PDA

View Full Version : E34 Cruise

bemdblu
02-29-2004, 07:13 AM
cruise control 530i v8 '95 not working
any ideas?? jack perth western australia

Mike
02-29-2004, 07:43 AM
In the United States the cruise control had a safety recall. Check with your nearest BMW service center. Not sure if it applies on your continent, but its worth a try. Look here (http://www.alldata.com/TSB/06/95066426.html) for more info.

guyer
02-29-2004, 10:19 AM
I've got a '94 and the cruise doesn't work. I've read about the safety recall in other forums but I don't think my problem is related. The cruise simply doesn't work at all. I've checked the fuse but of course it couldn't be that easy. I've also asked my mechanic (friend) and he said he hasn't seen any e34 with cruise problems. I really need cruise! I'm on the road all the time!

winfred
02-29-2004, 10:29 AM
out of all of those tsb's i didn't see anything about loose oil pump bolts on the v8's, i've seen em completely fall out, red locktight em in

In the United States the cruise control had a safety recall. Check with your nearest BMW service center. Not sure if it applies on your continent, but its worth a try. Look here (http://www.alldata.com/TSB/06/95066426.html) for more info.

gordon
02-29-2004, 01:00 PM
manual or auto...

if manual, lift up on your clutch with your toe underneath....then try the cruise... do the same with the brake...worth a try

guyer
02-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Do you think there is a computer module that is for cruise only? 'Cause cruise is the only thing that doesn't work.

sbcncsu
02-29-2004, 05:50 PM
The rheostat tells the cruise control unit where the throttle is. On my 95 525iA, this rheostat would get dirty and carbonized and the cruise would stop working. On two occasions I removed the cruise control servo from the inner fender well, disconnected the throttle cable from the throttle body and put the unit on my bench. If you remove the cover from the cruise unit, (6-8 flat head screws), you can see how the mechanism works. It is a little tricky getting it apart and back together because the cable is attached to a short rubber belt that wraps around a spring-loaded spool (this is what pulls the cable) and you have to get that spring rewound and to put it all together.

Once you get the cover off, you will see the contact points that need cleaning. Some Stabilant would probably be a good idea on the contact strips.

It isn't too bad, just take your time. I wish I had taken pictures when I had the chance...

HTH,

guyer
02-29-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the in-depth reply. To your recollection, is this cc servo under the brake booster right behind the driver's side high beam? Looks pretty difficult to remove.

Also, should the throttle cable that connects to it follow the primary throttle movement all the time or only when the cc is engaged? It doesn't so I think that may be part of the problem.

Aussie Jack -- Have you had any luck?

sbcncsu
02-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the in-depth reply. To your recollection, is this cc servo under the brake booster right behind the driver's side high beam? Looks pretty difficult to remove.

Also, should the throttle cable that connects to it follow the primary throttle movement all the time or only when the cc is engaged? It doesn't so I think that may be part of the problem.

Aussie Jack -- Have you had any luck?

On the 525iA it was really easy to remove, driver's side, in front of the shock tower. I am not sure about the 540.

I don't think the cable moves until the CC is engaged. If I recall correctly, there is a long metal rod at the end of the cc cable that slides along the throttle linkage when CC is not engaged.

AA540
02-29-2004, 10:53 PM
A faulty brake switch will cause cruise to fail as well.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Electrical/brake_switch.htm