PDA

View Full Version : 520i info requested

JT520i
09-03-2005, 05:45 AM
Hello all,
I recently bought a '93 euro-spec 520i. The car's in excellent condition for its age, with 160k kms. The car is something of a stripper, with manual window cranks, black-out window trim, cloth seats, and no a/c (though it does have a sunroof). It does, though, have an M-badge on the trunk. While certainly not an M5, I have seen "M-edition" 3-series driving around. Guess my question is how can I tell if this is a legitimate e34 M-edition (if such a thing was offered), or did a prior owner stick an "M" badge from a cereal box on the trunk for nothing more than how it looks. The car has good, though not outstanding acceleration, but it corners great (don't they all, though). It also seems to have a deeper exhaust note than standard 520i's I have noticed, but it is a 12-year old car and probably has had exhaust replaced at least once in its life. Didn't come up with much from a site search, so thought I'd ask the experts. Thanks, JT

jplacson
09-03-2005, 06:04 AM
same here... except my car is an '89. AFAIK, there was no M-edition on standard models back then. I think that's just a new thing with the E46 series.

Mine has an A/C but it was added by the previous owner. Everything else is like yours...crank windows and sunroof... M/T

**add'l info... although that's a pic of my car in my sig.. I recently got an M5 kit for it (no rear wing..not fond of them) since my front chin got damaged, I decided to get the kit instead. Will update my pic soon. And no, I don't have the M badge. :P

Interceptor
09-03-2005, 06:35 AM
same here... except my car is an '89. AFAIK, there was no M-edition on standard models back then. I think that's just a new thing with the E46 series.
There was an option to pay extra for the following, at least in Europe:
- M-Tech exterior (front and rear bumper, rear wing and sideskirts)
- M-Tech interior (3-spoke M-Tech steering wheel, sport seats and a gear knob with the M-Tech logo)
- M-Tech suspension (shorter springs, stiffer shocks and thicker sway bars for better cornering)

Someone correct me if something is missing :)

jplacson
09-08-2005, 08:09 PM
I think this was just a cosmetic kit? Not sure. Cuz the newer "M-tech" line has mods even under the hood. A 325M Sport has a big difference from the stock 325i.. M Sport has different DME, and change in bore/stroke as well I think. With the E36, the "M" package came with all the cosmetic trimmings and suspension upgrade... but no mods in the engine.