PDA

View Full Version : A/C fan blower woes....

JD525IA
09-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Now I know what you guys are going to say right off the bat - check the sword or resistor pack.

I wish that would do it. What has happened a few times in the last couple of weeks seems simple to fix. I admit it - I need help!

Here's the skinny - During the morning comute, the temp outside is about 85 degrees and the fan is not needed. During the ride home, it's closer to 110 degrees (Phoenix, AZ). I have had an intermittant problem whereby the fan does not work on any setting. It only happens during the hottest part of the day (of course), like when its time to go home from work.

A few times, I could just tap or hit the top of the console or dash and it would start working. Sounds like something loose, right? Or maybe a connector has come partially off.

Yesterday, I got in the car and it was about 109 at 4:30 pm. I hit the dashboard on top and nothing. Then the side, then the front. After much cursing and ranting, I just gave up and went home with the windows open.

A 45 minute drive in 110 degree heat and bumper to bumper traffic sucks. I was nice and sweaty when I got home and was forced to slam a couple of cold beers.

I spent a few hours in the garage checking everything I could think of after reading years of posts on this forum about fan problems. I tried checking the fuses, the fan relay, and the contacts of the control panel.

I studied the electrical schematic and rung out the wiring with a meter. I checked the resistance of the resistor pack (91 525 - no sword) and it seemed to be ok. The electrical schematic does show an overtemp cutoff in the pack but it was not hot and the circuit was closed at the time of examination.

I searched the forum again and found one post a while back whereby a guy fixed the same problem by putting in a new resistor pack. If mine works most of the time and the pack seems to be good, then what should I look at next?

Any ideas? Mucho appreciado, por favoradado!

ryan roopnarine
09-07-2005, 08:39 AM
try driving over a speedbump a a decent clip and see if it comes back on. the fact that your hitting it restarts it indicates to me that the blower is dead/dying, and you will have to replace it soon.

Bill R.
09-07-2005, 08:52 AM
talking about on the resistor pack, but if you look at the diagram again you'll see that high speed doesn't go through the resistor pack at all. So you should have high speed.. It indicates that the power comes from the power dist. box then thru the blower relay, from there through fuse 19 then into the blower speed switch and if its on high straight from the blower speed switch to the blower motor. As Ryan mentioned i'd look at the blower motor itself for the switch itself on the dash, since high should bypass the resistor pack anyway. First thing I would jumper across the blower relay to eliminatee that possibility and check fuse 19 and even swap fuses to check that too.

Now I know what you guys are going to say right off the bat - check the sword or resistor pack.

I wish that would do it. What has happened a few times in the last couple of weeks seems simple to fix. I admit it - I need help!

Here's the skinny - During the morning comute, the temp outside is about 85 degrees and the fan is not needed. During the ride home, it's closer to 110 degrees (Phoenix, AZ). I have had an intermittant problem whereby the fan does not work on any setting. It only happens during the hottest part of the day (of course), like when its time to go home from work.

A few times, I could just tap or hit the top of the console or dash and it would start working. Sounds like something loose, right? Or maybe a connector has come partially off.

Yesterday, I got in the car and it was about 109 at 4:30 pm. I hit the dashboard on top and nothing. Then the side, then the front. After much cursing and ranting, I just gave up and went home with the windows open.

A 45 minute drive in 110 degree heat and bumper to bumper traffic sucks. I was nice and sweaty when I got home and was forced to slam a couple of cold beers.

I spent a few hours in the garage checking everything I could think of after reading years of posts on this forum about fan problems. I tried checking the fuses, the fan relay, and the contacts of the control panel.

I studied the electrical schematic and rung out the wiring with a meter. I checked the resistance of the resistor pack (91 525 - no sword) and it seemed to be ok. The electrical schematic does show an overtemp cutoff in the pack but it was not hot and the circuit was closed at the time of examination.

I searched the forum again and found one post a while back whereby a guy fixed the same problem by putting in a new resistor pack. If mine works most of the time and the pack seems to be good, then what should I look at next?

Any ideas? Mucho appreciado, por favoradado!

JD525IA
09-07-2005, 09:41 AM
:)

talking about on the resistor pack, but if you look at the diagram again you'll see that high speed doesn't go through the resistor pack at all. So you should have high speed.. It indicates that the power comes from the power dist. box then thru the blower relay, from there through fuse 19 then into the blower speed switch and if its on high straight from the blower speed switch to the blower motor. As Ryan mentioned i'd look at the blower motor itself for the switch itself on the dash, since high should bypass the resistor pack anyway. First thing I would jumper across the blower relay to eliminatee that possibility and check fuse 19 and even swap fuses to check that too.