PDA

View Full Version : How to sell a 15 year old e34 with 200k

Gayle
09-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Those of you how saw the "happy dance" thread know that we sold the lip.

I promised I would share the "sales brochure" that allowed him to sell himself. This is all the best of my marketing classes in my MBA program, the experience I gained in my 2004 ebay addiction, and my psych background.

This brochure does a couple of things. (1) It uses the Starbucks model of you are not selling $4 cup of coffee, you are selling an experience. I describe what I understand the e34 experience to be. (2) It use the wiifm principle--"whats in it for me" buying this car. (3) It addresses the suspicions people have about why are you selling without communicating desparation for money. And it addresses the mileage issue and the fear people have that everything is ready to break on a high mileage car. I owe the responses in that section to people on this board who offered advice to others who were selling and to the people who voiced their frustration that potential buyers are afraid of the miles.

I am not suggesting that you do what we did exactly cause we are in a pretty unique market for older BMWs. But where-ever you are and whenever you sell you e34 (god forbid), this will help you deal with the concerns in the minds of your potential buyers and will help you help potential buyers to recognize what fabulous cars e34s are. Remember--when you sell, convert the buyer into an enthusiast.

MBXB
09-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Nice copy, Gayle.

Dave M
09-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks Gayle,

I've saved this for ideas, just in case I buy a second one I want to sell :)

Dave m

Randell
09-07-2005, 11:39 PM
that's a lot better than 'FOR SALE: (phone number)' ! So many people don't even include the price because it might scare off potential buyers, but without a base price most people won't even bother

you are correct that most people are scared by mileage, but the fact you had a a nearly new engine in there would've been a strong selling point. for a 'normal' person the engine is the only part of the car that ever breaks, so a 37000 mile one is far more attractive than a 200000 mile one..

another bit of info to add would be that the E34 was designed and released at a time when money was no object when designing and building a car, unlike today! I personally see new cars as cheap and nasty in most cases, the cost cutting is evident before you even open the door... the E34s, like the S class mercs from the 80s (w126) are pure quality (except the door brakes)

are you sure about the new 7 being the same size as the e34? i was next to one at the lights the other day and i felt like a little kid looking up at their daddy.. those things can only be classified as a tank!

btw, how cool is it looking through those sales brochures! i would love to have a hard copy of those ...

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-07-2005, 11:59 PM
It's getting deep!

Madison Ave. watch out

You left out the story of BMW's aviation history and how this is carried on to BMW’s cars and how it is to be maintained like an aircraft, so it does not fail on the road. But rather has a scheduled maintenance program built in to the car that demands oil changes and inspections at regular intervals based on a combination of mileage and hours. (Like an aircraft)

Zeuk in Oz
09-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Nice poetic licence ! May I suggest you sit in a new 3 series to get your size perspectives right ! :p
The tears are still flowing - just as well I can touch - type (joke) !
What ? Didn't you want the car to go to an illiterate who couldn't read ?
Nicely done though ! ;)

Gayle
09-08-2005, 06:48 AM
Nice poetic licence ! May I suggest you sit in a new 3 series to get your size perspectives right ! :p
The tears are still flowing - just as well I can touch - type (joke) !
What ? Didn't you want the car to go to an illiterate who couldn't read ?
Nicely done though ! ;)

I always want my former possessions to go to a good home. Anyone who is going to keep the lip on the road will have to be able to read--whether it is bentley, this forum, or whatever. It was a pre-qualification test--are you worthy to own this car?

I fully expected to be challenged on the factual accurary of some of the things I said in there, but I am surprised it is the size thing. I am always shocked when I get in younger bmws how small they are. This so cal. Everyone has a bmw, so it is not an infrequent occurance to ride in youner bmws. The 2001 525 I went to lunch in last week had the interrior size of my former e30 convertible. My next door neighbor has a new 7. It looks small sitting on the street (his wifes new convertible and his sons 3 get the garage). Think I will sneak out with my tape measure.

And Randall, no doubt the upper engine was a plus. But when we ambivalently (changed my mind daily for about six weeks whether or not to sell it) put the lip up for sale on auto trader last spring, it didn't occur to us to mention the new engine. Duh. And I think it is pretty easy to make a case that these engines are strong. It is really all the other stuff around them that fails. I think it is a smart thing to say to a buyer, this is what normally fails at xx mileage and it has already been replaced on this car.

Alexlind123
09-08-2005, 07:48 AM
I cant download the brochure. Is it just me?

liquidtiger720
09-08-2005, 08:14 AM
I cant download the brochure. Is it just me?
I dont know, but it was darn good. If you can't download it, post your email and I will send it to you.

brodee
09-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Please be considerate of the neighborhood and don’t turn this flyer into liter

Actually it's 2.5 liter isn't it?? :D

granit_silber
09-08-2005, 09:44 AM
btw, how cool is it looking through those sales brochures! i would love to have a hard copy of those ...

Randell,

Try Autolit.com (pretty sure that's the address) They carry original hard copies of automotive literature for most makes and models. Last time I checked the sales catalog (their term) was $12.

-ashley

Lennyz525i
09-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Nice flyer! Now I understand how you were able to sell a 90 525i for that much. I don't agree how newer BMWs are smaller though. I'll bet you the E90 has more interior space then the E34.

nuwde
09-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Nice flyer! Now I understand how you were able to sell a 90 525i for that much. I don't agree how newer BMWs are smaller though. I'll bet you the E90 has more interior space then the E34.

Great ad! Makes me love my exclusive car more. :)

The sales guy at BMW said the E90 is smaller than the E34 on the outside, but the interior dimensions are a little bigger. I did not get a chance to sit in one yet.

1995 525i
09-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Those of you how saw the "happy dance" thread know that we sold the lip.

I promised I would share the "sales brochure" that allowed him to sell himself. This is all the best of my marketing classes in my MBA program, the experience I gained in my 2004 ebay addiction, and my psych background.

This brochure does a couple of things. (1) It uses the Starbucks model of you are not selling $4 cup of coffee, you are selling an experience. I describe what I understand the e34 experience to be. (2) It use the wiifm principle--"whats in it for me" buying this car. (3) It addresses the suspicions people have about why are you selling without communicating desparation for money. And it addresses the mileage issue and the fear people have that everything is ready to break on a high mileage car. I owe the responses in that section to people on this board who offered advice to others who were selling and to the people who voiced their frustration that potential buyers are afraid of the miles.

I am not suggesting that you do what we did exactly cause we are in a pretty unique market for older BMWs. But where-ever you are and whenever you sell you e34 (god forbid), this will help you deal with the concerns in the minds of your potential buyers and will help you help potential buyers to recognize what fabulous cars e34s are. Remember--when you sell, convert the buyer into an enthusiast.
Excellent document Gayle. Please note the changes that would have to be made for my car ,should I sell it,for my machine isn't nearly as cherry as your was/is:

BMW Quality lasts forever: You only have to look inside to see what I mean. Looks well used doesn't it? Two tone armrests and lovely cloudy chrome trim. don't you just love how the armests have the rough dark center?

If it is so great why are you selling it? Well Although i love the car I have been driven mad by the floating demons that attack one part then move on to another. I lock my car with the remote before I go to work and when I come out I have to unlock the car with me keys. The remote still doesn't work and nobody knows why. It has puny crappy rims on it that make it look like a chubby kid wearing shorts that are too small for him and I can't afford new ones.

What is the story with its mileage and maintenance? Well the miles are mostly to work and back miles and although I have maintained this car as meticulously as I could I am positive I will never get back the $2500 I huve dumped into it (and I haven't even touched the things that are still stock like the fuel pump,water pump and shocks). Hopefully you, prospective buyer, will have the extra funds needed to make this car a true contender. Otherwise it will continue to be the kid with freckles at the school dance wearing a white members only jacket and too much of his Dad's Polo cologne.

:D

Boz

Zeuk in Oz
09-08-2005, 04:55 PM
It was a pre-qualification test--are you worthy to own this car?
I love it !
All it needed were some hidden clues and it could have starred Harrison Ford and that bald Scot ....what's his name..... oh yes, Sean Connery.
Seriously though, well done.
Not only with the brochure but what I find most interesting is the fact that you apparently parked it on exhibition somewhere unlocked.
Interesting ploy !

Alexlind123
09-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Could someone email me the brochure, i cant download it for some reason
Alex.Lindberg@gmail.com

Gayle
09-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Not only with the brochure but what I find most interesting is the fact that you apparently parked it on exhibition somewhere unlocked.
Interesting ploy !

The funny thing about it was no one stole the gasoline out of it, yet Charlie who was parked on the street in front of our house a half block away had his tank siphoned last week. My bad for leaving him unlocked. I was most annoyed that the gas cap was dropped on the ground and run over before I noticed it.

Gayle
09-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Could someone email me the brochure, i cant download it for some reason
Alex.Lindberg@gmail.com

try this

http://rhantos.fw.hu/

This brochure is thanks to Shogun who posted it a couple of months ago.

Mitch90535im
09-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Find an enthusist to purchase the e34, provided it has been well maintained with proper documentation. Didn't look at your brochure, but it it is a m-30 and a 5spd. it should sell itself. Don't try to figure the cost of any aftermarket mods into your asking price.

If your car doesn't qualify for at least 3 or the 4 items I mentioned above, market it as a beater to a teenager, they should be thrilled to get it, just because it's a BMW.

Follow-up - I took a quick look at your brochure and I think you did a good job. Other than the 3.5 instead of the m-30 I think you've got a prtty good chance of getting close to your asking price. Good luck.

Gayle
09-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Find an enthusist to purchase the e34, provided it has been well maintained with proper documentation. Didn't look at your brochure, but it it is a m-30 and a 5spd. it should sell itself. Don't try to figure the cost of any aftermarket mods into your asking price.

If your car doesn't qualify for at least 3 or the 4 items I mentioned above, market it as a beater to a teenager, they should be thrilled to get it, just because it's a BMW.

Follow-up - I took a quick look at your brochure and I think you did a good job. Other than the 3.5 instead of the m-30 I think you've got a prtty good chance of getting close to your asking price. Good luck.

You missed it. It was already sold before I posted this. I was just sharing. But thanks for the support. :)

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13809