PDA

View Full Version : Question about shifting

mbogosia
09-06-2005, 05:03 AM
I recently found out that if I drive with my auto in 3rd instead of Drive or manual
(which just keeps it in 3rd) it holds 1st and 2nd longer. I do a lot of back road driving so it works out great. I just got chipped so the car is much faster also. Anyone else experience this?

mzarifkar
09-06-2005, 05:21 AM
in the 3rd gear, the car is in sport mode, shifts are later. not sure if it does anything else besides that

pundit
09-06-2005, 06:38 AM
I recently found out that if I drive with my auto in 3rd instead of Drive or manual
(which just keeps it in 3rd) it holds 1st and 2nd longer. I do a lot of back road driving so it works out great. I just got chipped so the car is much faster also. Anyone else experience this?
Does your trans have a 'sports' mode? I use mine ocassionally just to make sure it still works. :p

Just realised you have a '95 model 525, so it definately has a 'sports mode'.
Mines the older ZF4HP22 trans.

Manual mode is only for starting off on very slippery roads, ice, snow, mud etc.
Some other manufacturers use a 'snowflake' icon to identify manual mode.
Manual mode reduces the likelyhood of excessive wheel spin that may be caused by starting in 'D'. It should only ever be used if traction from a standing start is a problem. Excessive use may causes trans damage.

Alexlind123
09-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Mine has sport mode, activated when in A on the switch and in gear 3.

Randell
09-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Excessive use may causes trans damage.

i've heard this before but i don't understand why.. what is wrong with using manual mode to hold a gear or restricting upshift by putting the stick in 1, 2 or 3?

uscharalph
09-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Mine doesn't have a sport mode switch. I wonder if this works on mine. Anyone else out there like this?

Kalevera
09-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Randell,

"Manual" mode effectively locks the transmission in the selected gear. What this means is, if in MD/M3/M2, the car will effectively start from standstill in that gear, which does a lot of wear and tear on the transmission.

Manual mode was designed to allow people who need to...crawl...through traffic or...climb a hill...keep a certain gear. People get confused by the name, and the manual is of no help in explaining it.

"S"port mode is just about the most performance you can get out of the 4hp-22eh.

best, whit

Kalevera
09-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Ralph, your car has a non-electrically controlled 4hp-22. All 535s, later 525s, and all V8 E34s have electrically controlled transmissions, meaning that fluid pressure can be altered by a few solenoids, thereby allowing "programmability".

I have seen "sport" mode listed on the gear shift of an autoboxed 325e (presumably, 3rd gear and no O/D, nothing more, no change in shift points), which has the same rendition of the 4hp as your car has.

best, whit

uscharalph
09-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Thanks Whit.

Do you know if my tranny will behave differently in the "3" position as opposed to the "D" position. Nothing ever appears in the "2" box on the instrument cluster (See picture below).

Kalevera
09-06-2005, 06:31 PM
#2 is where the program mode would be indicated, if it were plausible.

best, whit

liquidtiger720
09-06-2005, 06:35 PM
# 2 would show a S if you are in Economy mode and not in drive (4,3,2,). For me, sports mode is S3. I love it, but rarely use it.

uscharalph
09-06-2005, 07:30 PM
#2 is where the program mode would be indicated, if it were plausible.

best, whit
Thanks. My brother and I were kind of wondering about this stuff, when we were going through my owner's manual. The manual is not to specific about my actual transmission.