PDA

View Full Version : Oil for the transmission

t_marat
09-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi!
Which oil type would you recommend for the mechanical transmission of 1994 520 (m50)? I heard someone saying I should use the oil which is for the automatic transmission. Is he correct?

Another problem. I have a strange sound, like something is rubbing against something, whenever I brake. Sound is coming from the front left side, I think. This is not a screeching sound, that comes out when the brake pads are worn out.
The same (I think) sound comes out when making turns. Whats that? Any idea at were I should look?
Thanks.

SRR2
09-07-2005, 05:47 AM
Early in my 535's life I switched the transmission (mechanical = "manual"?) to RedLine MTL. It worked great in all environments, including the dead of winter, when the synchronizers worked like it was summer.

One common problem involving rubbing sounds from the front wheel area was rubbing of the sheet metal shield behind the calipers, and it happened while turning usually. It just needs to be pulled back a little. Of course, the problem you're experiencing could easily be something else.

t_marat
09-08-2005, 01:57 AM
What about oils from Mobil or Castrol? There is no way I can buy Redline oils.