PDA

View Full Version : is any amount of play in the pitman arms acceptable?

Jason
09-07-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm about to order a new set from, my left has more play than the right is that normal? they only have about 44k miles on them.

632 Regal
09-07-2005, 02:55 PM
pitman arms?

BigKriss
09-07-2005, 02:56 PM
i was thinking the same thing, however i rulled out the pitman arm becasue he's getting a set. play is acceptable untill they break however how much play you want depends on how you like the ride.

Hector
09-07-2005, 03:01 PM
stabilizer links last weekend. Also, replaced the center tie rod link while I was at it. The pitman arms didn't have any play but the center tie rod link did. Any kind of play no matter how insignificant it is begs for replacement. I would replace them even though they may be a PITA to replace.

I'm about to order a new set from, my left has more play than the right is that normal? they only have about 44k miles on them.

632 Regal
09-07-2005, 03:28 PM
right, if in question replace them.

Kalevera
09-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Like Jeff, I'm confused as to what "pitman arm" implies in this context. The pitman arm extends from the steering box to the center link and has no bushings or ball joints to wear out (the center link, however, has a bushing and can wear). The Idler arm trails the pitman arm and has a sleeved bushing that can wear out over a long time. Again, it's normally the center link that wears out first.

best, whit

Ted K
09-07-2005, 06:04 PM
How about those two little ones in the rear. Are those pitman arms or dog bones.

632 Regal
09-07-2005, 07:00 PM
you never can tell weather people are simply messing with us or are serious...especially when they dont check back for a long time to post an answer to our questions.

I'm assuming he is talking about that plate that holds the spare down tight in the well...isnt that the pitman arm anyways?

Like Jeff, I'm confused as to what "pitman arm" implies in this context. The pitman arm extends from the steering box to the center link and has no bushings or ball joints to wear out (the center link, however, has a bushing and can wear). The Idler arm trails the pitman arm and has a sleeved bushing that can wear out over a long time. Again, it's normally the center link that wears out first.

best, whit

liquidtiger720
09-07-2005, 07:07 PM
How about those two little ones in the rear. Are those pitman arms or dog bones.
My BMA bill lists those at pitman arms

Jeff N.
09-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Pitman arms are the two support arms that connect the center link to the frame.

Bill R.
09-07-2005, 10:07 PM
thing that we think of as dogbones on the rear suspension. On the front suspension there is 1 pittman arm connected to the steering box, the one on the other side is considered the idler armhttp://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/pittman%20arm.jpg

jhsmd666
09-07-2005, 10:18 PM

Aren't there two types of "Pitman arms" - those that connect the rear trailing arms to the subframe ("dogbones") and the arm that connects between the steering gearbox and the center link?

Kalevera
09-07-2005, 10:44 PM
thing that we think of as dogbones on the rear suspension. On the front suspension there is 1 pittman arm connected to the steering box, the one on the other side is considered the idler armhttp://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/pittman%20arm.jpg
Exactly! New ETK!

best, whit

BigKriss
09-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Aren't there two types of "Pitman arms" - those that connect the rear trailing arms to the subframe ("dogbones") and the arm that connects between the steering gearbox and the center link?

true, however there is only one pitman arm at the front, and a set (or two and the rear), one for each side.

The original question should have stated front or rear, I assumed the rear.

Jason
09-08-2005, 06:36 AM
The one under the steering box with the bushing. Or at least thats what i think its called now...

Jason
09-08-2005, 06:38 AM
so when i post something at the end of the day, i usually can't check it till the next morning.

Jason
09-08-2005, 06:45 AM
It is the one with the bushing and it seems to have some play, not sure how much is tolerable. But i guess i want to err on the side of caution and replace. I just thought it was odd that they deteriorated so quickly compared to the other components that (i thought) might see more stress.

mattyb
09-08-2005, 08:01 AM
they are dog bones, correct me if im wrong but on any car the pitman arm is specific to the link off the steering

Bill R.
09-08-2005, 08:22 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/pittman%20arm1.jpg
they are dog bones, correct me if im wrong but on any car the pitman arm is specific to the link off the steering

BigKriss
09-08-2005, 08:32 AM
It is the one with the bushing and it seems to have some play, not sure how much is tolerable. But i guess i want to err on the side of caution and replace. I just thought it was odd that they deteriorated so quickly compared to the other components that (i thought) might see more stress.

I'm under the impression the pitman arm at the front suffers from no wear becasue the ball joint wears out on the center tie rod where it meets up with the center tie rod.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12855

Bill R.
09-08-2005, 08:40 AM
I'm under the impression the pitman arm at the front suffers from no wear becasue the ball joint wears out on the center tie rod where it meets up with the center tie rod.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12855

Jeff N.
09-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I thought he was checking his front suspension and referring to the idler/pittman combo.