PDA

View Full Version : Amp blowing fuses

Craig in Davis
09-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Ok, I have had the drivers door panel off to work on the panel and the passenger kick panel off to ground pin 33 of the tcu connection. As best I know the radio worked properly when I got the car but never used it for any length of time. It blew the amp fuse and I blamed my working on the kick panel area. Replaced fuse and appeared to be fine but only tested for a minute or two. Was working on drivers door panel and radio quit. Figured I'd done something with the tweeter wiring and didn't worry about it. Well now the tweeter is back in the door panel and kick panel are together, all speaker wires attached and look fine. However, the amp fuse still keeps blowing.

I decided to disconnect the front speakers to see what would happen. Rears worked fine. Hooked up the fronts one at a time and all is well. Put radio back into dash. Turn on radio and here amp fuse blow. Pull radio out disconnect front speakers and try again. Blow fuse. Disconnect all speakers, turn on radio blow fuse. At this point I am pissed off and frustrated so came inside to cool down and to look over the wiring diagram.

Anyone want to help with problem solving? I have a meter to test ohms, volts, etc but not really sure where to start. I am running low on fuses now so hopefully someone will help me out.

Craig in Davis
09-05-2005, 06:33 PM
I followed Javier' test procedure outlined below and all tested ok. I suspect that means the amp is bad but don't really know for sure. Since it works sometimes and blows fuses most of the time maybe it is a bad solder joint.

As for wiring, I suppose you have a 10 component speaker system, if my info is correct, you have two 12 pins plugs in the amplifier, one white (X606) and one black (X605, pin 4 is unused). If so, this is the pin assignment for the incoming and outgoing signals at the amplifier:

Front Left input: X606-11

Front Right input: X606-6

Rear Left input: X606-12

Rear Right input: X606-5

Left common: X606-10

Right common: X606-4

Front Left High Range spkr: X605-1
Front Left Medium Range spkr: X606-7
Front Left Low range spkr: X606-1
Front Left spkr common: X606-2

Front Right High Range spkr: X605-8
Front Right Medium Range spkr: X605-6
Front Right Low range spkr: X605-12
Front Right spkr common: X605-5

Rear Left High Range spkr: X605-7
Rear Left Low range spkr: X606-8
Rear Left spkr common: X606-3

Rear Right High Range spkr: X605-9
Rear Right Low range spkr: X605-11
Rear Right spkr common: X605-10

I would check, with amplifier plugs unplugged, using a Vac meter, or a high impedance headphone, that there is incoming signal at X606-5/6/11/12 all referenced to ground (or X606-4/10). This will confirm there is signal arriving to the amplifier. You can also check continuity at each speaker, or connect a portable radio to the different speakers to confirm they are working OK (Doubt the problem is there. Continuity check would be easier).

I would also check for 12 Vdc at X605-2 to X605-3. Also check with radio on and off, the voltage to ground at X606-9, it should go up to 12 Vdc when radio is turned on. Check also that all connections are clean.

If all is OK, then I would open the amplifier looking for evidence of loose connections or damage.

Javier

uscharalph
09-05-2005, 08:13 PM
I followed Javier' test procedure outlined below and all tested ok. I suspect that means the amp is bad but don't really know for sure. Since it works sometimes and blows fuses most of the time maybe it is a bad solder joint.
Good information!