PDA

View Full Version : New Thread Managers are set up. Let the Archiving begin!

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Suspension & Steering - billb
Wheels, Tires & Brakes - pyro
Engine & Drivetrain - dacoyote
Body & Interior - mattyb
Electronics & Lights plus A/C - 93-525i
Miscellaneous Bimmer Nuggets - Gayle
Jokes Archive - liquidtiger720

Everyone above can "manage threads". They can not edit threads or delete them, but they can move them to the Archive Boards. I've also added Bill R., just because he's such a great contributor, and frankly I'd give him the shirt off my back for everything he's done for this board. Winfred, I'll do the same for you if you're interested (shirt off back or moderation capability!).

Anyway, Bill R. you're very right about questioning the accuracy of solutions in the posts that we archive. But I think the board will moderate itself in that respect also. Bad information in the archives can be "called out" and corrected, over time. I think this is a good start. Thanks everybody for all your help and participation.

I just now set this up, so if anyone has problems, please let me know. All you new thread managers have to do is:

1) Click on a Thread.
2) Click on Thread Tools
3) Click on Move/Copy Thread
4) Choose Perform Action
5) Choose the correct Destination Forum
6) leave the default "Move thread and leave redirect in previous forum"
7) Click on Move / Copy Thread

It's easier than described.

Thanks all.

pyro
09-04-2005, 09:15 PM
sounds like a plan!!!

dacoyote
09-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Cool beans, I will start working on this monday night in the hotel.

-Charles

Gayle
09-04-2005, 10:15 PM
Maybe you have favorites. I know I have a ton of threads bookmarked in my brouser. Let us know if there was one you found particularly helpful.

As a newbie, I would especially welcome suggestions for the "nuggets" area. For starters I am mainly collecting threads that let us know who we are as a community. I realize some of it will get stale and out of date. When that happens it will be time to run some those threads again.

I plan to take broad license to the definition of what a nugget is and consider my area of the archives to be the "other" category. Anything you think is great and doesn't neatly fit in one of the other seven categories, let me know and I'll consider it.

Ed--Still think you need an area for all the most common problems newbies face like lkm, lock synchronization, etc. Still think Josh (Liquid Tiger) should manage it.

Also think the link to the archives could be a little more PROMINENT.

winfred
09-04-2005, 10:20 PM
nah i am cool that way it doesn't require brain activity to surf, lately if it looks like it's being taken care of i stay out of the way, guess that's how jeff got 2k posts ahead of me :D

Winfred, I'll do the same for you if you're interested (shirt off back or moderation capability!)

liquidtiger720
09-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Ed--Still think you need an area for all the most common problems newbies face like lkm, lock synchronization, etc. Still think Josh (Liquid Tiger) should manage it.

Hmm. I really dunno about that one. I'm not too "in the know" about cars. Maybe whit lowell could do it?

BTW- For jokes, how long do you guys want em to stay up before I archive them?

winfred
09-04-2005, 10:32 PM
id think the current way i've been doing them by month should define that and make them easy to find with all of the *******xxxxxxx******** crap i started putting on them, not sure about the stuff that gets posted outside of that thread

BTW- For jokes, how long do you guys want em to stay up before I archive them?

liquidtiger720
09-04-2005, 10:40 PM
id think the current way i've been doing them by month should define that and make them easy to find with all of the *******xxxxxxx******** crap i started putting on them, not sure about the stuff that gets posted outside of that thread

Exactly what I thought. - I just moved the august one away.

Outside of that, its going to be sketcy. I need to visit off topic more! :D

winfred
09-04-2005, 10:48 PM
the monthly joke thread lands here with most of the weird crap in OT

Gayle
09-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Hmm. I really dunno about that one. I'm not too "in the know" about cars. Maybe whit lowell could do it?

Josh--excellent suggestion. Whit has the patience of a saint with new people. He probably already knows the good threads for noobie issues.

Gayle
09-04-2005, 11:26 PM
If you access the nuggets area from this link, you can see everything I have moved there.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/archive/index.php/

If you access from this link, it only shows part of the threads.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Gayle
09-04-2005, 11:34 PM
In your search for threads related to your content areas, I would suggest you peruse the list of threads started by shogun. They are full of high quality links and as he is not a "bs"er like many of the rest of us, his threads are meaty and to the point.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/search.php?searchid=111400

Gayle
09-05-2005, 12:26 AM
If you access the nuggets area from this link, you can see everything I have moved there.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/archive/index.php/

If you access from this link, it only shows part of the threads.

I think I figured it out. The second link seems to have a one month limit on it so only the recent threads show, which sort of defeats the point of an archive. The second link is better in that it retains the pictures. The pictures are the reason that selected many of these threads. Could you please fix the date restriction default setting? Thanks.

pyro
09-05-2005, 01:32 AM
Quick question when you archive a thread does it move it completely or copy it? and how old should it be to be archived. I wouldn't wnata archive something that someone is still posting or wanting to post in. (i hope that makes sense)

Gayle
09-05-2005, 06:51 AM
Quick question when you archive a thread does it move it completely or copy it? and how old should it be to be archived. I wouldn't wnata archive something that someone is still posting or wanting to post in. (i hope that makes sense)

Here is what I have learned about the administrative thread tools and what has not worked in addressing your question.

What I discovered is you can "move it and leave a redirect" (which is what Ed told us to do), a "just plain move" option, and "just plain copy" option. With the redirect people can find it and continue to post to it. I think you have to use the "close thread" option to totally shut it down to further posts.

There was a very recent thread (the one on abbrevaiations) that I wanted to put in my area but I didn't think interest in posting to that thread was over. I also didn't think people would bother with the redirect for that topic and continue to post to it so I succumbed to the always strong desire to ignore the instructions. I tried the "copy" command thinking it would copy it and leave it where it was. The software doesn't like that command. It hiccups and gives an error message (tried it twice). However it turns out it did copy it so I now have two copies of the abbrevaition thread in my area of the archives and the thread tools with the delete option won't come up with that thread. My advice is don't try "just copy" to try to have the thread be current and archive it too.

Here is what I am thinking in general on the how long to wait before archiving. After a month, threads drop out of the browse section and you can only find them by doing a search. Moving them from an uncategorized archive to a categorized archive is not going to reduce the liklihood of people posting to them, so anything older than a month is probably--don't worry about moving it. I am thinking less than two weeks old is a bit premature, hence my issues with the abbreviation thread I tried to copy.

Two weeks to a month--not sure. This seems like a pretty short attention span crowd. I know that when I started on this board, I read the entire browse section front to back, all 27 pages of threads. Took an entire week. I doubt that others take that approach. I would guess if it is deeper in than page 10, it would probably not be a problem to move it using the option that leaves the redirect.

I am finding the thread tools to be a bit quirky. The thread tools don't give you all the options on some threads depending on where the thread is. If you run into any problems and subsequent solutions, please share. Another thing I discovered it the threads stack in the area based on original post date and can't be arranged.

Happy archiving. It is fun.

Mitch90535im
09-05-2005, 07:14 AM
I think the thread from a while back where I was overheating after a flush and fill would be a good one. After spending beeding and topping off 50 times and throwing good money at a fan clutch, thermostant, and waterpump, the problem was corrected by a suggestion from Winfred, "Maybe the pisser line is clogged".

SRR2
09-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Pictures... One of the problems with archiving old threads on ALL boards is with old posts with linked pictures. What often .. more often than not, actually .. happens is that the text of the post remains, but the linked pictures are taken down from whatever server they happen to be sitting on. For instance, lots of people use tinypic.com for hosting pictures, but there's nothing at tinypic that guarantees availability or longevity. I can't tell you how many times I've Googled for something, came up with posts on Roadfly or wherever, and found that every damn link from the post to external resources was dead, making the post essentially useless.

Therefore, I strongly encourage the archivists to copy linked pictures (and maybe other resources referenced if appropriate) over to the bimmer.info server and change the links to point to the "permanent" pictures.

Gayle
09-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Therefore, I strongly encourage the archivists to copy linked pictures (and maybe other resources referenced if appropriate) over to the bimmer.info server and change the links to point to the "permanent" pictures.

Good one. Thank you soooo much for this suggestion. If Ed is agreeable, I might ask for help with that. My learning curve for dealing with hosting and linking would be too steep.

In the process might try to repair some posts in picture oriented threads that had picture posting issues to begin with and have the annoying red x. We could get people to email the picture in.

SRR2
09-05-2005, 08:47 AM
And while we're on the subject, I'd also suggest trimming off all the pictures, links, etc. in the posts' sigs. I wouldn't regard sigs as archive material. Plus, all that extraneous matter just makes life more miserable for dialup users.

Gayle
09-05-2005, 08:54 AM
And while we're on the subject, I'd also suggest trimming off all the pictures, links, etc. in the posts' sigs. I wouldn't regard sigs as archive material. Plus, all that extraneous matter just makes life more miserable for dialup users.

Another excellent suggestion. Keep em coming.

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-05-2005, 09:01 AM
The posts can be moved or copied. I'm suggesting the we choose:
"Move thread and leave redirect in previous forum"

Also I placed a link at the top of all the message board page to the Archives.

And I made the Nuggets default view showw "all threads in the last year", as per Gayle's request.

And I can provide web space for any or the Archivers who want it. I provide FTP access via a UserID and password. You can then FTP anything to a location like:
http://www.bimmer.info/~e34/

Gayle the "idea GAL". I love having women on the board. It may inspire my daughters to get their hands dirty helping daddy.

Gayle
09-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Gayle the "idea GAL". I love having women on the board. It may inspire my daughters to get their hands dirty helping daddy.[/QUOTE]

Another idea for you. If you want your daughters to be motivated when it comes to being the mechanical mistresses of their own bimmers, for their 14th birthday get them a really sexy one that has issues and needs work. Tell them it is all theirs at 16 if they can get it running by then (with your loving daddy help of course but they have to do the work--you are there for support and consultation only). I would even start talking about it when they are about 12. This will have more benefits than you know. Besides saving them from a lifetime of lying mechanics, all that daddy bonding time will will help them manage the wolves that will be after them starting at about age 13.

Bill R.
09-05-2005, 10:23 AM
give me the shirt off your back as well as the hat off your head too !:)
Now that cox cable isn't screwing too bad today i should be able to read and post some. Thanks again Ed for getting the pic posting thing going for me.
Gayle whats with the lying mechanics comments? I've noticed mention twice in the last 10 or so posts of yours , first "so the mechanics can't lie to me" and then a "lifetime of lying mechanics".... I would think that as a former psychologist you would know better than to perpetuate this unfair stereotype. I'm fairly certain that the ratio of lying mechanics to all other fields is about the same.

Suspension & Steering - billb
Wheels, Tires & Brakes - pyro
Engine & Drivetrain - dacoyote
Body & Interior - mattyb
Electronics & Lights plus A/C - 93-525i
Miscellaneous Bimmer Nuggets - Gayle
Jokes Archive - liquidtiger720

Everyone above can "manage threads". They can not edit threads or delete them, but they can move them to the Archive Boards. I've also added Bill R., just because he's such a great contributor, and frankly I'd give him the shirt off my back for everything he's done for this board. Winfred, I'll do the same for you if you're interested (shirt off back or moderation capability!).

Anyway, Bill R. you're very right about questioning the accuracy of solutions in the posts that we archive. But I think the board will moderate itself in that respect also. Bad information in the archives can be "called out" and corrected, over time. I think this is a good start. Thanks everybody for all your help and participation.

I just now set this up, so if anyone has problems, please let me know. All you new thread managers have to do is:

1) Click on a Thread.
2) Click on Thread Tools
3) Click on Move/Copy Thread
4) Choose Perform Action
5) Choose the correct Destination Forum
6) leave the default "Move thread and leave redirect in previous forum"
7) Click on Move / Copy Thread

It's easier than described.

Thanks all.

Kalevera
09-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Bill, actually, I'm not so sure about that :)

I spent a few minutes in an Advanced Auto Parts store yesterday (don't ask) and noticed a display with innumerable brochures related to automotive maintenance on it, free for the taking. Two, in particular, caught my eye:

Communicating with Your Mechanic

and

Choosing a Good Mechanic

Both pamphlets, in addition to being rather hilarious reads, are indicative of how the lack of regulation in this business leads to horror stories. I'm not suggesting that the business needs regulation, but it's important to note the difference in certification and the requirements for doing business when comparing it to, say, the medical field. Despite years of formal education and difficult testing, doctors are continually accused of making mistakes, lying, and all sorts of other unsavory business practices that have created one of the biggest social crises that this country currently faces. I think we'll both agree that the ASE and the like do little to instill confidence in a customer and qualify a technician to work on a car. Good factory training's another thing, but it still won't change a participant's ethics. Brett occasionally talks about fair pricing and the blatant gouging in this business, and I agree -- it's hard to find a mechanic who won't take advantage of a customer. Earlier this summer, one of our masterpieces was somewhere on the east coast when one of the more readily accessible A/C lines blew. The owner elected to take it to a shop off of the highway, where he was charged $1500 for the line, r134a refill, and labor. If there was more money in it, I'm sure people would be suing their mechanics up the wazoo.

....my "thanks for the kind words" phrase seems to be entering into the lexicon of the board.....Gayle?!? :D Not that I care, or that I should be presumptuous enough to suggest that I coined the phrase, but it's funny to see it pop up on the board occasionally.

best, whit

632 Regal
09-05-2005, 12:12 PM
wOw this is a bit "off topic" now isn't it? Brandon should put another sticky on this.

:D

liquidtiger720
09-05-2005, 07:09 PM
okay, yea.... uhmm, Keep the threads active for at least a month before you archive it. Because, you can not respond to a thread in the archives. Got it?

uscharalph
09-05-2005, 08:05 PM
wOw this is a bit "off topic" now isn't it? Brandon should put another sticky on this.

:D
Liquidtiger's right. Once it goes to the archive, we can't add to it.

liquidtiger720
09-06-2005, 06:27 PM
I think the threads are being archived way to fast.

Gayle
09-06-2005, 06:33 PM

Agreed. We need a wait to let them go through the cycle of the month in browse mode and but then not forget. Does anyone use that subscribe to thread feature? I have seen it and never used it. Maybe that is a way to mentally hang on to something for later archiving.

liquidtiger720
09-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Agreed. We need a wait to let them go through the cycle of the month in browse mode and but then not forget. Does anyone use that subscribe to thread feature? I have seen it and never used it. Maybe that is a way to mentally hang on to something for later archiving.

I use it on a different forum. But, this forum dosn't move as fast so it is un-needed here. Sometimes its easier because you can read the responses in your email - very effective if using outlook express, and not have to click and view the thread if you do not have a response to the conversation anymore.

mattyb
09-06-2005, 06:48 PM
im trying to think of it like growing a bonsai plant. its all there in front of u , u want to pick at it every day but u know u have to wait and let it grow other wise there will be nothing left to do and there willl be no leaves left to pluck.

632 Regal
09-06-2005, 06:51 PM
I think it will be cool to simply link noobs to the relivent links without searchin myself for them, but when its all done we have NO purpose for the noobs...everything is gonna be off topic, or is this the plan to free up our time for our BS?

billb
09-06-2005, 06:55 PM

from the last week or so, as they looked to be closed, or wrapping up, as far as resolution. I have now switched to going from oldest to newest, starting on page 390. My bad. I did not know at first that relocating them closed them to new posts. If you were having a problem with what I was doing, let me know!!

Suspension and steering archivist Bill B. at your service.

SRR2
09-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Not only is the Archive Trigger being pulled prematurely, but the one that went off the top page today has links to a freaking ebay auction in the original post! And the whole point of the post is to discuss whatever that auction concerns.

Bad Bad Bad.

IMO, the presence of ANY link to ebay should AUTOMATICALLY disqualify a thread from archiving. I'm wondering if there shouldn't be less judgment and more rules-based decisionmaking when it comes to managing the archiving operation.

Gayle
09-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Not only is the Archive Trigger being pulled prematurely, but the one that went off the top page today has links to a freaking ebay auction in the original post! And the whole point of the post is to discuss whatever that auction concerns.

Bad Bad Bad.

IMO, the presence of ANY link to ebay should AUTOMATICALLY disqualify a thread from archiving. I'm wondering if there shouldn't be less judgment and more rules-based decisionmaking when it comes to managing the archiving operation.

We are open. Let's create some rules.

1. No archiving of threads with active ebay links if the ebay item is the focus of the thread and not just an example of what is being discussed.

2. ?

billb
09-06-2005, 07:25 PM

Bad Bad Bad.

...I gave careful consideration to what I've archived so far. Have passed on some stuff, generally messed up one so far that Pete (pmlmotorsports) is selling, so I'm reposting his last message text here:

Some asked for height from center of wheel to upper wheel arch, others wanted ground to upper wheels arch. I am supplying both.

Driver's Front: 13 7/16" - 25 5/16"
Passenger Front: 13 1/2" - 25 3/8"
Driver's Rear: 13 1/4" - 25 1/16"
Passenger Rear: 13 1/4" - 25 1/16"

Hope this helps......PS I Have 1 complete RD 100% stainless exhaust for $530 delivered and 6 center/middle units *** $190 delivered (***requires Supersprint Rear section @ $590 delivered to complete exhaust system)
Let me know if interested...... first come first served

liquidtiger720
09-06-2005, 07:55 PM
from the last week or so, as they looked to be closed, or wrapping up, as far as resolution. I have now switched to going from oldest to newest, starting on page 390. My bad. I did not know at first that relocating them closed them to new posts. If you were having a problem with what I was doing, let me know!!

Suspension and steering archivist Bill B. at your service.

I wasn't even sure who was moving them. I was just making a general statement. :D

Anyways, keep up the good work everybody.

pyro
09-08-2005, 08:28 PM
so hows it going guys?

Gayle
09-08-2005, 08:38 PM
so hows it going guys?

You tell us. I am sort of done with my area. I have moved everything I am aware of there. Have a couple of recent threads bookmarked and am just waiting for them to get appropriately aged and ripe before moving those too. "Nuggets" is already a little over full. Sigh.

Plan to move the pictures to the server so the links don't die. That is a later job though.

What do you think?

liquidtiger720
09-08-2005, 08:49 PM
You tell us. I am sort of done with my area. I have moved everything I am aware of there. Have a couple of recent threads bookmarked and am just waiting for them to get appropriately aged and ripe before moving those too. "Nuggets" is already a little over full. Sigh.

Plan to move the pictures to the server so the links don't die. That is a later job though.

What do you think?

I think you should have posted a picture of yourself before you archived that one.

Gayle
09-08-2005, 08:53 PM
I think you should have posted a picture of yourself before you archived that one.

I have a feeling that a picture of me will find its way into the archives sooner or later :D

winfred
09-08-2005, 10:14 PM
the scanner takes a good pic :D http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/mugshot.jpg

I have a feeling that a picture of me will find its way into the archives sooner or later :D