PDA

View Full Version : Paint restoration

gtopaul
09-04-2005, 07:02 AM
The paint on my 525iT, Cashmere Beige, has a lot of fine scratches in the clear coat. I don't plan on painting it until next year but has anyone found a good product that will help cover up some of these fine scratches? I'm going to try some super fine polishing compound today and see if that helps.

Paul

632 Regal
09-04-2005, 07:06 AM
are you going to wheel it out or try to just cover them?

dternst
09-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Why just cover the minor scratches up? Why no just remove them all together? After having the car fully detailed and the scraches removed properly, you may decide that repainting won't be necessary.

There are a lot of really good products on the markets that will remove those surface imperfections: 3M (available at most Auto Retail Stores), Presta, 1z Einszett, Zaino ZPC, Mother's (also available at select Auto Retail Stores)... I can go on all day, the list of products are endless. Whatever product you use, I would invest a cuple of hundred dollars into a good random orbital buffer. I'm not talking about those 10" buffers from Sears, I'm talking about the Porter Cable ROB for $110 from Lowes. You will also need to invest in some foam pads for the ROB. I buy all of my detailing supplies from www.detailersparadise.com. You can purchase everything or just the pads.

A little investment and some elbow grease may prevent you from spending $3000-$5000 to repaint your car next year.

You may also want to checkout this detailing forum: www.detailersclub.com. Those guys can answer any questions you may have about detailing equipment and processes.

One more thing... Don't forget to take a few pictures after you're done.

David

gtopaul
09-04-2005, 02:26 PM
might be the way to go and save me some money in the long run. Last time I tried to use a power buffer the results weren't pretty (burnt). Learned my lesson so better leave it to someone that knows what they're doing. I can maintain it after that. I just didn't know if those fine scratches would come out or not.

Paul

SharkmanBMW
09-04-2005, 02:49 PM
I had some scratches, not fine at all, that came out and disappeared after a compound and buff.
Maybe a clay bar is what you need... show us some pictures.

Pofke13LT
09-04-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure if it works on other colored cars, but my I found that if you splash some of that Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover [the gunky stuff, not the spray] right onto the scratches, and then take a rag or something and put a whole lotta elbow grease into it and the scratches dissapear... It does wonders, drop me a line if you try it.

Gayle
09-04-2005, 07:13 PM
might be the way to go and save me some money in the long run. Last time I tried to use a power buffer the results weren't pretty (burnt). Learned my lesson so better leave it to someone that knows what they're doing. I can maintain it after that. I just didn't know if those fine scratches would come out or not.

Paul

Did you use a circular buffer or the random orbital? Big difference in danger factor.

Whit was trying to talk me into changing my own oil. The why he hooked me with was "attention to detail". The same thing applies here. You can do a much better job than a professional because you will have the attention to detail a professional won't.

The times I have had my cars professionally detailed, my reaction has always disappointment. "I just paid how much for this? It would have looked way better if I had done it myself." I get every little spot and put extra work and try different products/techniques on places that don't turn out the way I want. Professionals don't.

On idea I came across on one of the detailing forums could help you if you are concerned about causing damage. The article suggested you go someplace and buy a hood off of an old car and practice your porter cable technique on it. See what the differ products and different pads do. Get your technique down there. I had seen an old mercedes hood with that giant grill that I loved at a Pick Your Part. I had planned to go back and get that, practice on it, and turn it into some kind of funky lawn sculpture afterward.

Ended up attacking hubbys 525 with the porter cable before doing that exercise and the car suffered no ill effects. I have had lots of experience with sanders and I am careful in general, so I wasn't too worried. I think it would be pretty hard to do damage with the pc except at the edge of the ridge on the hood.

At the point in time when we were thinking about keeping the 525, we were considering having it repainted as we can do so relatively cheaply in Mexico. After I detailed that car within an inch of its life in preparation to sell it, I am convinced it did not need repainting. The person who said the porter cable might save you a paint job is right.

Here are some links to articles about the porter cable

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=47

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/detailing/3579628-1.html

liquidtiger720
09-04-2005, 08:42 PM
^ On what gale Gayle said. If you decide to go with a rotary buffer, you will definetly want to try it out on a hood. Go nab one from a junk yard, and practice. The easier route is buying a PC. The only downside is that it will take much longer to do the same work amount of work as a rotary buffer. There is also a learning curve with the rotary, which is pretty much non-existant with a PC.

Dang Gayle...it sounds as if you should detail my car!

ScottyWM
09-04-2005, 08:56 PM
If your's is anything like mine (and I've heard from a lot of cashmere beige owners) it's toast. Professional detailer can make it look better for a few months. Keeping it washed and waxed will keep it okay for a couple weeks. My clear coat is actually gone in two places about the size of my hand.

I've talked to many different professionals hoping one of them would say they could do something to make it look better - no luck. I take pride in keeping it running well and don't worry about the paint so much.
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/96/96274/folders/98321/1114855SunroofSeal.jpg

Yes Jeff... I know your's doesn't have any problems, but I've seen others like mine, and seen posts like this before....

Gayle
09-04-2005, 10:05 PM
My clear coat is actually gone in two places about the size of my hand.

Missing clear coat. Don't you just hate it that when that happens?

Here is a quote from Nick Hay that describes exactly how issues like that should be handled (the condensed version: ignore it and love your car)

Judging by the triumphant sounding "MY BIMMER " as the topic starter, BM-Boy is proud of his buy, and that's the true sign of a REAL Enthusiast!! How sweet will BM-BOY's E34 look once the paint gets polished or resprayed, a smart set of alloys fitted and the 'cloudy' lenses get replaced with angel-eyes!! Being an enthusiast is not about how much you spend on your car (some of us can barely afford the maintainence), how low the miles are, or 'kepping up with the E34 Joneses... Its about the feeling you get from grabbing your keys, getting in your car, and going for a drive... Its the feeling (And the stupid grin I get on my face!!) of seeing your car from a distance, parked, poised, ready for action. Its about making the best of what you have, and what you can afford... Whether your E34 is a Show-stopping beauty, or a $500 'well-loved' beater isn't important... As long as you love her, and treat her as you believe she deserves, then **** what anyone else has to say!!

gtopaul
09-05-2005, 07:02 AM
I had some scratches, not fine at all, that came out and disappeared after a compound and buff.
Maybe a clay bar is what you need... show us some pictures.
I tend to probably agree with ScottyWM that a repaint will probably be required but always open to suggestion. The clear coat seems to be like it's been run through an automatic carwash all it's life. I've got a couple of mediocre pics loaded up at:

http://members.aol.com/gtopaul/private/paint001.jpg
http://members.aol.com/gtopaul/private/paint003.jpg

Thanks!

Paul

ScottyWM
09-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Paul - Those pics look very similar to the sides of my car. I've also got some round spots on the roof about the size of a drink coaster that have scratches in them all pointing the same way in the circle, but each circle pointing different direction - figure that one out!

I too have a rear panel that was resprayed at some point that is in much better shape than the rest of the car.

I call it a 20-20 paint job, looks great from 20 feet when the car is moving 20 mph.

Gayle
09-05-2005, 08:45 AM
I tend to probably agree with ScottyWM that a repaint will probably be required but always open to suggestion. The clear coat seems to be like it's been run through an automatic carwash all it's life. I've got a couple of mediocre pics loaded up at:

http://members.aol.com/gtopaul/private/paint001.jpg
http://members.aol.com/gtopaul/private/paint003.jpg

Thanks!

Paul

Big difference between clear coat that has big patches peeling off and clear coat that has scratches.

I think this paint job can be saved. Lots of product out there designed to solve this problem. I liked P21S Paintwork cleaner for hand application--if you are not ready to pop for the porter cable. P21S Paintwork's mission is to deal with swirl marks. Lots of other good products mentioned earlier in this thread.

It is a good excuse to hang out in the garage and drink beer. What have you got to lose? Detailing can be a zen experience.

http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/polish.html

Gayle
09-05-2005, 08:59 AM
http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=15