PDA

View Full Version : serious cooling probs, does anyone know if another model rad will fit??

bullyd
09-06-2005, 02:53 PM
heeeeeeeeelllllpp!! in my previous thread i was grinning from ear to ear coz of the install i had completed, only prob i had was not enough power in my battery! well boy has that had a greater effect than i could ever have imagined, let me set the scene, i come home from work and meet a mate bout a hundred yards from home so i wave him to pull over and tell him to come to mine to have a look at the install, i park on my drive and let her pump, stupidly (thought id learnt the first time) i let the battery die! so out comes the jumper pack and i fire her into life say my goodbyes to my mate and put the kettle on, missus has done dinner, so i settle down in front of the box, dinner on lap, gets to about 7 oclock and time to crack open a beer!

notice anything yet.......
u got it , cars still running on the drive! i go outside and there is steam everywhere! i open the car door and steam bellows out of the interior!
ive cooked it i look at temp guage and shes right in the red, my mind starts going into overdrive! ??head gasket??head?? ive done it this time!! i put the fans on full open all the doors and pop the bonnet (hood) lift her up to be greeted by a not so reassuring cloud of steam, water is spitting out of the sides of the rad cap, i let her cool down and go about assessing the damage,
i take out the thermostat(just to make it easy to bleed i will replace when fixed),bypass the heater matrix(as the inside had filled with steam iwas pretty sure it had popped) filled with coolant bled it and run it up, the temp guage goes into the red! damn, i look in the oil no cream, no oil in the water, no excessive steam from the exhaust, my assumption is head + gasket OK!
please feel free to correct me if im wrong in my assumption? so i go about looking what is causing the over heating, the top hose to the rad is really hot and under a lot of pressure (hard) but the bottom hose is soft and cold which means a bockage in the rad right? so, to my question, does anyone know which rads fit the e34 m20 manual cars? do i need to buy the right one or will other models fit? thanks in advance

uscharalph
09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I replaced my original radiator with a Nissens from Denmark. Exact fit; no problems at all since install a few months ago. I got the one that fit my cars on eBay for $179.50 shipped, no tax.