "normal" speed. I felt no hydroplaning, and stability and tracking were excellent.

These tires have a 96Q wear rating, so 50,000 mi should be no problem. I will let you know how they are in the snow.

uberhahn

pyro
09-08-2005, 08:09 PM
my dad has thsoe tires on his volvo and he and i both love them and yes when you roll down your window the road noise is incredible lol

Maki
09-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Hey, Uberhahn. Hope the WRs work for you over there in the Mitten. I'm a second-shifter with a 90-mile round-trip commute I wrap up around 12:30 a.m., way west of Milwaukee. Let us say that the plowboys are snoring by the time I pull into my driveway.

To be honest, I thought the WRs were decent at best last winter -- no match for the Nokian NRW. To be fair, my WR experience was in a 20-year old Mercedes diesel wagon, and the NRWs in question are on a '95 Millenia with traction control and ABS. But none of the computer voodoo was kicking in on the Mazda when I was driving 50mph (OK, 55) down the icy highway at midnight. The Mercedes trip was more like 45 mph, and less confidence-inspiring. It wasn't scary, but I had hoped for better.

I see that Nokian offers a new R-rated RSI tire that supersedes the Hakkapeliita Qs, dunno much about it. Loved the Qs, much better than the Blizzak WS-50s, which is my only Blizzak experience. The Qs are sweet if you have to deal with ice on the road, and quite durable (NOT all-season, though). Unfortunately, Nokian has rendered them obsolete.

I just bought a new set of Qs for the Mazda at a closeout price, BTW... www.tirefactory.net -- FREE shipping. A little slow but they got it done. I think they might have a few 15-inch NRWs left, but one of my car maniac pals said the NRWs didn't hold up under summer service. So the old tire adage stands: Ya got your winter tires, and your summer tires...

Russ Maki
Ixonia, Wis.
living amid a heap of cars