PDA

View Full Version : Interior Lights Don't Work (1992 525 Wagon)

imnprsd
09-04-2005, 06:01 AM
My interior lights don't work at all. However, the visor and glove box light work fine. All fuses are okay and all my other electrical systems are working too. Any ideas? I'm thinking there is a micro switch somewhere or a relay????

uscharalph
09-05-2005, 12:18 AM
My interior lights don't work at all. However, the visor and glove box light work fine. All fuses are okay and all my other electrical systems are working too. Any ideas? I'm thinking there is a micro switch somewhere or a relay????
Have they ever worked for you? On mine the previous owner never used the and I had to play around with the toggle (On / Off).

New bulbs? Pull the assembly and clean the connections?

imnprsd
09-06-2005, 12:15 AM
I have owned the car for only 3 months and they never worked. Do you know if one of the bulbs are bad then the entire system will not work? I find that hard to believe, but yesterday I fiddled around with the 1-2-3 switch and the following morning my battery was dead. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

moogplayer
09-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Same predicament:

I've also had my touring ('94) for three months, and the interior lights have never worked (but the visors & glove box are fine). My 3rd brake light is also out, but I hear it's common that the wiring gets pinched back by the hatch, and frays over the years. Don't think that has anything to do with the dome lights but who knows? After hearing your saga I don't wanna mess with the switch.

uscharalph
09-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Same predicament:

I've also had my touring ('94) for three months, and the interior lights have never worked (but the visors & glove box are fine). My 3rd brake light is also out, but I hear it's common that the wiring gets pinched back by the hatch, and frays over the years. Don't think that has anything to do with the dome lights but who knows? After hearing your saga I don't wanna mess with the switch.
It's not the trunk hinge problem. I changed the bulb and kept turning the switches on and off. You could always do this with the engine on. Just leave it in position 1 or 2 when you're done. You can also pull the assembly out and clean the connections.

Karl
09-06-2005, 04:44 PM
I have owned the car for only 3 months and they never worked. Do you know if one of the bulbs are bad then the entire system will not work? I find that hard to believe, but yesterday I fiddled around with the 1-2-3 switch and the following morning my battery was dead. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Start with the light that has the switch, pull bulbs and check the switch. With switch in the center position there should be no voltage, and power on with the switch to either side--assuming touring interior lights work like sedan.

Yokokibe
05-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Thought I would add on. I have a 92 touring with a similar problem on the interior lights. Visor and glovebox lights work fine, but no other interior lights.

I bought the car used. PO said the lights suddenly stopped working "A few months ago." PO said OBC code for rear brake lamp came on "A few weeks ago." I guess it's possible that the two problems could be related.

I found the cable for the rear brake lamp was damaged at the lid hinge. Although the cable was not grounded when I checked it, conductors were exposed and it's possible that the cable could have shorted.

Repaired the cable. Rear brake lamp is now ok, but still no interior lights.
With ignition in position 0, checked the lamp toggle switch above rear view mirror. There was no power on the lamp toggle switch. My electrical drawings show that power should be present at the lamp toggle switch, even with the ignition off.

It would be helpful if someone can tell me the routing of the harness that powers the interior lighting. I'm still troubleshooting.