PDA

View Full Version : Pads are nearly new, if rotors warped can I change only rotors?

RobPatt
09-03-2005, 11:41 AM
thanks. -Rob.

Bill R.
09-03-2005, 11:48 AM
good where they have been wearing against the old rotors...and brake manufacturers recently have put out some info that might be useful.. Most people use spray brake cleaner to clean off the oil and cosmolene on their new rotors, they now recommend that you clean them with whatever spray cleaner and then use warm water and detergent with a scouring pad on the rotors too.. this will get ingrained particles of metal off the new rotors and the typical benefit has been better performance all around on the brakes.

thanks. -Rob.

Jay 535i
09-03-2005, 11:51 AM
good where they have been wearing against the old rotors...and brake manufacturers recently have put out some info that might be useful.. Most people use spray brake cleaner to clean off the oil and cosmolene on their new rotors, they now recommend that you clean them with whatever spray cleaner and then use warm water and detergent with a scouring pad on the rotors too.. this will get ingrained particles of metal off the new rotors and the typical benefit has been better performance all around on the brakes.

WTF, why can't they do that at the factory?

Bill R.
09-03-2005, 11:57 AM
/
WTF, why can't they do that at the factory?

RobPatt
09-03-2005, 01:31 PM
... just thinking ahead to do the arms/rotors combo if the arms alone don't cut it..... HOWEVER, car has 140K miles on it w/everything original except thrust arms, rotors, and struts... so guess it could be something else like tie rods or lower control arm.... (of course I'm talking about the 55mph shimmy and steering wheel vibration/wobble when stopping from almost any speed....)

thanks bill r.

632 Regal
09-03-2005, 01:54 PM
the shimmy is most likely the thrust arm bushings but ANY play in the steering can cause the same symptom. Inspect the whole thing before you tackle the thrust arms and get what you need and do it all at once.

Kalevera
09-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Well, they spray the cosmolene on to protect the rotor during shipping and an indefinite storage period.

best, whit

Jay 535i
09-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Well, they spray the cosmolene on to protect the rotor during shipping and an indefinite storage period.

best, whit

Oh, okay then. :)

Does it really need to be removed with brake cleaner? Won't the first few miles take it off?

Bill R.
09-03-2005, 02:46 PM
cosmolene to keep parts from rusting while stored as Whit noted, brake pads and oil grease or cosmolene don't mix...Grease and oil are lubricants to help prevent friction, the brake pads work off of friction... By loading up the brake pads with grease or oil they lose their ability to stop, once a pad is contaminated with grease or oil it always will effect its ability to stop.

Oh, okay then. :)

Does it really need to be removed with brake cleaner? Won't the first few miles take it off?