PDA

View Full Version : egg?

bullyd
09-07-2005, 01:07 PM
i pulled out the rad this evening and flushed the water system to find what looked like egg white come out, shitloads of it, anyone seen this before? there was about enough to fill a half pint glass and it was the consistancy of wall paper paste only pure white! anyone?

DaCan23
09-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Is there any type of stop leak thats white... perhaps someone added it and never flushed it out.

bullyd
09-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Is there any type of stop leak thats white... perhaps someone added it and never flushed it out.

i dont know but i hope thats all it is!! i know the rad is u/s but hopefully i can flush the rest of the water system clear of this s**t, does anyone know of a chemical i can flush with that wont do any damage to pump etc?

uscharalph
09-07-2005, 01:57 PM
i dont know but i hope thats all it is!! i know the rad is u/s but hopefully i can flush the rest of the water system clear of this s**t, does anyone know of a chemical i can flush with that wont do any damage to pump etc?
I heard that your aluminum radiator does't like chemicals. If I were you I'd pull the radiator to flush. I'ts not that hard, plus you won't be spreading that s**t to the rest of the cooling system.

bullyd
09-07-2005, 02:02 PM
I heard that your aluminum radiator does't like chemicals. If I were you I'd pull the radiator to flush. I'ts not that hard, plus you won't be spreading that s**t to the rest of the cooling system.

the radiator has had it, i got a new one coming tomorrow! ive flushed the rest of the system with water (pressure hose) but no sure if that good enough?

Alexlind123
09-07-2005, 03:07 PM
The white egg looking stuff is probably just what it looks like, egg. I have heard of people cracking eggs into their cooling systems in an attepmt to seal leaks, the thoery is that small bits of egg will clog the holes and "fry" sealing them. It may sound crazy but its true. this also probably means that a PO had had some troubles with a leaking cooling system.

uscharalph
09-07-2005, 03:15 PM
the radiator has had it, i got a new one coming tomorrow! ive flushed the rest of the system with water (pressure hose) but no sure if that good enough?
Which car of yours are we talking about and how long have you had it? If the PO was having cooling problems I'd also replace the radiator cap & thermostat. If you're getting coolant level messages, you might want to replace the level sensor while you're at it.

Did you drain the block? Did you flush the Heater Core?

bullyd
09-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Which car of yours are we talking about and how long have you had it? If the PO was having cooling problems I'd also replace the radiator cap & thermostat. If you're getting coolant level messages, you might want to replace the level sensor while you're at it.

Did you drain the block? Did you flush the Heater Core?
its my e34 i only had it 6 weeks see original thread on cooling prob u posted on it:-

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13802

ive blasted my pressure washer hose down each car hose for about 5 mins each do u think that will do or do i need a chemical? its just i dont want the new rad to get clogged up when shes fitted!
thanx

Dan in NZ
09-07-2005, 04:10 PM
When my car was leaking a while back, a friend advised me to crack an egg in the radiator... I didn't do it of course, but must be one of those old wives tales!

bullyd
09-07-2005, 04:14 PM
When my car was leaking a while back, a friend advised me to crack an egg in the radiator... I didn't do it of course, but must be one of those old wives tales!
seriously????? i was using the egg as a description i never imagined anyone would consider crackin one in a rad?!? what other damage could this have done? anyone?

uscharalph
09-07-2005, 04:25 PM
its my e34 i only had it 6 weeks see original thread on cooling prob u posted on it:-

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13802

ive blasted my pressure washer hose down each car hose for about 5 mins each do u think that will do or do i need a chemical? its just i dont want the new rad to get clogged up when shes fitted!
thanx
Yeah I remember now.

In draining the block, there are 2 (I think) drain plugs.

Since you did overheat I would definately recommed replacing the radiator cap and probably the thermostat and you should be good to go.

bullyd
09-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah I remember now.

In draining the block, there are 2 (I think) drain plugs.

Since you did overheat I would definately recommed replacing the radiator cap and probably the thermostat and you should be good to go.
any idea where?

uscharalph
09-07-2005, 04:33 PM
any idea where?
I'll check the Bentley when I get home.

632 Regal
09-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Clog the screens that filter the water that goes through the heater core? Clog the heater core itself?

seriously????? i was using the egg as a description i never imagined anyone would consider crackin one in a rad?!? what other damage could this have done? anyone?

bullyd
09-07-2005, 04:36 PM
I'll check the Bentley when I get home.
cheers ralph very apprieciated! :D i gotta get me one of those books :p

uscharalph
09-07-2005, 04:40 PM
any idea where?
The Bentley doesn't seem to cover the 520i? Anyway it says the drain plug is towards the rear of the block, on the exhaust side of the engine, below cylinder #6

uscharalph
09-07-2005, 04:42 PM
The Bentley doesn't seem to cover the 520i? Anyway it says the drain plug is towards the rear of the block, on the exhaust side of the engine, below cylinder #6
I had forgot I have the Bentley in scanned pdf form here in the office. The Bentley may be the most imprtant tool we can own.

bullyd
09-07-2005, 04:42 PM
cheers ill have a look