PDA

View Full Version : So Ryan....how's the new EAT chip performing???

Brian C.
02-28-2004, 04:06 PM
I'm guessing that you finally got it installed correctly and have now had a few days to "feel" if there's a difference. What do you think? A bit more "skippy" than before?

Brian C.

ryan roopnarine
02-28-2004, 04:33 PM
squealing of tires when i want it, the sound of crap moving around in the car because of the extra bit of pep.....looks like i might be able to take friend's 98 nissan maxima, or at least keep up with it.... decent upgrade, at least i know the thing's over 200hp now...

in case anyone else is reading this w, unchipped 525i (the m50 kind), here are some fuel numbers.....mpg computed by hitting MPG reset at a stop, not when its moving

all runs wihtout a/c , in E mode for 92 525i auto, sans variable-
Nockenwellensteuerung

a 8.2 mile highway trip, of which 3/4 miles are in the city (to and from the onramp) at a quick speed of 85 mph, no headlights

before: 19.1
after chip: 20.8

a 8.2 mile highway trip, of which 3/4 miles are in the city (to and from the onramp) at a slow constant speed of 57 mph, no headlights

before: 23.1
after chip: 24.4

a 6.3 mile city trip, with highbeam headlights, somewhat constant speed

before: 21.0
after : approx 23

a 3.2 mile city trip in significant stop and go traffic, headlights on:

before : 16.5
after: roughly 17.2

at this time, i decided to see what i was dealing with as far as octane selection was concerned, as i know my car has no knock sensor (like the 93 on does) and a 10-1 CR, however, the engine put back into my car had fewer than 50k miles on it, and doesn't normally ping with 87 gas, so i've taken that i have very little carbon crap/wear to cause pre-detonation.

mixing approximately 2 gal of 93 gas with 2.2 gal of 87 (the small amt so that if major league pinging started, i could flush it out quickly), temp is approximately 60 F no major expansion in volume expected, min temp at fill up was about 47 F

general @sshole driving speed, windsprints from 0-60-85 to 45 when i get back into the city limits, highbeams, heat, radio and cd changer on

before on 87: 17.1
now on mix, chipped: 17.7

3 mile city windsprints 0-60 in light city traffic, 4. 6 miles (spd limit 45...)
same electricals on before

before on 87: 17.6
mixture, chipped: 18.1

im trying to see if i can rig a pair of headphones into the engine compartment and see if i can detect pinging when i finally flush the mix out, as i have no knock sensor...but on the mix, i couldn't hear any ping...was hoping that i could take the car to gator speedway and do runs with the chip in and out of the car.....but dan tells me they won't be open till end of march, so i'll have to use the beautiful city of bithlow's (where idiotic stuff like skool bus races are held) track to see what the gain is.... got to go retrieve sis from FSU for spring break on friday, might try 100 miles or so on straight 87 and see what it does.

Brian C.
02-28-2004, 08:13 PM
.....Oh horror of horrors! There's always one in every family I guess. :D

A chip is a great upgrade for the bucks, huh!?

Brian C.

ryan roopnarine
02-28-2004, 08:24 PM
i already told you that i had to go to tallahoochie that day you were going to pick up a skull from pound lab....wasn't standing you up :^)

and yeah, it won't pay for itself in a week, but if you drive judiciously, 12-18 month pay off is not inconceivable....good deal, especially since mark was kind enough to supply this one for free...

.....Oh horror of horrors! There's always one in every family I guess. :D

A chip is a great upgrade for the bucks, huh!?

Brian C.