PDA

View Full Version : Strange column stalk behaviour

Jay 535i
09-05-2005, 09:17 PM
This is a little thing that I've let slide for a while, but now I want to fix it. It's kinda hard to explain, so bear with me. :)

My car is Canadian, which means that the headlights are on even with the headlight switch set to 'off'. I'm talking about the switch to the left of the steering wheel (dunno if it's different on RHD cars).

So, flipping this switch to 'on' does nothing -- the lights were already on. The switch's middle position is for the parking lights, which does turn off my headlights while keeping the amber corner lights lit.

On the right side of the steering wheel is the foglight switch. Switching it to the 'on' position will turn on the foglights only if the switch on the other side of the steering wheel is also set to 'on'. Even though the headlights are on regardless, this is the only way to get the foglights to come on.

When the foglights are on and I indicate left, the high beams come on. They go off if I put the slightest pressure on the back of the left-hand stalk. The same doesn't happen when indicating right.

When the heck is going on here, and how do I fix it? As it is, I can't use the foglights without blinding oncoming traffic every time I turn left!

Paul in NZ
09-06-2005, 02:26 AM
wow........no idea..the foglight operation is normal,my foglights come on only if the headlights or parking lights are already on....

632 Regal
09-06-2005, 02:44 AM
the left stalk on a US car controls the high beams when you pull for temp or push for "on". Can you make sure that your talking only low beams problem or high beams, I think you may have some problem here.

Jay 535i
09-06-2005, 10:10 AM
the left stalk on a US car controls the high beams when you pull for temp or push for "on". Can you make sure that your talking only low beams problem or high beams, I think you may have some problem here.

Yeah, that's correct. The high beams come on temporarily if I pull, and permanently if I push, but they also come on when I indicate left. That's the problem.