PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Brakes

GaryE
09-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi,

I replaced all 4 discs and pads with new about 6 weeks ago.
Both front pads are squeaking and I also suspect the rears also, yet haven't confirmed this. If I apply more pressure on the pedal the squeal goes away. If I am light braking into a slow stop they are making an almost unbearable high pitch squeal.

The pads are pagid's and my bedding process was simply 300miles of 'light' braking.

Have I ****ed them? I suspect I have been too heavy footed whilst bedding, or not allowed enough time for the pads to cool down between braking?

Is there anything I can do apart from replace them?

Cheers
Gary

Bill R.
09-07-2005, 10:30 AM
A. replace them with ceramic pads such as the raybestos QS
B. Take them off , Clean all sliding surfaces on the calipers and back side of pads, coat the back side of pads with a antisqueal compound and lightly coat the areas that the pad slides on on the caliper with antiseize compound which is intended also as a squeal eliminator. Lubromoly lm508 antiseize is what i use on the areas that the pad slides on. metal to metal.
This may or may not help, BG products also makes a squeal reducer that applies directly to the brake pad surface itself which is unusual , seems to work for a couple of months...
C. replace them with ceramic pads such as the raybestos QS and forget about noise

Hi,

I replaced all 4 discs and pads with new about 6 weeks ago.
Both front pads are squeaking and I also suspect the rears also, yet haven't confirmed this. If I apply more pressure on the pedal the squeal goes away. If I am light braking into a slow stop they are making an almost unbearable high pitch squeal.

The pads are pagid's and my bedding process was simply 300miles of 'light' braking.

Have I ****ed them? I suspect I have been too heavy footed whilst bedding, or not allowed enough time for the pads to cool down between braking?

Is there anything I can do apart from replace them?

Cheers
Gary

Russell
09-07-2005, 11:16 AM
I love the Qs pads. No squeal. I need to replace rear pads with QS pads. The rears now produce more dust than the fronts LOL>

nuwde
09-07-2005, 03:18 PM
i have raybestos qs and my brakes squeal loud. my mechanic says it's because i have cross drilled rotors and there's nothing to do about it except replace the rotors.

Bill R.
09-07-2005, 03:39 PM
they only had the pbr organics for about half as much as the raybesto's and you decided to go with them instead and i thought you used the ATE power rotors rather than crossdrilled rotors? The ATE rotors were also from bma.

i have raybestos qs and my brakes squeal loud. my mechanic says it's because i have cross drilled rotors and there's nothing to do about it except replace the rotors.

uscharalph
09-07-2005, 03:52 PM
they only had the pbr organics for about half as much as the raybesto's and you decided to go with them instead and i thought you used the ATE power rotors rather than crossdrilled rotors? The ATE rotors were also from bma.
Besides the obvious, I just figured out nuwde's nickname. It's his name (Edwin) spelled backwards and sustitute the u for the i. Everyone else probably knows this, but I can't help it when the lightbulb finally goes on.

Kalevera
09-07-2005, 05:49 PM
After I started listening to Bill, I've installed Raybestos QS on everything I can. Excellent results.

Last time I looked into it, Patrick didn't know what Raybestos QS fictions were....?!

best, whit

best, whit

nuwde
09-07-2005, 06:30 PM

wtf, you have a really good memory. i think you're right. but my mechanic said my rotors are cross drilled???

well if that's the case, maybe i'll bring my car back and see if he can do anything about it.

nuwde
09-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Besides the obvious, I just figured out nuwde's nickname. It's his name (Edwin) spelled backwards and sustitute the u for the i. Everyone else probably knows this, but I can't help it when the lightbulb finally goes on.

yes. i chose to spell it with a U because it sounds more like nude and one of my nicknames in hs was naked boy.

632 Regal
09-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Hey Edwin, all you have to do is look at the rotors and see if theres holes in them, holes=cross drilled.

mbogosia
09-07-2005, 07:41 PM
I installed PBR Organics about 3 months ago and have been squealing ever since. I can't take it anymore. I will probably buy some new rotors and Raybestos in the next couple of weeks.

nuwde
09-07-2005, 09:51 PM
yeah, it's a real pain in the ear.

but my friends and i always get a nice laugh when i'm squealing to the red light. everyone knows when the king is coming.

Bill R.
09-08-2005, 12:00 AM
akebono ceramic pro act.. These seem to be better than the qs .. no dust better stopping etc... Unfortunately none of them offer a lifetime warranty anymore, akebono is 1 year, raybesto's 1 year. Here's a link to more info on akebono
(http://www.akebonobrakes.com/aftermarket/proact/ceramic_disc_pads/pdf/proact_brochure.pdf)

After I started listening to Bill, I've installed Raybestos QS on everything I can. Excellent results.

Last time I looked into it, Patrick didn't know what Raybestos QS fictions were....?!

best, whit

best, whit

GaryE
09-08-2005, 07:03 AM
Cheers Bill.

Ceramic pads seem like the way forward. I just priced up some Raybestos QS sent to the UK, $130 + $100 shipping for all pads.

Done a quick search for ceramic braking in UK, and come up with some EBC Red Stuff Ceramic, I'm going to search for some more, but these are pricing in at about £60-£80 for all pads.

I've seen EBC spammed all over tuning magazines that you get over here, always thought they would be over priced rubbish - but might be worth giving them a go. Ideally i'd like to see a set of Raybestos QS on the car, as they sound like the business! (or not as it were)

Gary

A. replace them with ceramic pads such as the raybestos QS
B. Take them off , Clean all sliding surfaces on the calipers and back side of pads, coat the back side of pads with a antisqueal compound and lightly coat the areas that the pad slides on on the caliper with antiseize compound which is intended also as a squeal eliminator. Lubromoly lm508 antiseize is what i use on the areas that the pad slides on. metal to metal.
This may or may not help, BG products also makes a squeal reducer that applies directly to the brake pad surface itself which is unusual , seems to work for a couple of months...
C. replace them with ceramic pads such as the raybestos QS and forget about noise